Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

punkin
Tribal Scout

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  3:20:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello all,

I'm slowly but surely converting my mostly race 68 Firebird to mostly street use. It has a PMD 455 in it by the way.

Currently I have a Mallory Unilite distributor without vacuum advance and an MSD 6AL with aftermarket coil. Rather than change out the ignition box and coil, I would like to just install a distributor with vacuum advance that can trigger the MSD box. It's been a number of years since working on the ignition side of this thing but it seems that these days most of the distributors I'm finding at Jeggs/Summit are "Ready to Run" and/or "HEI" units.

Can anyone recommend a distributor that has a hall-effect or magnetic trigger output and a vacuum advance all built in?

Thanks!

Lee
Sitting Bull

191 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  5:56:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have not used this myself, but it is worth considering. https://www.fuelairspark.com/xdi-ez-run-distributor-for-pontiac-301-455.html

After MSD got bought out by the people that also own Holley, and production started being outsourced, some of the MSD people came over to FAST. They have added a lot of ignition stuff, but have not done much advertising.

CURRENT: '73 T/A clone, starting to get less boring!...
67 Firebird (sold) 11.27 @ 119.6 Feb. '05 issue HPP
69 Falcon wagon, 10.51 @ 130mph Feb. '10 issue PHR (sold)
72 Cutlass Convertible, first car, owned since '82, now with a 6.0 LS, mild, putting just under 400 hp/tq to the wheels.
www.LNLPD.com
Go to Top of Page

punkin
Tribal Scout

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  6:22:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great tip...I'll have a look. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly