Pontiac Street Performance
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password

All Forums
 Pontiac Performance
 New Visitors Center
 Is it time for a new, fresher look at PSP?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  09:46:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd like to get some feedback from everyone on whether the main site (Pontiac Street Performance) needs a face lift.

The current design has been tweaked here and there, piecemeal as tech improvements have changed, for many years now. The current design may be familiar but is it time for a cosmetic change to freshen it up? Does it matter to you? Now, I'm not talking about the message board--that's another story.

Your comments, good, bad, indifferent, are appreciated.

Email me at bboyle@boyleworks.com or tell me openly on the board.

Thanks guys.

Bill Boyle

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

RayK
Cochise

USA
925 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  11:42:19 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, maybe put a couple of car or engine pics on there and maybe change the car pics out every couple weeks or something if you think it needs a new look? Take the pics from the members area and place them on the main? Some of the guys may get a kick out of seeing their car "in the spotlights" so to speak. Just a thought.

1969 Firebird 461, #62 iron heads, Comp roller, Performer RPM, Q-Jet Turbo 400 w/ Continental converter. GM 8.5" 10 bolt with 3:73 gears.11.50's@ 119+ MPH
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  11:54:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe Joan Rivers would have some suggestions.

Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  1:11:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill, I like Ray's idea, that would be cool to see different cars on the maain page.

Conrad
79 Trans Am 400 auto Crower 60210 Torker II Holley 750 vac sec. #12 heads,3500 stall.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1672 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2008 :  1:25:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Honestly - I like it the way it is.

It is straight forward and simple to use. I really dislike sites that are over cluttered with too much junk.

I come on here and get right where I want to go no matter where that may be with no effort at all. Finding things is a breeze.

As far as adding members pics as suggested, sure, why not. Just please don't try to fit a bunch more stuff on here - I think it's a real nice site the way it is. There's my 2c's.

Thanks for the board BTW - always a big help to all.
Go to Top of Page

chuckies76ta
Cochise

Canada
333 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  08:01:24 AM  Show Profile  Visit chuckies76ta's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Gotta be able to post pics..

Charles
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  09:39:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Pitts and Charles--
Posting pictures addresses the message board. Please tell me about the main site. Thanks. Bill

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7219 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  10:38:46 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's a main site?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  11:33:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Simple is good for me. Other sites are so gunked up with trash, it's hard to navigate. That's partly the reason I only come here.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

rad400
War Paint

USA
1251 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  1:44:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think Bill can keep the main page simple, and still show members rides, and still be easy to navigate. With out a lot of junk.

Conrad
79 Trans Am 400 auto Crower 60210 Torker II Holley 750 vac sec. #12 heads,3500 stall.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2008 :  9:51:30 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I like simple too. Some website today are very cluttered with too many things. It's like a warehouse or candy store--hard to concentrate on what is important.

If you look at it like the web site was a car...even though you wash it, drive it, admire it, there comes a time to rotate the tires, change the floor mats, maybe even get some new rims to give it a bit of a different look. That's what I have in mind. So your suggestions, even those from Joan Rivers, are important. Who knows, one of you may come up with something brilliant.

I'd also like to add more tech articles, more engine combinations, and restoration tips.

Keep the ideas coming--there are hundreds who are registered who have not commented. If you can type--write and express yourself.

Phil--yes it is true, there is a real website hiding behind the message forum...and the earth is round too.

Bill

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 27 Jun 2008 9:56:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark C.
Sitting Bull

189 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2008 :  11:31:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil

There's a main site?

Gotta go with Phil on this one. I rarely go to the main page.

I like simple like the rest.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7219 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2008 :  8:28:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do you mean by "The Earth is Round"?!!

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  10:09:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Never you mind Phil--it's okay. Are you still watching that old 12" Black and White television? They've pretty much got the color thing right now--it might be a good time to pick up a nice 19" color set.
-------
On a more serious point:

C'mon guys, there are hundreds of registrants on the PSP board and only a handful of you have voiced an opinion on the face lift question I raised. What's with that?

----
Go to Top of Page

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  10:20:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK I finally got a new password. The main board has some confusing items. It's not really clear what the Pontiac Service sign is connected to and the steering wheel is a little busy. Maybe a panel with bars for the feature that you could click on to move around? Also I would like to see more readers rides and I would even add some pictures of my own land yacht if it was easy enough. I also like the idea of changing the rides so it would be interesting to check out the page. Like others have said, I dont visit that page very often and sometimes forget that it is there. DG
Go to Top of Page

Lucas
Cochise

USA
428 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2008 :  11:39:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm easy. If you think it needs a face lift, go for it. Not like it will keep me from coming around. This is the only Pontiac site I go to. I have been to PY a couple times but it just seems to cluttered. Clean and to the point is good with me.
Lucas

"wildfire"
Real pontiac power
Go to Top of Page

drobe2
Cochise

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  3:24:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the Readers' Ride list, how about putting a next, previous selection and perhaps a numbered list so that one can go back or forward to a selection without going all the way back to the main page to make a selection from the list of cars. Such as: 1 2 3 4 5***** previous next last

Thank you!
Go to Top of Page

drobe2
Cochise

USA
333 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2008 :  3:32:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I my voice communications, I always recommend this site to people that don't know about you being here!
Tell us what's behind the Indian Head.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1672 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  9:38:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

I have something that I think could be of big help to those having trouble with their sleds.

We have all had strange noises that drove us nuts trying to pin-point. Would it be possible to have a trouble shooting section that allows downloads of either sound bites or video's or both?

Examples:
Basics that may stay on the site for long term such as rod knock, lifters, wrist pin, etc., etc.

Then a temporary section for things like odd ball squeaks, knocks, bangs or whatever coming from different areas such as the front end, tranny, rear end, or where ever?

I think this may be of great help.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  10:49:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian--
It certainly is helpful to look at parts that have broken or that can be examined. More so, to use sight and sound to help assess a problem.

Loading a photo to the message board requires Photobucket (or other permissive site) that provides FTP space that permits the PSP board to draw on the picture and display it on the message board. I have loaded pictures for people on the message board. To do audio---may not be possible.

Brian, do you have a digital video camera? You could shoot (audio and visual) of your engine (for example), download it to your computer, save it in an avi format, and send it to me by email. I could then download it to my computer and with a little luck and ingenuity, post it to the site somewhere. I'm game to try it.

Bill

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  11:18:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Trying to see if we can see audio and visual----

http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/graphix/BobSeeberGTO.mpg

http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/graphix/BandOfBro-MainEdit.wav

http://www.boyleworks.com/ta400/graphix/thatsnotright.wav

-------

Looks like it works via links.

Bill

----
Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  11:25:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
It would be good to show how much meg the download is for the file.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7219 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2008 :  11:51:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm still getting used to this format.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1672 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  08:12:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Phil,

I truly like this format. I do not think it should be changed so much as added to. In other words, leave this forum alone. What I am proposing would be a separate page linked to the home page done in a way that does not touch this forum or clutter the home page.

Bill, I will look further into it and get back with you.

Thanks,

Brian
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7219 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2008 :  2:31:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Howabout a separate forum just for Cobrabill?

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  07:23:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil--have you spotted any changes to the web site yet.

Bill

----
Go to Top of Page

8Tbird
Buffalo

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  6:33:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Bill, I do like how you have added the links to the top of the main page. Other than that, everything looks good as is, very user friendly. Very comfortable with it.

...never enough hours in the day...
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7219 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2008 :  8:23:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Uh, OK I'm officially blind!

Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  05:20:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm new here and while the site "looks" dated by today's internet standards, it is easy to navigate. I prefer a simple clean look that loads fast instead of a fancy website that takes forever for some flash or music to load.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  06:27:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Vid-
Welcome to the Restoration and Performance Forum and to Pontiac Street Performance. I adhere to the keep it simple stupid (KISS) principle. The site follows it closely. Most of the guys want it that way. Some want it to be more basic than it is.

Many things were written 11 years ago and changed here and there without "knocking the house down" and starting over with the latest coding or web editing programs. The site grew and the chore of doing everything over was too burdensome. Good imformation and detail have kept many an enthusiast returning over the years, not flashing startups of the site with music and animation.

Come back, participate and by all means enjoy the Pontiac hobby. Send me info and a photo of you car for Readers' Rides.

Bill Boyle
Webmaster

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 09 Jul 2008 08:58:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1672 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  08:34:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I still like the original page.....lol
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7219 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2008 :  5:29:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well said Bill.

Go to Top of Page

dgray
Cochise

845 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2008 :  10:13:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really like the vintage Pontiac addition. My first Pontiac was a 55 Starchief hardtop. I may get another one someday. My brother has a 56 Chieftan that he is working on now. Good stuff. DG

Edited by - dgray on 10 Jul 2008 10:16:04 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

848 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2008 :  06:00:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd love to start featuring some of the vintage Pontiacs on the site. These older cars, the older I get, the more I appreciate them. My childhood was filled with them. Seeing them always brings back "happy, carefree days." Geez, gas was 23 cents a gallon or less.

My Dad drove a 39 Pontiac. I'll have to look for some photographs of it, scan and post a few.

Ask your brother to send some pictures of his restoration efforts. This could be developed into a good, helpful resource.

Bill

Go to Top of Page

John-Henry
Sitting Bull

USA
102 Posts

Posted - 20 Jan 2009 :  3:07:41 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about having girls in bikinis jumping on trampolines on the main page, would make me want to visit it more...

...and if anyone misbehaves, we have them get in speedos and jump on the trampoline before they are allowed back on the site.

Just a thought...

Jim, Brian you up for it
Go to Top of Page

Vanmor
Cochise

USA
573 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2009 :  12:34:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Vanmor's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

I like the site as it is. Uncluttered and only fellow Pontiac lovers to communicate with. I was reading your sections on heads, cams, and other tech stuff before I realized there were forums on here. That was years ago of course! I don't mind change, but change is not always necessary for change itself.

Vance

"A man has got to know his limitations." Dirty Harry

Edited by - Vanmor on 29 Jan 2009 12:36:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
568 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2009 :  12:55:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi bill
it is a great idea to add pics and video, would be very enjoyable to see more of the 2+2's like Jack Anderson's and and the other classics, would be easier than trying to navigate through readers rides! these pics just make winter harder, can't wait for the car shows!!! the video on bob s. GTO was great. brings back memories of my '68 Lemans with the big '69 Gran Prix engine in it.
mike
Go to Top of Page

jackf
Buffalo

USA
44 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2009 :  11:06:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the idea of more tech articles and a trouble shooting area for the most common problems that crop up.

Jack.
Go to Top of Page

SpankinElroy
Tribal Scout

2 Posts

Posted - 02 Oct 2009 :  01:44:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, did this crowd ever come to a general consensus? I'm a fan of both the modern look (to some degree) and the functionality that improves our enjoyment. I've owned my 76' T/A for 25 years, but I never stop making changes to it. To me, that's the best part....endless possibilities.

Spankin' Elroy
Go to Top of Page

BlueOvalBird
Buffalo

USA
76 Posts

Posted - 19 Jan 2010 :  12:46:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i'm new here, but i can see the value in a 'parts review' section. No endorsing, just folks who've used the parts people are looking for and sharing their experiences good and bad(i.e. fit and finish issues, does the part deliver the reults,etc.) one of those 'scale of 1-10'/ star ratings all that stuff

...Powered by Pontiac paid for by Ford
Go to Top of Page

tjdjr
Tribal Scout

USA
20 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2010 :  07:57:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The only thing I like on some other sites is when you hover over the subject the whole thing appears to let you know the content. That's a nice feature.
Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 24 Jan 2010 :  2:55:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bill,

most of us never see the main page due to we have the second page bookiss my gritsrked.

I would suggest not using a quick time period. Takes to long to load.
The main page could use an update it is dated. The graph paper needs to go. The advertisement should go on the second page were most of us spend our time. Main page should use some sort of flash player showing picture of our cars randomly. Try to keep the steering wheel though an some of the Nastalgia well.

These are my suggestion and sure not everyone going to like em!

Good luck Bill!
Go to Top of Page

HollyK
Tribal Scout

1 Posts

Posted - 04 Feb 2010 :  10:27:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't think it matters...

tombone1974
Sitting Bull

USA
174 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2010 :  5:11:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might as well throw in my two cents worth. Looks good to me. My philosophy is "If it ain't broke, keep on fixing it then it will be."
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: