Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

punkin
Tribal Scout

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  3:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I'm slowly but surely converting my mostly race 68 Firebird to mostly street use. It has a PMD 455 in it by the way.

Currently I have a Mallory Unilite distributor without vacuum advance and an MSD 6AL with aftermarket coil. Rather than change out the ignition box and coil, I would like to just install a distributor with vacuum advance that can trigger the MSD box. It's been a number of years since working on the ignition side of this thing but it seems that these days most of the distributors I'm finding at Jeggs/Summit are "Ready to Run" and/or "HEI" units.

Can anyone recommend a distributor that has a hall-effect or magnetic trigger output and a vacuum advance all built in?

Thanks!

Lee
Sitting Bull

193 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  5:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have not used this myself, but it is worth considering. https://www.fuelairspark.com/xdi-ez-run-distributor-for-pontiac-301-455.html

After MSD got bought out by the people that also own Holley, and production started being outsourced, some of the MSD people came over to FAST. They have added a lot of ignition stuff, but have not done much advertising.

CURRENT: '73 T/A clone, starting to get less boring!...
67 Firebird (sold) 11.27 @ 119.6 Feb. '05 issue HPP
69 Falcon wagon, 10.51 @ 130mph Feb. '10 issue PHR (sold)
72 Cutlass Convertible, first car, owned since '82, now with a 6.0 LS, mild, putting just under 400 hp/tq to the wheels.
www.LNLPD.com
Go to Top of Page

punkin
Tribal Scout

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  6:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great tip...I'll have a look. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

Sun tuned Ram Air
Tribal Scout

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  10:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Back in the late seventies early eights i used the factory point distributor and a Mallory volt master two coil and a MSD 6A in my 69 GTO the points triggered the MSD, it worked fine. you could do the same thing with a pertronics ignitor II or a breakerless-SE single wire module by Lectric Limited or a fAST XR-i . You would have a stock distributor with vacuum advance and no ignition points. Without spending the money to buy another new distributor.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: