New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1086 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2020 :  12:23:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just scored this one a few days ago, still need to get it home (in need of borrowing a trailer in the Baltimore area...I really don't want to drag her home on a U-Haul).

Been wanting a '73 4-speed GTO or G/A for a long time as a companion to my C/A, just could never find a suitable one at the same time I had some money on hand...until now.

I ran the PHS documents before pulling the trigger. It's a numbers matching unrestored running original with 80K miles showing, with the following features/options per PHS paperwork:

230-HP 400 4-barrel
4-speed
Air Conditioning
Safe-T-Track Rear
P/S, P/B (which I think is standard)
Soft Ray Glass
Rear Bumper Guards
Body Side Molding
Ralleye II Rims
G70-15 RWL Tires
AM/FM Tape (which I assume is 8-track) Stereo
Admiralty Blue paint
"Parchment" (what I call parchment) interior - White seats/door panels, Black dash/console/carpet

Get this...it was originally sold by Wilson Pontiac in Silver Spring, MD (my home state).

The seller stripped it to bare metal, revealing a solid shell, with the intention of repainting it black. He lost his storage when his aging parents decided to sell their house, prompting him to sell the car. My plans are to repaint it obviously in the original color, and restore the interior to factory specs, but I am undecided on how far I want to go with the mechanical restoration (because they're only original once).

Will Rogers never met a liberal.

Edited by - Brian Baker on 08 Mar 2020 12:24:37 AM

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1086 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2020 :  12:27:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do I post pics here from my computer?

Edited by - Brian Baker on 08 Mar 2020 12:29:11 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5366 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2020 :  08:58:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You have email.

Bill

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Crazy Horse

USA
645 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2020 :  1:31:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Been so long since I have seen a 73 GTO I had to look up a Photo to refresh my memory! A 4 speed too, very cool! Jay

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 08 Mar 2020 1:32:20 PM
Go to Top of Page

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1086 Posts

Posted - 08 Mar 2020 :  11:39:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's actually a Grand Am. Even better.

Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Crazy Horse

USA
645 Posts

Posted - 09 Mar 2020 :  07:37:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I some how missed the G/A thread title, Grand Am sightings are few and far between too...

4 speed with A/C, would it be a 3.23 geared car?

I am with you on keeping the drive terrain original if it is still in there, it has survived this long, kind of a shame not to keep it there. Original on the outside anyway. :).

Jay

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 09 Mar 2020 08:52:04 AM
Go to Top of Page

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1086 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2020 :  09:01:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes 3.23 gears. Non-A/C cars got a 3.42 gear when ordering the Safe-T-Trak rear.

Go to Top of Page

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1086 Posts

Posted - 10 Mar 2020 :  09:07:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got my PHS package in the mail yesterday.

Admiralty Blue with a Beige interior (black carpet, console and dash with "off-white" seats and door panels).

400/4-brl with 4-speed and 3.23 Saf-T-Trak rear.

A/C, dual exhaust, soft-ray glass, rear bumper guards, Ralleye-II rims, GR70-WW tires, tachometer, body side moldings, outside sport mirrors (body color), AM/FM Tape Stereo, complete the list of options.

Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7309 Posts

Posted - 13 Mar 2020 :  1:07:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Congrats Brian! They were awesome cars. I grew up with one next door that my neighbor bought new in 73. It was metallic silver with black interior. What a beauty! It always bothered me the 73 GTO got shortchanged on the front end and should have gotten GA type front end but with the GTO hood. Instead it got stuck with the boring/ugly LeMans front end and chrome bumper. A clear sign the GTO was being phased out.

Good luck with it and I am looking forward to some B&A pics. I've only ever seen one 73 GA with the 4-speed in person so you must have scored a rare one.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. LS swaps in Pontiacs should only apply to Fieros.

Edited by - Phil on 13 Mar 2020 1:08:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1086 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2020 :  12:16:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks, Phil. She's coming home either on Tuesday or Wednesday, depending on seller's schedule. I sent some pics to Bill but he hasn't had a chance to load them up here yet.

It's true that 4-speed Grand Am's aren't common, but I often wonder just how "rare" they are. I've heard a number of 182 or 183 tossed around for years for total '73 4-speed production, but I don't believe that's accurate. I think there were more. Probably not as many as there were Can Am's built (1,377) but I think 182 is low.

Go to Top of Page

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1086 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2020 :  01:43:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Got the G/A home yesterday morning at 1:15am after being on the road all day to get it. Longest 350 mile (one way) road trip ever.

The car starts up easy after one pump of the gas and settles in at a fast idle. Once warm it kicks down to a normal idle. Had it running for about 10 minutes today while wifey tried pulling it into the garage. Shifter was sticky and she had a hard time finding gears. I took over and had the same problem, especially with reverse. I finally remembered on these (from dealing with Phil's G/A 25 years ago) that you have to lift up on the shift lever before you can throw it forward onto reverse. After that it was easy-peasy. Ran fine, didn't overheat and the clutch works just fine. Maybe because it had a 2019 NY state inspection sticker on the windshield that it's so mechanically sound?

Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1744 Posts

Posted - 19 Mar 2020 :  10:53:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Love the body styles for those years. I had a 75 Lemans, great looking cars.

I think that the 70's GM midsize were all great. Next cars to really gain since the 60's cars have mostly been scooped up.

Good luck with it.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2019 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: