No good deed goes unpunished
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5288 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2019 :  1:22:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My son drives a Camaro. Last night while filling his gas tank at a local station, the car opposite his would not start. My son offered to jump start the car. He did just that and the fellow drove off after thanking him. My son, left the station and within 30 seconds began receiving messages about his engine overheating. He was panicky. He had driven the car all day without issue.

I questioned him on what steps he took to jump start the guys car. Finally it came out that he had his car's engine running as he put on the jumper cables. He did not set it up with the engine off and then restart his engine while the guy started up his engine. I believe, this was a big mistake and caused the computer's brain to burp.

This morning my son called from his car stating the car was giving him overheating information again. He was but 5 minutes into his drive. I recommended he cancel his appointments and get his car to a dealer for OBDII analysis. I'm betting a power surge screwed something up. Hope they can simply reset the computer.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Bill Boyle

USA
5288 Posts

Posted - 01 Aug 2019 :  8:01:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
As the world turns, a major coincidence, that a minor coolant leak exposed itself after refueling and helping out another motorist. The estimated repair to the coolant system--$900. My son is taking it okay. The car should be ready to go tomorrow.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 01 Aug 2019 8:02:46 PM
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1542 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  02:05:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That?s too bad. I figure what goes around comes around, so I?m sure he?ll get helped out when he needs it. Who knows, if he didn?t have the car looked at when he did, the coolant leak might have been costlier, or left him stranded.
I almost always stop to help people, unless on my way to work or something. I couldn?t tell you how many people I?ve pulled out of ditches over the years. I rarely take money. I figure it will come back to me, and it has!

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5288 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  08:01:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Drake, my belief that there was a connection between jump starting the fellow motorist and the running hot alerts was false. The close proximity of the two events, within seconds, just made no sense. My son's 2011 RS Camaro has 83 k on it and this coolant issue is the first mechanical issue. It's been extremely reliable for him.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5288 Posts

Posted - 03 Aug 2019 :  5:45:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My son picked up his Camaro this afternoon and within minutes the same warning alerts came on. He called me and was really P Od. He took it back to the dealership and 3 guys were there scratching their heads.

These guys don't get it. It has something to do with the jump start and the computer getting false information that is providing alerts which are probably false readings. The car will stay at the dealership until they figure out what is going on.

This is why, I never allowed the Pontiac dealership to touch my car. He paid a $900 bill and that did not fix the problem.

----
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Sitting Bull

191 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2019 :  3:05:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
New cars, and old cars retrofitted with computers, do NOT like voltage spikes! It is not a bad practice to disconnect the battery when any welding (like exhaust systems) is being done to the car. And ignition OFF on both cars, until after jumper cables are attached.

It sounds like maybe a circuit controlling the radiator fan may have been zapped. That could leak to the overheating, and then to the coolant leak.

Good luck to him!! I've had my share of the "no good deed..." myself :-/

CURRENT: '73 T/A clone, starting to get less boring!...
67 Firebird (sold) 11.27 @ 119.6 Feb. '05 issue HPP
69 Falcon wagon, 10.51 @ 130mph Feb. '10 issue PHR (sold)
72 Cutlass Convertible, first car, owned since '82, now with a 6.0 LS, mild, putting just under 400 hp/tq to the wheels.
www.LNLPD.com
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5288 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2019 :  7:53:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coincidences make for interesting theories. I don't believe in coincidences. My son tells me, that the reason for the overheating wasn't related to false computer alerts, at least this time, it was because the tech working on fixing the coolant leak didn't burp the air out of the system.

Professional tech? Professional work? Dealership work? Pretty amateur in my opinion. I'll know more this evening after my son gets off work.

----
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: