New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1539 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2019 :  04:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Long time no write. I still pop in here every once in a while, but not posting a lot. Last August I left my job of 32 years and moved out of the city to a small rural town here in Wisconsin, took almost a 50% pay cut to slow down,down size, and live in Gods Country. I?m loving every minute of it and have spent more time with my wife than I have in years (no jokes please, that?s a GOOD thing!)
Now the problem. My GTO just sits in my pole barn and I don?t really have the itch to drive it. My son came home on leave Friday and I let him take it out for a ride,and that?s the first time it?s been out since I parked it there when I moved. I didn?t even go with.
A little back story is that I bought it back in ?07 while looking for the ?right? GTO. I wanted a ?65and would settle on a ?66 or ?67. Well a friend of the family had this one for sale and it did have the 4speed I was looking for. I got impatient and bought this ?71. My mistake. It?s a great car and I always get compliments on it, but I never ?loved? it.
My wife thinks I?m nuts because I put so much work into it, but honestly I want to sell or trade it. I would be happier with an automatic now and I?m not really into the street racing scene as I was in the city. I think I might even consider a Catalina at this point! I?m kind of stuck as I bought it when the market was high, then dumped a crap ton of $ into the engine, so I know I?ll never get my money back out of this one, but at the same time I don?t know if I want to start over?
You guys that have had your car a long time ever deal with this?

71' GTO Original 400 M20 3.23 posi
13.95@102.1 MPH on street tires

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5264 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2019 :  06:50:59 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
"You guys that have had your car a long time ever deal with this?"

Yes, Drake, I've dealt with the same feelings.

When I retired in 2003, I was caught up in the post retirement scene. We moved 2700 miles to South Florida. My position within the Air Force was a reputable, many people knew me, or knew of me, my participation with my Trans Am in local events in California were high with club activity, frequent cruise-ins, the PSP website and forum. Everything was good. But hanging over me were several dark clouds. My father died just before retirement as did my best friend, my 14 year old "velcro" collie. I was grieving and that emotion continued for several years. The career move was hard too.

Retirement was another life changer. Our family had mixed emotions about it. I was mentally tired of the long days yet enjoyed my Air Force life and the assignments I had within it.

Moving back to South Florida was shocking. Thinking that life would be more carefree, it turned out to be hard. My oldest son hurt his back and needed surgery. His wife lost her job. Our youngest was starting college at a location a good day away from home. My wife and I persuaded our eldest and his wife to leave their residence in Pittsburgh and move to Florida. They did and both had no job and sonny boy needed back surgery. With little money in their hand, they came and lived with us (for 2.5 years). Our Florida home was not our own. My TA which was still in great shape was left dormant in my car trailer in my garage where I could not get to it. When I finally did, it had to be outside and suffered under the brutal hot sun and despite wearing a good quality car cover on it, the car declined in appearance. There were no events to go to either. The muscle car scene was non-existent. The closet drag strip was many miles away and there was no one to share my car interest with. The Trans Am sat and I thought why do I need this car anymore. I'm not having fun with it, heck I am not having fun, period. While I did build up the engine with the hopes that I'd find a group of guys with muscle car interests, that never came to fruition. All I had for daily Pontiac activity was the PSP website and forum. Once each year for as long as it lasted, I attended Pontiacs in the Park in Virginia. That, my friend, was my only injection of real Pontiac activity. That was a godsend. Had I not been able to get that "injection" of Pontiac spirit, the TA would have been sold, the PSP website and forum would have gone away.

I struggled. Our eldest finally moved out, our youngest graduated, my grieving dissipated, and time and those things mentioned above slowly but surely changed as did my approach with my car. My car was my love. I let it go and it looked like an old wandering bag lady.

Finally, after considerable thinking my decision was to make the best of what I had...I would restore the car and instead of drag racing it, hot rodding it, I'd do what seemed to be what people did here, and that was, participate in car shows within the state. I switched gears and regained a better outlook and finally, restoration began on the car. That journey continues...and the journey has been the Pontiac therapy for me. The restoration journey may be the reason why it has consumed so much of my retired life and the main reason it has taken so much time for it to get done. I need that activity to stay focused and to keep my hobby interest and spirit alive. Working on the car makes me feel young. It keeps me going.

Drake, I'm sure life changes effect all of us in some manner. What was cool becomes staid. It takes a lot to realize what was cool and made you feel good, can be revisited but with modification and that change can renew your spirit and hobby interest. Be grateful for what you have, appreciate what you have and know there are many gear heads out there that would love to have what you have in that GTO. Shake it off, re-focus, that's what I did.

Bill

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

phil400
Crazy Horse

Canada
513 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2019 :  1:50:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drake, its 20 years this year I own my car,and yeah there's been years where it mostly sat, unused wether it'd be lack of time,weather, or desire to drive it, I hear you, also being that I'm a commercial driver I don't always feel like going for a ride on the wknd after driving all week for a living.

Also thoughs of wanting something else, but I could never let go of the car, its there when I want it.

For me what helped was actually using the car, not for pleasure, but taking it to work, doing the groceries in it. Using it the way it was intended to be used.
I've also come to live road tripping in it, me and my women, we'll leave for a wknd in it, its exhilarating to have your car on the open road, its the ultimate test of your machine...I have no OD trans,no a/c, none the pampered amenities.

Drive the car, reacquaint yourself with what draws us to these cars in the first place. Its a great car Find a new use for it.
Jmho.
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Chief PONTIAC

2016 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2019 :  3:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought my Trans Am about 31 years ago and over those years it's had quite a few different combinations in it. Always street driven, even though much of it was limited around town in the early days where I had to add a bit of race gas to premium gas due to the compression ratio. However back then I did not mind as I always had a 5 gallon jug of race gas on hand, and it wasn't all that expensive then. However for about 15 years now it has been pump gas friendly with the previous 580 hp 462 and the current 650 hp 505, and with both on occasions I go on a cruise 100 miles or so into the countryside for a "$100 dollar hamburger". But some of the non driving is weather related, I won't drive it if I know it's going to rain or drive in our horrid Texas summer heat mid day or in the afternoon. No air conditioning and it's hard on this old man :)

I Agree, with the idea presented here to actually use the car on occasions for more than just pleasure. I've taken my car to the grocery store on occasions and into town for errands. Last week I took it to brunch for a change, about 40-45 mile round trip.

For me it's not lack of time, I'm retired but unfortunately it does sit in the garage more than it should. However I won't sell it.
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1539 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2019 :  4:07:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks guys.
I have 3.90?s in the car now which was great for the city, but now everything is miles apart with no traffic lights or traffic. So if I did keep it I?d have to go 3.08 or so to make driving here enjoyable. I can set it up myself, so that isn?t the issue. Matter of fact I have some 3.08?s on hand.
Part of the problem is I wish I had bought exactly what I want instead of compromising. Nothing I can do about that now, but if I sought out a ?65 like I wanted originally I know I?d be back in the pole barn daily wrenching on it, so I?m kind of torn

Edited by - 67drake on 09 Jul 2019 4:09:02 PM
Go to Top of Page

phil400
Crazy Horse

Canada
513 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2019 :  08:55:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How tall are your tires? Are the roads mostly Two Lane Blacktops?....

78T/A 4-SPEED/Original Paint/ Mine since '99 Third and final owner as long as I'm alive.
77 T/A Sold
85 Monte Carlo SS Sold
83 Mustang GT Sold
"Let me tell you what Melba toast is packing"
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
488 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2019 :  2:26:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ha.....Two Lane Black Top...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7CHDVb6tJCI

I can see the dilemma if you have one car and a compromise was made on the body style you wanted. The good thing about searching for a finished car is they are often bargains compared to the money that was invested in them. Kind of have to keep that in mind if you change cars. Even though you do not get the money out of your car you have in it, there is a good chance that a restored 65 would be in the same category. Especially true in the auction circuit. Some classic car dealer may be willing to deal too, but they are in business to make money. The unrestored cars you get in reasonably cheap but only the DIY guys can really justify getting them back on the road because restoration gets pricey, more than some cars are worth unless you find the right buyer. Could always make it a 2 car GTO family, if the 71 is finished maybe it is time to start another project...

I have a collection of cars, owned most of them close to 30 years. My problem has never been getting tired in a car. It is focusing on one :) Jay

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 10 Jul 2019 2:30:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Chief PONTIAC

2016 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2019 :  3:31:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Of interest....

Axle Gears vs. Engine RPM

Considering that lower gears provide greater torque multiplication, it would seem that they are always the best choice for performance use. However, lower gears require more input speed (engine rpm) to produce the same output speed (tire rpm). Higher gears multiply torque less, but they require less input speed to deliver the same output speed; that?s why axle ratios also determine engine cruise rpm.

Read more:
https://www.hotrod.com/articles/how-gear-works/
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Chief PONTIAC

2016 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2019 :  5:03:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It won't happen... and a pipe dream... but ideally it would be nice to have your highway cruise rpm at or near the engine's torque peak. This will provide crisp throttle response for passing on the highway without the need to downshift. And the obvious, the change in gear ratio is going to change things.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3518 Posts

Posted - 11 Jul 2019 :  11:54:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a fan of the 3.08 with a 3 speed automatic. It will cruse at 65 without a lot of drama and kill some wheel spin on take off, with a posi.
I had a 3.73 in 4 speed car. But I never could shift quick enough for comfortable grocery getter driving.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

beertracker
Cochise

433 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2019 :  07:52:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have one Pontiac (not driveable) and yes I do get tired of working on it sometimes. My problem is lack of focus and the hot TX summer! bt
Go to Top of Page

phil400
Crazy Horse

Canada
513 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2019 :  10:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Drake, a friend of mine just gave me some issues of Hemmings Muscle Machines magazines in the April 2019 issue they talk about this, "Enjoying your Classic" I thought it might be some intrest to you.
I know your torn because it's not a 65, but this is about enjoying what ya got. Even its just for now.

78T/A 4-SPEED/Original Paint/ Mine since '99 Third and final owner as long as I'm alive.
77 T/A Sold
85 Monte Carlo SS Sold
83 Mustang GT Sold
"Let me tell you what Melba toast is packing"
Go to Top of Page

67drake
Sitting Duck

Azerbaijan
1539 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2019 :  12:17:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Phil, I?ll have to check that out.
Don?t get me wrong I?m grateful for what I have. My life is a cakewalk compared to some people?s and I?m lucky in a million ways. BUT I can?t fake my lack of passion for my car right now. I set out to make it into the 13?s at over 100 mph in the 1/4 and keep it original as I could. I accomplished that goal, and then some, years ago. My wife thinks I should restore the body and keep it. I hate body work! And paying someone else would be ultra expensive. I figured why throw that much money at a car that is not my dream car.
If I had a different car, I know I?d get that fire back to work on it again and get involved in the hobby

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.44 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: