New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

hugh
Cochise

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  12:13:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got a new cam that came with a 400 Pontiac that I need to identify. It has the number 211 060 stamped on the end and thats all. Anyone know what this is?

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4002 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  09:53:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hugh, it could be a serial number, lot number, grind number or a part number. Hard to say. I did some searching in my books and did not find anything close. I don't know.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Heddman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

hugh
Cochise

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 16 Jun 2008 :  1:07:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My suspicion is that it may be a "generic" re-builders cam. I couldn't find it in any of my books or on-line either.
Go to Top of Page

hugh
Cochise

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  12:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last try, found "1805 CMC" cast in the side of the cam, maybe this will help. Has pink paint one one end. Hate to toss it in the scrap bin cause it is new. But if I can't identify it I can't use it. Any suggestions?
Go to Top of Page

Mr. P-Body
Running Bear

USA
2244 Posts

Posted - 20 Jun 2008 :  1:08:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mr. P-Body's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hugh,

"CMC" is Camshaft Machine Company. I forget which town, but they're in Michigan. They are the vendor that grinds ALL of the US aftermarket flat-tappet hydraulics of a "replacement" nature, and most of the smaller performance grinds for Comp, Crower, etc. Don't misunderstand that last statement. All of the "masters" from Comp and Crower (for sure, maybe others) are "propietery" and NOT the generi-grinds like Wolverine, Elgin, Edelbrock, etc. It was explained to me, CMC was the vendor to GM, Ford and Chrysler for OEM cams. Since the transition to rollers and OHC engines, their machines were sitting idle, so they could offer a good price to the aftermarket to grind their smaller stuff. Comp assured me, zero of their rollers and flat-tappet solids are done there, all being done "in house". Comp told me Crower has the same policy, and I have no reason to doubt them.

Measure the base circle with a dial caliper. Then measure at the nose. Subtract A from B. Multiply by rocker ratio (1.5), and that will at least give the "lift". There's a chance you can determine the grind from that information.

Jim
Go to Top of Page

hugh
Cochise

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  10:15:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jim, thanks for the good info. I'll see what i can dig up. hh
Go to Top of Page

desbird
Sitting Bull

150 Posts

Posted - 22 Jun 2008 :  11:19:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
it should read CWC instead of cmc CWC means cample wyn connon wich is in muskegon mi. 20 miles from me they make most cam blanks and each compay grinds them to there spec.
chuck
Go to Top of Page

hugh
Cochise

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 23 Jun 2008 :  10:41:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It is most defiantly "CMC". If I turn it upside down the c's are backwards. hh
Go to Top of Page

hmstorrs
Tribal Scout

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2009 :  12:14:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I realize this has been closed but in case someone wants the help, CMC is the machining company of the cam, cwc is the manufacturer of the blank, 1805 is the class or classification of the steel alloy, there should be a manufacturing month (letter) year (single digit), day (double digit). This is the casting information for the blank. CWC blanks are cast for specialized or common blanks, CMC is for Camshaft Machine Company, makers of most or at least a lot of the after market Cams. The number on the heel is usually a serial number by the machiner of the Cam. You can probably fax Camshaft Manufacturing Company for the information on your cam.
Go to Top of Page

Vid
Kicking Horse

USA
1685 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2009 :  11:46:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even with all this helpful information, it still sounds like a crap shoot to me. Besides, picking the cam is half the fun of a rebuild
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2014 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: