The PSP Forum (please read)
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

875 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  12:36:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Friend and fellow Pontiaker, Greg Miller has been sponsoring the PSP forum for many years now. He done it without charge. I received an email from him today that the time has come for him to stop providing server space as he is moving on to another phase of his life.

First off, I thank him immensely for doing what he has done for so many years. He has allowed us to communicate through the forum on many matters and that has helped many of us with our cars and Pontiac hobby. Secondly, I will be looking into a way to continue with the PSP forum and Greg has indicated he will support that and help.

Services to a new server provided must be swapped before the end of June 2020.

Bill Boyle
Ye Olde Webmaster

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

875 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  7:16:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking at the level of activity over the past few years, activity, that is posts being made, have steadily declined since 2010 when Pontiac stopped building cars.

Perhaps it is time to let go of the PSP forum by letting the forum expire in June.

Thoughts? Please let me know. If it doesn't make sense because there are so few people involved anymore, does it make sense for me to try and preserve the forum?

Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Crazy Horse

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  7:28:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I visit every day and try to help when I can.FWIW,Tom
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

875 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  7:36:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know Tom you're one of the faithful.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

875 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2020 :  7:47:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Forum platform being used is from 2006. Trying to preserve it may be difficult. There's a lot of good information contained within the threads...I would hate to loose it in the blink of an eye. I've tried to keep the Pontiac hobby going and have spent a great deal of time documenting the escapade with my 79 TA resto project. It did draw attention, but other than that, there has been little activity on other topics. I can only assume people have lost interest in their cars and have moved on. People go through stages and the Pontiac hobby may be and interest that has been lost.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

875 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2020 :  08:34:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As of 9:30am Saturday May 9th 34 people have read this thread and only one person, Tom, has replied. No one has an opinion? C'mon speak up.

Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Crazy Horse

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2020 :  09:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is there a way to do updates to the forum and not loose past info? Such as updates to be able to down load photos from a smart phone with out going through a intermediary hosting site? Pictures bring life to topics like your T/A restoration, down loading pics needs to be as easy as possible. Every time I have used a picture hosting site I have had some sort of trouble with it. I figure it is a matter of time before the photos I have posted on here will not work.

If I can be of some sort of help with this site let me know. I would like to see PSP keep the arcive info and do some updates if it is possible?

I was thinking last year about this time you switched the site over to a different host and it went pretty flawlessly. Is it getting problematic to have the older format hosted?

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

875 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2020 :  1:25:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jay, it was about a year ago that I was forced to move the website (not the forum) to a different service provider. The man who ran the hosting service died and his spouse wasn't interested in keeping the business going. The transfer to the new service provider was seamless.

However, the forum is on Greg Miller's server. In order for the current iteration of the PSP forum to continue the content would have to be transferred, probably the same way. I have not yet heard from the fellow that runs the hosting service for me, but I've asked if he can help me with my hosting problem.

Assuming he can help and is capable of taking the hosting service over from Greg Miller, the forum would remain the same. The forum version is old and I don't think it is capable of being updated. What I would like to see is the ability for folks like you to simply be able to post photos at will and not have to use some photo company that falls apart after a while or changes their policies about photo uploading.

I don't know at this moment where things are going. However, the PSP website was started in 1996 and that has run for almost 24 years. The current forum has been in effect since 2006 and there was a forum before it that was very basic. The current forum was a big improvement but limited compared to what is available today. Losing posting content after all these years of Q and As isn't what I want to see happen.

Go to Top of Page

Kiwi Mal
Crazy Horse

New Zealand
698 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2020 :  4:51:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Most forums seem to need you to use a host for photo's. It can make it time consuming and sometimes annoying as they are a bit clunky at times. I know of a forum here in NZ where you can post photo's straight from your phone which makes it very straight forward.
Probably why facebook is popular, but then you have no archive. Be interesting to see how many use the facebook Pontiac pages as well and if they participate on them more often. I belong to two, one USA which is very quite and one NZ which is active.

I can't say to much as I have not been posting here for a long time.
Go to Top of Page

phil400
Crazy Horse

Canada
523 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2020 :  7:39:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too like Tom visit the forum every day, but don't post much unless I can help or contribute to a thread.

This was the very first forum I ever joined and posted, I'd be sad if it went away but I understand if the volume isn't there to justify the work for you.

The one thing about this site that is a niche for lack of better word is in the name Pontiac street performance, I can't count how many times a guy comes on a forum wanting to build a solid street engine on a budget and before ya know it, everyone has him building a race engine.

I'm sorry I can't offer more helpnor ideas to boost more posting. My guess is alot of general questions can be answered through a Google search not needing to post.

The idea of being able to post pics without a hosting site like photobucket is great idea. Whem that whole fiasco happened. All my threads with pics were ruined.

78T/A 4-SPEED/Original Paint/ Mine since '99 Third and final owner as long as I'm alive.
77 T/A Sold
85 Monte Carlo SS Sold
83 Mustang GT Sold
"Let me tell you what Melba toast is packing"
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Crazy Horse

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2020 :  9:55:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The direct posting of pics would be nice, but I could see if being difficult to integrate into the program. I like the way the rest of the site is setup. Maybe I just need to find a better picture hosting site. I had one that was easy to use and was as app on my phone but it stopped working.

Probably the only way to add a direct loading picture format would be to have the old threads archived with a link. I have 2 cousins that are computer engineers and a friend I do car projects with that is a computer software programmer/anlysis, I would be happy to reach out to any of them.

Since we have lost magazines like car craft and HPP, I think sites like this are becoming more and more important. The T/A restoration has become a resource like what one would have read about in a magazine. Facebook groups are drive by comments most of the time and do not come close to getting in depth like what I have seen on forums. I glean a lot of information from forum and magazine searches. Jay

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 11 May 2020 06:42:08 AM
Go to Top of Page

68bird
Cochise

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2020 :  08:14:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I visit the site almost daily as well. It?s helped me through many little issues during my first and second Pontiac builds. It?d be sad to see it go. Thanks

Robb Hermes
Go to Top of Page

68bird
Cochise

USA
249 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2020 :  08:18:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure why the question marks show up in place of apostrophes. Maybe an indicator that its time for an update?

Robb Hermes
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

875 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2020 :  10:15:22 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Some good news. Received a short reply from the PSP website host service provider. He tells me he can help...and will get back to me shortly with details etc. We'll wait and see.

Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1756 Posts

Posted - 14 May 2020 :  06:49:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill - I am still a die-hard follower. This is the best Pontiac site and truly hope it does not go away.

As you know, I have been a member since the old site way back as far as 1999 I believe.

If you can keep it alive - please do.

Thank you for all the years!
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1383 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2020 :  10:09:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I usually visit once or twice a day and post when I can help but, like others, I might post more if posting pics was easier. I too struggle with these pic hosting sites and have just kinda stopped posting pics, on this forum and the others I frequent.

I sure would dislike not being able to talk with you guys and seeing your projects.

I'm hoping it can stay up and running.

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1557 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2020 :  10:55:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just saw this post now. I didn?t see it as I never look at the very top of the page as there are so many stickies up there!
I visit a few times a week still. Just nothing going on Pontiac related right now, so I have no questions to post. I do post when I can help with someone else?s question though.

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 16 May 2020 :  12:24:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I know that many things have changed over the past 10 years. We are all getting older and keeping things simple and easy is something that greatly appeals to me. It probably does to you too.

FYI, I've consulted with the host service provider who may be able to move the forum to his server, hopefully in tact, without losing any information. I hope to find out in a few days what the full story is on that.

I've also asked whether something can be done so that photos can be uploaded to his host server and then linked to the PSP forum. Again, I have no answer, but if that could be done, it would make life better for you guys and make uploading a snap. Again, simple and easy is better.

I have to make a brief comment about navigating the PSP forum. There is an "Active Topics" link in the menu just below Pontiac Street Performance. For those that check out the forum routinely, clicking on the link will give you the latest active topics to review. You can also modify it to cover the past 12 hours for example, or the previous day, week etc. This makes checking fast and easy.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  08:22:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My host service provider for the PSP website has examined the PSP Forum (Bulletin or Message Board). The program is obsolete and was last upgraded in 2010. Transferring the existing program with all it's content is problematical. He would expect broken functions and lost content and would be a gamble to try. It would be labor intensive to boot and cost me nearly $1000 to see if it would work.

He also informed me that the current PSP forum is archived and is accessible should enthusiast desire to explore the old forum in the archived status. Archiving current posts was last done in October 2019 so new threads and posts after that would be missing from the archive. Everything up to October should be available for exploration/research etc.

What has been suggested is to create a new message board format using phpbb programing. I was given information on that and I am still reviewing too see how it works. Creating a brand new forum is most likely than trying to spend a ton of money and gambling on keeping the current PSP forum running.

The cost to create a new phpbb forum for us to use is affordable and a few donations from you guys will help defray costs to me. Monthly hosting charges will also be incurred as well.

It is my understanding that phpbb supports inclusion of photos. I've asked my service provider on whether his server could be used to store photos that won't disappear like those from Photobucket et al. He replied yes, but would limit the size of photos being stored. I am unclear on whether the enthusiast would have to resize the image in pixels or whether his server has the ability to do it automatically. My wife, who is far more computer savvy then me, believes the photo must be resized by the enthusiast before including it in the post. She is probably right but I will get that clarified.

Here's the final thing and this was brought up by my wife. Is it worth the effort, that is, is there value in spending money and setting up a new forum? Has time passed for people to sit in front of their home computers or Ipads and review posts and answer questions? Are Pontiac enthusiasts still willing to do that? Is that process also obsolete? I am paraphrasing her comments, but she makes sense to me. I am passing these questions on to each of you. Please give me feed back because big decisions need to be made soon.

A new forum will require registration like before with a user name and password to post. The same user names and passwords being used by you now should be okay again. (BTW, the archived PSP site will be "read-only.")

Feed back guys, I need your feedback on this. Time is of the essence. Thanks.

Bill Boyle

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Crazy Horse

USA
675 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  08:54:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I visit the board as I said everyday along with PY,PZ,301 board,Yenko site and Speed Talk and a couple others.IMO,the PY board is the most active,the most used by the hobby.Like CP which has almost no attendance PSP for me would be missed just because its been around a long time.Tom
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Crazy Horse

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  4:29:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it were me I would go the archive route on the old forum rather than risk creating a monster trying to make mods to the older format. Would this site then mainly be a Pontiac archive site similar to other sites that have info like Wallace Racing and some of the other Pontiac info sites with out a forum? I can see that as an option for not loosing the huge efforts made to keep the site viable all these years.

As for your wifes question: are people still willing to answer questions related to Pontiacs. Just from my vantage there is still a lot of that going on but Facebook Pontiac groups pulled people away from regular sites. Looking through archived names from threads there are many people that are still active on other sites that posted on here that still post on PY and Facebook Pontiac groups.

It comes down some to what to the best way of handing down the Pontiac enthusiast hobby from one generation to the next. Is it through a forum, through archived sites, through both? Between the forum, the torque and power section, and some of the Jim Hand articles the site has a lot of unique tech info in it not found anywhere else. I have seen print outs of tech info from this site in Pontiac enthusiasts toolboxs that have never made a post on the forum. I have also been surprised by the number of private messages I have received from people needing help but did not want to go use a forum. But they found me through the forum. There seems to be a lot of dimensions to this are forums necessary question. Jay

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 17 May 2020 4:37:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1557 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2020 :  7:05:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Tough call
I agree with corncob though, I think Facebook took a lot of posting away from here, not that I have a Facebook account.
As I?ve mentioned, I come here a few times a week, but personally I?m not really doing anything on my GTO, so nothing new to post on my end. When I get to the point in my life where my other projects are done (my ?62 Mercury engine rebuild, and totally renovating a rental property) I?ll post more.
One idea, if it helps- I belong to a website geared towards renovating old homes. They have it set up through PayPal where you can automatically send the website a predetermined amount of money each month to sponsor the website. For this I don?t have to deal with ads when I visit the site. It?s a privately run smaller site similar to this one. I throw them a few bucks a month gladly, as 17-1800?s homes are another obsession of mine. I?d be willing to do that here too!

Edited by - 67drake on 17 May 2020 7:10:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

phil400
Crazy Horse

Canada
523 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2020 :  06:42:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree, I'd go archive the old form. Why gamble.

Since there is so little traffic, if you did keep it going, I'd try the way of creating one that has little to no maintenance or fees, meaning less work and/or costs to you.

Especially now that your t/a is done

78T/A 4-SPEED/Original Paint/ Mine since '99 Third and final owner as long as I'm alive.
77 T/A Sold
85 Monte Carlo SS Sold
83 Mustang GT Sold
"Let me tell you what Melba toast is packing"
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2020 :  10:16:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Phil400 commented: "Especially now that your t/a is done "

Is it ever done? My wife always asks: When will it be done? She's been asking that since 1996. It is a rhetorical question and I always look back at her and smile say it will never be done. (It always one more thing...)

On the serious side, yes a new forum should be inexpensive. What I will do, if things work out, is to cut down the number of topical sections. Originally the forum started with "Restoration and Performance" and everything Pontiac was lumped into that section. As time passed, I saw a need to break it down and created specific sections. This was under the belief that finding topics and addressing specific issues would be easier and more organized.

There will be a visitors section, a Performance section, a Restoration and maintenance section, and probably a Firebird and GTO section. Finally there will be a Neutral Zone for random topics like before.

No final decision on anything at this point. I'm still talking with my host service provider and soliciting feedback from you guys. What everyone tells me is helpful.

----
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1756 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2020 :  12:38:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope it stays simple to use as it is now.

The other forums are cumbersome.

Thank you Bill!
Go to Top of Page

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
175 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2020 :  4:14:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sure hope you can keep this site going in some form Bill, there is just so much good information here. My experience with changing web host hasn't been good. i was a member at the crossfire injection forum for years, similar situation to what you are describing happened there. The owner turned it over to IB and I spent countless hours transferring the tech articles to the new site and a year later they dumped the site to a very unusable format and all the tech articles were lost. Best of luck for a smooth transfer

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 18 May 2020 :  8:00:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here's some more information from my service provider.

I asked him about photos. I want you guys to be able to post photos without the hassle of Photobucket etc. My goal is to use my service provider's server to store your picts. However, like everything he doesn't what photos stored that are huge. Smart phones take great photos and they have considerable dimension. Photos posted to websites are usually at 72 dpi. Cameras take photos at different sizes beyond 72 dpi, more like 400 dpi. All digital photos need to be resized to a dimension that will be acceptable for storage and acceptable in size by the new phpbb platform program.

More to come on how this will work....

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 18 May 2020 8:02:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2020 :  09:47:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
This info is of importance, please read.

The phpbb program allows the administrator (me) to permit enthusiasts that register with user ID and password to publish images automatically to the forum.

This means: simplicity.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 19 May 2020 2:18:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Crazy Horse

USA
669 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2020 :  9:54:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds great and will be a great improvement. Jay
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5399 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2020 :  5:18:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote

BREAKING NEWS

The current PSP forum, which has been used by Pontiac enthusiasts to post questions and solicit advice from other Pontiac enthusiasts for the past 16 years is coming to a close in June 2020.

The PSP forum will continue using a different, more modern platform that will be easy to navigate. One very important feature will be the ability to publish digital photos directly to the post. This will enable enthusiasts to better describe and or illustrate their commentary. The new forum will require users to register and those already registered may re-register using their current registered name and password, their choice. More information to come as the platform develops during the next 2 weeks.

Once again, a thousand thanks to Greg Miller who has graciously sponsored and hosted this current forum since 2006. Many thanks must also go out to the hundreds of Pontiac enthusiasts who have contributed to this forum. It is here now and will be in the future.

Note: The PSP forum is archived and that link will be provided so old topics can be consulted when needed.

Bill Boyle

----
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1557 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2020 :  5:31:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds great Bill!

Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers