Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author  Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

862 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2019 :  4:29:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is the continuation thread to Parts 1, 2 and 3 of the TA project. The journey continues with Interior assembly and wrapping up dozens of loose ends and detailing to follow.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 29 Jun 2019 :  6:14:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Saturday, 29 June 2019

Today was laying out the heat shield and pre-fitting the many pre-cut pieces to the contour of the back seat cabin partition, and the flooring underneath the back seat. The pre-cut pieces are generally close but trimming was performed on most pieces to get a tighter fit.

BTW, trimming was tried with a sharp utility knife, using a piece of wood to bear down on. The jute backing is tough to cut that way so I gave up on that method. I then tried scissors and the first pair was too dull, a second pair cut just fine.

Enough is enough for today; I'll get back on it again tomorrow.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 30 Jun 2019 :  1:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Below are 3 photos taken last night.

More fitting will take place this afternoon. One key thing is to locate all the bolt holes for the bucket seats and seat belts and mark and trim the insulation now. The new carpeting sits atop the insulation and bolts for the seats and seat belts need to be fed through the carpeting and the insulation into their respective threaded hole in the floor pan without complication.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Sitting Bull

193 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2019 :  05:42:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Great to see your steady progress, Bill! Keep up the great work!

CURRENT: '73 T/A clone, starting to get less boring!...
67 Firebird (sold) 11.27 @ 119.6 Feb. '05 issue HPP
69 Falcon wagon, 10.51 @ 130mph Feb. '10 issue PHR (sold)
72 Cutlass Convertible, first car, owned since '82, now with a 6.0 LS, mild, putting just under 400 hp/tq to the wheels.
www.LNLPD.com
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2019 :  11:08:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks Lee.

How are you coming along with the '73 FB?

----
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Sitting Bull

193 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2019 :  1:18:32 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Up and down, on the '73. I don't remember if I discussed my accident last year, I came really close to losing use of my right hand. I've come a long way though, and have built a motor and done a bunch of other work for a friends 67 LeMans - so I'm doing better :-)

I was going to yank my 455 to do some upgrades, but I had a chance to do some test fitting for a new gauge package from New Vintage USA. I just finished up on that project last week, and they are sending me the first set as a thank you, it is supposed to ship this week. Once the new gauges are installed and working properly, then I'll be yanking the engine. Dave Bisschop is working on some heads for me, so that should be happening later this year :-)

CURRENT: '73 T/A clone, starting to get less boring!...
67 Firebird (sold) 11.27 @ 119.6 Feb. '05 issue HPP
69 Falcon wagon, 10.51 @ 130mph Feb. '10 issue PHR (sold)
72 Cutlass Convertible, first car, owned since '82, now with a 6.0 LS, mild, putting just under 400 hp/tq to the wheels.
www.LNLPD.com
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 02 Jul 2019 :  5:18:46 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Lee, don't think I was aware of the injury and how frightening that must have been for you. Sure glad you're on the road to recovery with your right hand.

Update: 2 July 2019--

Boy is it hot out. 88 degrees in my garage this morning at 9 am. Keeping the door shut and the portable AC unit running does little but feed Florida Power and Light. The unit isn't capable of cooling that much air when it reaches that temperature. All and all, I'll tough it out. Spraying 3M adhesive requires good ventilation so fans are running blowing lots of hot air around.

Making good progress on fitting the insulation although the job is taking far longer than expected. Fitting the insulation when it is dry (not ready to be glued down) and trimming it when it is dry eventually requires more trimming when the insulation is stuck in place with the spray adhesive. The padding sticks tight and fast to the metal and trimming is needed on the ends to get it just right. Jumping-jehoshaphat, that's what's taking so long.

The back seat area and the driver's side to the firewall is done. Currently working on the tunnel, trimming as I go. Overall it looks good and I do believe the cabin will be much quieter than it ever has been. The exhaust note will still be audible but quiet enough to listen to music and make out my wife telling me to lay of the fast starts. More photos to come....

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 02 Jul 2019 5:19:38 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2019 :  4:56:24 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: 4 July 2019--Happy Independence Day

The interior of the car, that is, the roof, floor pan, back and package shelf are all padded with insulation. It took a while...but it's done.

I have heat insulation padding for the trunk as well but will not install it now (or possibly ever). The TA never came with a super nice carpet, just a felt type black carpet with some jute pieces attached to it. The carpet in the car was discolored and pretty ratty so it was trashed a while back. Unless there is better carpet that fits the contours, I'll just seek a replacement felt carpet and I would get the replacement to see how it covers before any effort is made to insulate the trunk.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 05 Jul 2019 :  3:24:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: 5 July 2019

As mentioned in my previous post, the interior is completely insulated. However, that isn't exactly accurate. The doors will not get any Dynamat on the backside of the door skin. The doors are heavy enough with out adding more weight to them, besides, the full kit that was purchased doesn't come with anything to do with the backside of the door skins. So, the heck with it.

Thinking about the time it took to install the heat insulation padding (HIP) I soon realized there is a learning curve involved. As I got further along, how things were done changed. In other words, I got smarter and more efficient as more time and experience were gained.

Several things I want to point out. This info could help some one in the future and save them some time and frustration. First off, while the HIP is pre-cut. Trimming to make the HIP fit correctly in your car is necessary. Just because it is pre-cut doesn't mean it is a simple peel and stick--it isn't--far from it. Another thing is that just because the pieces come in large sizes, cut from a machine, that doesn't preclude you from cutting the big pieces into 3 or 4 pieces so its easier to handle. In fact, I recommend doing it. Full coverage is what you want, and being able to fit the smaller pieces together isn't difficult as the seams are tied together with the foil tape that is provided in the package. Overall, the HIP looks slick when finished.

Another worthwhile tip is this: Applying the 3M spray adhesive doesn't require multiple coats. One light coat for the floor pan pieces is okay. Two coats is good for the roof pieces, but no more. The ultimate trick is allowing the adhesive to dry on the pad and the metal. Not tacky to the touch but dry. When tacky the HIPs are difficult to align and a misstep causes immediate dislocation of the HIP and more trimming is likely for other pieces to fit. The key is to allow the adhesive to dry. Aligning the pieces is easy as there is less bite when the two adhesive parts contact one another. If wrong, it can be removed and repositioned. I learned this by trial and error. I'm passing what I learned on to others.

One of the hardest things I found in laying down the HIP and getting it adhered to the floor was locating all the pieces and trying to figure out where they go. The labeling diagram from the company is not clear and because of it, quite time consuming. This is a short fall with their product. The pieces diagram could be much better.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 06 Jul 2019 07:45:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2019 :  10:45:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Below is video footage taken yesterday of the Heat Insulation Padding (HIP). The camel carpet should contour nicely to it.

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/graphix/IMG_5174.MOV

The wheel well pads L and R (black in color) were left intact as they were tight to the wheel well. All other OEM padding was removed to insure the floor pan was solid (it was). The floor pan was cleaned and dried before the Dynamat strips were installed and re-cleaned and dried before the HIP was glued down.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 06 Jul 2019 10:51:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2019 :  1:44:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Monday, 8 July 2019--Prepping the headliner for installation

My TA has no T-tops, it's a full roof car. The new headliner vinyl (in Camel Tan) is mounted on ABS plastic. In contrast, the OEM mounting board for the TA was a thick, highly compressed cardboard. The OEM vinyl headliner foam backing broke down and was replaced by me in 1993. I bought heavy vinyl material in dark tan at a fabric shop and glued it on to the OEM mounting board. This fix worked just fine--maybe 20 years--then the cardboard broke down and the mounting board began to sag. The vinyl was still in great condition.

The new headliner is a perforated vinyl covering like the OEM and has a foam backing that is glued to the ABS plastic mounting board. There is plenty of excess vinyl material which needs to be trimmed off, wrapped around the edges of the mounting board and glued to the back.

Prepping the new headliner involved doing just that. Trimming, mitering the corners and gluing it down to the backside of the board took about an hour. X cuts were made initially where the visors mount as well as the dome light. These locations are cut outs into the ABS plastic mounting board so trimming was relatively simple. Material was also removed on each side of the board where the seat belt mechanism is located. Both areas were trimmed and glued.

Next up--installation.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2019 :  7:05:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: late afternoon on Monday, 8 July 2019

Reinstalling the old OEM cardboard mounting board in '93 was a breeze. This time my encounter was different for one reason--the heat insulation padding (HIP) installed on the ceiling of the roof didn't allow the new ABS mounting board to get close enough to the ceiling--in other words, the bow wasn't as great, hence the mounting board wound up being 1/4" too long and the board interfered with the 6 rear Phillips head screws that fasten the rear molding to the roof which holds up the rear of the mounting board.

To remedy the problem, I located the 6 screw holes in the molding and located those areas on the mounting board. Thereafter, a 1/4" x 1/2" long notch was cut out of the rear section of the ABS mounting board at the screw locations. With the assistance of my wife (she's terrific) we installed the front of the headliner first locating the visor holes with the roof, bent the mounting board and slipped it into the rear trim molding. 4 of 6 rear trim screws were tightened to keep the headliner secure. A temporary stanchion was also put in place to provide upward pressure on the middle of the headliner so it won't sag. Visors and dome light will be tackled next.

Making great progress--but my back is sore. I'll be glad when the headliner installation is done.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2019 :  5:08:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: 13 July 2019

Today, my son helped me complete the headliner installation. It should have been easy but wasn't. The aftermarket ABS mounting board had hole alignment errors which took awhile to correct.

What's next on the agenda? Sail panels and lower rear seat side panels.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2019 :  3:51:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Monday 15 July 2019

The sail panels and lower rear seat side panels are installed. Check that off.

BTW, after installing the dome light I put my multimeter on the contacts--no juice! I couldn't believe it and double checked my multimeter. It works fine. No juice reading is accurate. The new contacts with light bulb in place worked fine a couple of weeks ago including both door switches. Electrical gremlins at work...I'll have to trace the wiring to the harness that is in the trunk. What nonsense!

Carpeting goes in next.

----
Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Cochise

348 Posts

Posted - 18 Jul 2019 :  04:59:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Regarding the dome light, there must a Murphy axiom to explain your lack of electricity.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 19 Jul 2019 :  3:34:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Murphy's Law Corollary: If you check out a fix and everything works, rest assured the next time you check it, it won't.

With that said, it's time to upload some interior assembly photos with commentary.

After checking out all the wiring to the dome light and determining that the door switches work as an on/off switch, new contacts were attached to the wiring. The dome light without the headliner in place was fastened to the roof and a bulb installed. Yikes it worked. But have no fear, the above Murphy's Law Corollary came into play. After installing the headliner and the dome light as you see it. No juice! At least it looks nice. Gimme a break.

Finally rolling out the carpet....

Wrinkles in the carpeting from being boxed come out. Weights were used to help the flattening process. The carpeting out of the box is designed for an automatic console. The carpeting needed to be cut longer (toward the firewall) to fit around the manual shifter . Mounting brackets for the center console also were cut out--that's a must for either tranny. It takes some time positioning the carpet and locating the seat belt holes and bucket seat bolt holes, patience required.

Now it's starting to look like like an interior again. The Acoustic-Shield Heat Insulation Padding (HIP) did not interfere with the installation of the console. I was happy about that.

Hurray, a working center console "glove" box. Plenty of room for loose change and candy wrappers again!

This photo shows my extra temperature gauge. It also shows the carpeting under the pedals. What doesn't show was that the carpeting comes with jute padding in certain locations on the backside. There is some under the hump under the dash which I left--couldn't hurt--and some under the carpet on the drivers and passenger side. I removed all of the jute that is under the pedals and near the accelerator. The Acoustic-Shield HIP was more than enough. I did this to ensure that all pedals would travel as they should...unimpeded. Very important for the accelerator to have full movement.

I plan on getting floor mats to put down to keep the carpeting clean and fresh looking. However, I have yet to find a set that makes me want to buy them. My old mats can't be reused as they look like worn combat boots.

----
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
612 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2019 :  9:47:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill
lookin real good ! I have a set from Ames & very good quality carpet set with the arrow head logo .
I see on the T/A cat. pg. 45 real nice ones !!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2019 :  2:48:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Monday 22 July 2019

All that is left to do with the interior is to clip on the plastic top window trim pieces (L and R sides) and fasten the L and R "A" pillar metal trim pieces. The buckets are in and it's a great feeling to sit in the TA with all new interior again.

I've begun working on the passenger door. The power window scissor mechanism will be cleaned up and lubed and the power door lock actuator will be checked for ease of operation. Also the door lock and door handle needs to be installed. This will take a while.

The pre-assembled Camel Tan doors panels ordered from Classic Industries need attention. The glue used to secure the vinyl onto the board isn't holding. It appears from my inspection on the passenger door panel, that adhesive was sprayed only on the panel not on the panel and the vinyl. If the adhesive was not allowed to dry before making contact with the vinyl this may be the reason why it is failing now. I'll used my 3M spray adhesive to secure the vinyl to the board. There is always something that needs attention. In addition, none of the holes for the metal and plastic fastener are pre-cut. There are perforations there but the enthusiast (me) needs to cut them and open them up.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2019 :  3:32:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: 23 July 2019--MORE OF THE SAME NONSENSE

Today, I was focused on doing two things. First, to verify the smooth operation of the power window and power door lock actuator, passenger door. Second, provided everything was okay, to proceed and install the cylinder lock and the door handle.

Neither have been done!

Looked at the two baggies containing the door handles and locks and discovered that the outside gasket for the cylinder locks were slightly damaged and not worthy of re-use. I didn't have fresh gaskets so that fact stopped me in my tracks on doing that. However, I could install the door handle. Good idea, that too went south.

Some time back I decided to get new gaskets for the door handles to replace the 40 year old gaskets that worked just fine. My order for two door handle gaskets was filled by Classical Industries and their OER product. Today, I learned they don't work! Made of plastic overseas, the pieces are not straight and have a curve to them (unlike the originals) and the slots to fit the mechanism are narrow. I took one gasket and cut the slots to widen them and trimmed another area that was not correct either. After making those cuts, the curve of the product would not allow the gasket to sit correctly. Pushing down on one side caused the other side to pop up. JUNK! My solution is to re-use the original 40 year old door handle gaskets because they fit and still work fine after 4 decades.

I've purchased many parts from Classic Industries during my restoration project. Those made of plastic are of poor to non-usable quality. Front and rear bumper covers were the most expensive and they required extensive time and effort to get them to fit the car.

New cylinder lock gaskets should be delivered in a few days. When that happens things will get going again.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 25 Jul 2019 2:54:30 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2019 :  3:31:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: 25 July 2019

More parts have been ordered to help me complete the car's interior.

The newest problem to solve is the sluggish operation of the power door lock actuators. The driver's side actuator was replaced several years ago with an AC Delco unit. The passenger side was never gotten to and I have a new replacement on hand to install.

This morning while testing the power door lock switch on the passenger side, two things were noticed. First, the lock/unlock is supposed to work both door simultaneously. The actuator on the driver's side moved but an insufficient amount to fully unlock the latch. The actuator on the passenger side did nothing. NOTHING! This is the one that needs to be replaced. The driver's side actuator is not moving enough to move the latching mechanism which tells me, it's all gunked up and needs to be cleaned and lubricated. Secondly, when I moved to the driver's side power door lock switch and plugged it in, two of the wires broke off. Those wires were barely attached. So, the dilemma is could this terminal be fixed or not? After studying the problem I surmised the terminal could not be fixed and reused. I'll have to find a LH side replacement.

The passenger side door panel has been prepped. Although the door panels came pre-assembled, all of the appropriate holes had to be cut into the panel. These included the rectangle for the power door lock switch, the larger rectangle hole for the door handle escutcheon, the 3 holes for the arm rest to mount to the door, and all of the cut outs for fasteners to secure the panel to the door. This endeavor took 90 minutes to complete one door. The old door panel was inspected and compared to the new one to ensure the holes cut into the vinyl were correctly located. So far so good.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2019 :  9:11:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A couple illustrative photos of the 5-prong plug receptacle (for the power door lock switch) that "lost" two wires today.

The green arrows show the two wires that came off the receptacle.

The orange with black stripe wire is the hot wire and attaches to the terminal that goes to hole 'A' on the receptacle. The power door lock switch plugs into this piece.

----
Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Cochise

348 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2019 :  10:19:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just read your 23 July post.Makes you wonder how the restorers can rebuild a car and get it in one of the big auction houses. What with all the junk parts ,maybe they only go with new old stock.
Got a few words into the posting said to myself, he'll say the parts don't fit. do you think all the suppliers get their parts from the same source ? So there is no choice or has mediocraty become the standard?
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 26 Jul 2019 :  4:43:07 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Friday 26 July 2019

Today the passenger side power door lock actuator was removed and the new AC Delco unit installed.

The actuator is held in place with 2-1/4" x 0.500" rivets. A large rivet gun is required to mimic the factory installation. Instead, 2- 1/4" x 3/4" long hex bolts with washers and nuts were used to install the new unit.

The rivets were handled this way: Dremel with cutting wheel removed the small rivet nub protrusion. When the nub was gone, the rod of th rivet was punched out. Remainder was drilled out easily.

The rod that connects to the door latch was then removed, followed by the electrical connect located at the bottom of the unit. Thereafter, the mounting bracket was swapped over from the old unit to the new. The head of the hex bolt requires a 7/16 wrench. The lower hex bolt was installed first for best access; then the top.

One more thing. The window must be in the raised position to access the actuator.

Below are 9 photos for illustration.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2019 :  5:27:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Sunday 28 July 2019

Installed the 'A' pillar metal trim and the side roof trim today. A little trimming of the 'A" pillar trim pieces was needed for two reasons: First, the dash cap takes up space so a mild contour change was necessary. Secondly, the dashboard, if some remember from earlier posts, that it was not accurately centered when the car was built in May 1979. There was a large gap on the driver's side 'A" pillar compared to the passenger side 'A" pilar. The shop that performed all the upholstery work for me last year also installed the dash cap without having to disassemble the dash and relocate it as I believed needed to be done. The skilled tech squeezed it into place. I could have corrected this factory defect, but didn't. In the event, a total replacement dash is secured by me in the future, I'll be sure to center the thing like the factory should have done.

A couple of more things knocked of my check list.

My 11-year old grandson saw the car today with the interior in place and said, "I've never seen the car looking like this before Grandpa." [He was 5 and doesn't remember.]

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2019 :  10:17:14 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Monday 29 July 2019

This afternoon my UPS driver brought more parts. In the box was a pair of outer door window sweeps with SS bead, several door cylinder lock gaskets and L and R hand arm rests. The arm rests are black and will be "dyed" Camel Tan to match my interior. However, they won't be dyed right away as the pieces smell very fresh and need to "out gas' before any prep is begun on them.

The order for a LH power door lock "pig tail" to replace the broken OEM plug (receptacle) is on back order so that will surely slow my progress on the electrical fix. Hopefully the vendor will be getting his parts shipment soon so I can get my part.

The RH sport mirror was cut and buffed, polished and installed today and will let me know, once again, that "objects in the mirror appear closer than they are."

My checklist is getting shorter.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 30 Jul 2019 :  4:41:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: 30 July 2019

I expected to install the cylinder lock and exterior door handle on the passenger door today. I'm batting .500. 1 out of 2. A couple of posts earlier addressed me re-using the old 40-year old door handle gaskets because the brand new reproduction gaskets from Classic Industries didn't work because they are not manufactured correctly--not straight, not cut right. The old ones didn't look good, so, I ordered 2 new GM door handle gaskets from Ames. They cost quite a bit, but I'm at the point where this little stuff can't delay me. Gaskets will be here in a couple of days.

As to the installation of the door lock. Installing it is tricky. First, in my case, I had to remove a little excess body filler around the hole to get the cylinder to fit. Once that was done, examining old photos helped me orient the arm attached to the cylinder to the bar that moves the lock--open and locked. The big problem came with my ridiculous attempt to squeeze my big hands between the glass to try and install the retaining clip. That was a non-starter. Needing smaller hands, I called on my wife as she is always game to help me out.

Once she knew what needed to be done, she grabbed the clip and slipped her hand down the top of the door. She managed to get the clip started but could not push it into place. The fit was very tight. Not knowing for sure what to do, we raised the window and that provided access from below for me to start the clip, and then with a long flat screwdriver, using it as a lever, successfully pushed the clip into place. The key works the mechanism just fine.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2019 :  12:59:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: 31 July 2019

Decided to shorten the length of the bolts used to fasten the actuator to the passenger door. The 3/4" long bolts were a little long. Replaced the standard hex nuts with 2 hex nuts with nylon inserts and cut the bolts shorter with my Dremel cutting wheel.

Before:

After:

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 02 Aug 2019 :  3:44:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Friday 2 August 2019

On the 29th of July I wrote: "The order for a LH power door lock "pig tail" to replace the broken OEM plug (receptacle) is on back order so that will surely slow my progress on the electrical fix. Hopefully the vendor will be getting his parts shipment soon so I can get my part. "

With the back order spoiling my progress it was time to explore the possibity of fixing the driver's side OEM plug. The chore was to see if the back of the plug could be removed and later replaced, assuming the wires that broke off their respective terminals could be soldered back into place. I'm happy to state that, yes, I was able to remove the backing, access the terminals and solder the wires back into place. Most importantly, both power door lock switches work the actuators and the doors lock and open as designed.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 05 Aug 2019 :  4:21:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: 5 August 2019--I'm back on the passenger door.

Everything mechanical is operational. The outer window sweeps were installed and the roof window weatherstripping seal (gasket) was fitted into the channels and temporarily fastened to the car. This was done this way to see how the gasket sealed the window in the up position and what adjustments might be needed on the window so that it fits the seal well. In addition, all the previously applied weather stripping adhesive was removed from the passenger door so the new bottom door seal could be installed. New 3M adhesive was applied sparingly and the bottom door seal was installed this afternoon. Closing the door is now a challenge unlike before. With all new "puffy" gaskets in place it takes some force, muscle if you will, to close the door against all the new seals. For those of you interested, these seals are from Steele Rubber Products.

I have to laugh. After installing all new foam on all the seats front and rear, adding all the acoustic-shield insulation on the ceiling of the roof, plus the new window and doors gaskets, aside from sitting up higher in the seats, touching my long hair on the headliner, I'll have to run open headers just to hear the engine running. See what happens when you make changes!

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 07 Aug 2019 10:39:39 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2019 :  5:36:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Saturday 10 August 2019

The passenger door is done.

Here are a few pointers (tips).

My TA has power door locks. The panels purchased in Camel Tan (PUI product) match the upholstery and dyed plastic parts (rear lower panels, upper sail panels, package shelf, visors, headliner and dash board) very closely. The door panels come with a metal shoulder that is more rigid than the plastic shoulder used in the original panels. The door panels while assembled with interior side window sweeps, only have perforations for the clips and mounting hardware. All of these mounting locations must be cut out using a razor blade. While I had most of the original clips that were removed from the original panels and door, it was a good idea to purchase new hardware. It's not expensive and saves some time. New is good!

What was interesting was there was no perforations for the power door lock switches. If you have power door locks, save the original panels until the new panels are mounted. Knowing where the location of where to cut the new PUI door panel for the door locks was helpful. I took some measurements and made a template that I was able to position on the back of the passenger panel and mark for cutting with a razor blade.

The power door locks on my original panels have a rectangle steel frame that fits the rectangular hole in the panel. This frame should be reused on the new panel. It has 4 wings that can be slowly bent ro release it from the old panel and slowly bent to position it on the new panel. The power door lock switches are new replacements. My originals were questionable. There are clips on each side of the new switches which must pass through the metal frame and "pop" behind the metal frame to secure it to the panel. These clips prevent the switch from popping out of position. Personally, I don't like the arrangement and had trouble securing the switch to the panel. I learned that the electrical plug to the switch must be attached to the switch before the panel is positioned on the door. Be careful here because my fingers broke away the ground wire to the terminal in the plug this morning and that mistake stopped me in my tracks. Which takes me to another point; examine the wires to the plug carefully. Fix the wires as needed by soldering the wires back on to the original terminals if broken, or, add 60/40 solder to terminals to strengthen the connection between the wire and the terminal.

Once everything with the plug is sturdy, take the panel and plug in the plug to the switch. By all means, ensure the switch operates the door locks before doing anything else. Thereafter, proceed installing the panel. Start from the door latch and make sure the top of the panel sit down fully.

Installing and positioning some of the fasteners is required. Take your time and make sure everything lines up correctly. Leave the very bottom of the door for last. Do the lock side clips first, then the hinge side. Double check the bottom again and pop them into their respective holes. Install the arm rest and door handle escutcheon.

I'll be adding photos to illustrate.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 11 Aug 2019 6:08:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 12 Aug 2019 :  2:42:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Below are 8 photos to help illustrate my previous post.

The door is complete but for the new arm rest which will be "dyed" Camel Tan. It's temporarily secured to the car to "air" out. Thereafter, the arm rest will be fully treated to get several applications of dye. Yes, I'm using adhesion promoter so the painted surface doesn't lift off.

I've begun working on the driver's door.

----
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1726 Posts

Posted - 14 Aug 2019 :  3:21:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice work Bill !
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2019 :  8:24:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Friday 16 August 2019

Yesterday, the driver's door lock and door handle were installed. Today, the outer window sweep was installed. Things are moving along...or are they?

I noticed something very odd this morning. The rubber weather stripping that runs along the roof and down the 'A"pillar which was only pre-fitted, not fully installed, had broken apart just past midway on the 'A' pillar.

A photo was taken and sent off to Steele Rubber Products. in their response to me I learned that Steele doesn't manufacture these rubber pieces. Steele is requesting that the piece be retuned to them so they can deal with the vendor. I'm waiting for clarification on whether Steele wants me to remove the passenger side weather stripping too since both were packaged together.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 16 Aug 2019 8:25:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 17 Aug 2019 :  4:36:23 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: 17 August 2019

Steele Rubber Products is sending me a new set of window weather stripping. Earlier today the driver's side, where the break was, and the passenger side weather stripping were taken off the car. Both pieces will be shipped back to Steele.

The driver's door panel is almost ready for mounting. All the necessary holes for hardware have been removed and the new power door lock switch was mounted in a different way than the passenger side. More on those details in a future post. Lubricating the window mechanism is on my to do list as well as mounting the water shield and the driver's mirror with cable control.

That's about it for now.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2019 :  8:25:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Sunday Afternoon, 18 August 2019

The driver's mirror, hardware on the door panel and window mechanism were dealt with today. The mirror is installed. All hardware is mounted on the panel, door and the area for the power door lock and remote mirror controller were cut out on the water shield. In addition, the window mechanism was re-cleaned and lubricated. It should be good for many years.

The bottom door weather stripping was left for another day because my tube of 3M black weather stripping adhesive reached its shelf life and was discarded. The adhesive would not flow from the tube and what did come out of the tip was a gooey rubbery material that lost its adhesive properties.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2019 :  4:47:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Wednesday, 21 August 2014

Yesterday, the driver's arm rest was prepped and coated with Camel Tan coating. Passenger side left to do.

What a difference a new tube of 3M weather stripping adhesive makes. The adhesive flows from the tube, was easy to apply on the door frame and on the lower door rubber weather stripping and the stuff actually holds the two securely to the door. Check that one off my to do list!

The weather shield was next. After double checking the power door locks and window operation again, the weather shield for the driver's door was stuck on to the door using 3M caulking strips.

Next is the overall mounting of the door panel. This involves making all adjustments to the fasteners to make sure they mate correctly and once that's done, to snap on the power door lock switch to the electrical plug and to pull through the cable for the remote mirror control so it can be fastened to the door panel. Then, the panel will be set in place.

I'm almost there, just minutes away, not hours away from completing the interior of the car.

Steele Rubber Products is sending me a L and R hand upper window weather stripping. Some people call it the rail weather stripping. Once the replacement arrives it will be installed. I am looking forward to it.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 21 Aug 2019 4:50:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 21 Aug 2019 :  8:24:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Evening of 21 August 2019

Steele Rubber Products came through. UPS delivered the new rail weather stripping at dinner time. Tomorrow they both go in.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 23 Aug 2019 :  09:39:36 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: 23 August 2019

Is there a dark cloud following me?

My encounter with re-assembly has been less than stellar. It has been problematic; no, a PITA for me.

Yesterday my goal was to install the driver's door panel completely and then install the two roof rail weather stripping pieces replaced by Steele Rubber Products. Everything went haywire for me.

What was the problem? Well, I couldn't get the door panel to fit. The little metal clip that holds the front top of the panel in place wasn't working. It was bent. So, that was corrected. Then the panel sat too low in the front by the 'A' pilar. The panel was too low striking the door jamb. When the panel was moved upward so it would clear the jamb, the metal tab came off at the top of the panel and was loose, not tight to the door.

During this craziness, the location of the hole cut in the panel for the inside door handle and escutcheon would not fit either. The escutcheon sat higher than the one on the passenger side. In order to get the escutcheon to fit, the door panel had to be moved upward, again, and the tab in the from would let go. This went on with me trying to correct 3 things. 1) bring up the panel so it would not hit the door jamb, 2) bring up the panel so the door handle and escutcheon would fit and work, and 3) some how get the tab and the height adjusted so 1 and 2 would work.

I gave up on it after a long day of frustration. Interesting, the OEM door panel which I still have for reference was mounted in it's bummed up condition and it fit perfectly, as is. I firmly believe the PUI door panel is cut wrong and assembled badly. Once again, I'll need to spend time making appropriate adjustments to the panel to make it fit.

Today, I hope to solve the problem. Measurement comparisons will be made between the PUI replacement and the OEM. My hypothesis is that the door panel is too long and the card board panel needs to be trimmed (shortened) in the front. This may be a solution.

I had a choice between PUI and Legendary. Knowing what I've dealt with PUI today, I probably should have purchased the Legendary products. But, who knows if one is superior to the other unless you work with both products often. I sure don't.

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2019 :  9:20:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Wednesday, 28 August 2019

Nothing positive has happened since my last post. In fact, I ran into other problems stemming from having to get the panel fitment correct. This past Saturday morning while removing the door panel one more time which involves detaching the power door lock switch, I inadvertently broke off one of the five rods (fingers?) that snap into the electrical plug. This brilliant move was not noticed until it was plugged back in again. The broken finger shorted the electrical circuit and tripped the circuit breaker located in the fuse block.

The same day I contacted Ames and ordered another replacement switch. Little did I know or suspect that the power door lock (which arrived this afternoon) was different as it uses only 3 rods (fingers) and is for an earlier model Firebird. It will be returned to Ames. This was my mistake not theirs. I looked through my old invoices and saw that a pair of door switches were purchased from Classic Industries. I should have gotten another one from them. Live and learn and never assume.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 29 Aug 2019 7:24:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 29 Aug 2019 :  7:34:05 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Thursday, 29 August 2019

Florida is in a quiet frenzy as we watch local weather to see where hurricane Dorian will hit the state on either Sunday or Monday (Labor Day).

Aside from this major distraction and safety concern, the power door lock switch was mailed back to Ames today. Ames was very helpful on the return and that's greatly appreciated.

With other things to do today because of the impending storm, I was only able to verify that the circuit breaker which tripped has reset. Removing power to the circuit breaker allowed it to reset so there's juice once again flowing to my power windows and door locks plugs. When time allows I'll be getting back on installing that feisty driver's door panel.

----
Go to Top of Page

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 30 Aug 2019 :  3:07:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hope it weakens and/or takes a turn away from you guys, my dad is in Melbourne area and they said they were staying put.

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 02 Sep 2019 :  2:31:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Labor Day (and anniversary of V-J Day in 1945)

Watching Dorian destroy the Bahamas. The storm has crept along at Cat 5 level and has lost a little intensity and is now just under Cat 5 at the top end of Cat 4. It poses a major threat to coastal central and northern Florida, coastal Georgia, SC and NC. Scary my friends.

+++++

Update: 2 September 2019

People rate movies and restaurants, ship cruises and the like. Today, I'm going to include after market parts either as thumbs up or thumbs down rating.

The best after market part I ordered was a new Trans Am hood. Surprisingly it's dimensions were superior to the OEM hood it replaced. It was made in Taiwan. Under my rating system, I'll give it 4 thumbs up.

The rear ABS bumper cover. This replaced my OEM cover because it was breaking down with too many spider cracks. It would have been futile to refinish it. The replacement cover was purchased through F-Bodywarehouse. At first, I thought this was a decent reproduction of the OEM. When I finally started working it, I could see how it fit, what the finish of the ABS plastic looked like I was grossly disappointed. The plastic was severely pitted and scared due in my opinion from a manufacturing process that was not clean. While the surface could be repaired and refinished, it took considerable effort and lots of corrective work. Most ridiculous was the actual contour of the piece. The rear bumper cover has a curve with the apex of the curve near the center of the bumper and aligns closely with the gas tank filler. The piece did not have the correct curve, in fact it curved outward on the passenger side. Once again, fitment problems made this agonizing for me. Once the curve was corrected, plastic material had to be added to make it match the quarter panel on both ends. Gosh, it gives me a headache thinking about it today. I rate this piece with only 1 miserly thumbs up. The vendor who hired the Chinese manufacturer to make this bumper should be taken to the wood shed for some serious talking about quality and oversight of a product they sell. Ugh!

Next, the replacement front bumper cover. This ABS plastic reproduction was purchased through Ames, but it came from Classic Industries. This piece came to me in a large box and the cover was severely distorted. Warnings provided indicated distortion was normal and would straighten itself out in the sunlight. I had doubts about that but worked the piece for almost 100 hours to get it to mount on the car. This unit was eventually not good enough in my eyes and removed in disgust. Complaints to Ames were heeded and they followed up with Classic Industries that came through with a free replacement, number 2. The bad cover was returned to them. I forwarded photos of this distorted mess that convinced them something was really amiss with the first piece. The 2nd unit was superior, distortion was negligible but I performed many more hours prepping it, coating it and pre-fitting it to get the thing to fit the TA. Numerous corrections and adjustments were required to get a great fit. It was not a bolt on--not even close.

The first front bumper cover was a 2 thumbs down. The second a 2 thumbs up out of 5. Better than the first, but not a glowing endorsement of a great product.

Next comes the standard door panels for a 1979 Trans Am. I had a choice between Legendary and PUI. I decided to go with PUI. This was probably a mistake. My order was filled by Classic Industries. The color is came tan. My first installation side was the RH or passenger side. This installation went relatively smooth in contrast to the LH, driver's side which was a nightmare. How in the world could panels be so different in fitment?

The driver's panel sat too low. Measurements taken showed the cardboard backing was too long. Also, the metal shoulder used, sturdier than the ABS plastic used in the OEM, but inferior on holding the cardboard straight down the door frame. In my opinion the curve was not tight enough. The metal tabs used to hold the upper edge of the panel close to the window would not catch and the panel would not stay in place. I tried many different ideas to correct this, with many failures. One of the things realized was that the curve was wrong on the shoulder and when the door handle escutcheon was put in place the top of the panel became loose at the front and rear flopping out of position. The only way I could fit the panel required thinking out of the box. I added two 2" screws to prop up the shoulder about .250" so that the escutcheon could be screwed in place. A brass bracket was fabricated and expoxied on to the upper shoulder at the screw to keep the rear section of the panel from coming loose at the top. The front screw seemed to keep the front in place provided the clips on the door panel were positioned correctly and pulled downward when the panel was secured to the door frame. But wait, there's more. The door arm rest holes in the panel were off. I had a heck of time adjusting the holes to fit the arm rest. When the arm rest was secured to the door it moved the panel inward and the curve of the metal shoulder moved the position of the top front of the panel ever so slightly. It's in place...acceptable at this point in my life but not the best it could be.

I give this pair of PUI standard door panels a two thumbs down because of poor fitment and can't recommend it.

----
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1726 Posts

Posted - 03 Sep 2019 :  4:28:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good luck with the hurricane Bill.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2019 :  08:56:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Brian, Dorian's stall over the northern Bahama Islands, pretty much destroyed everything in it's path. Now traveling northward, it's about 90 miles east of Daytona Beach. The storm, while not as windy as before has expanded in size (width) and that is what the folks in Georgia and the Carolinas must look at closely. As for the 5 million people living in Dade, Broward and Palm Beach counties, we escaped the wrath of this terrible Category 5 storm.

This morning, with Dorian several hundred miles to the north, it is quiet and serene here in Broward county.

The survivors of Dorian in the Bahamas have little now and need to be rescued. Loss of life has yet to be determined. Destruction of property on the other hand is quite visible per aerial photos per news broadcasts. What happened there could have happened here....

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 04 Sep 2019 :  4:58:40 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: 3 August 2019

----
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 05 Sep 2019 :  3:00:04 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: Thursday, 5 September 2019

This morning, the passenger side arm rest was prepped and coated with 2 coats of Camel Tan. This afternoon it was installed. It now matches the passenger side arm rest and with that, along with the installation of the rail weather stripping yesterday, the interior of the car is complete.

I do want to get some kind of floor mat. That's been mentioned before, but I'm not sure what would look the best and be serviceable as well. The carpet must stay as fresh as it is right now and remain that way for years to come.

+++++++

What's next?

The finish on the rear spoiler and end caps is not to my satisfaction so my plan is to do more work on them. This may involve shooting primer, base coat and coats of clear and then cut and buff. In addition, the front right wheel spoiler which replaces the OEM spoiler that was completely refinished and available for mounting showed ugly spider cracks in my new finish. This piece needs to be fully worked, from primer to clear coats plus cut and buff. After that...there will be some air brush work on the fender jambs and freshening up of other previously painted surfaces in the engine bay so everything sparkles.

The list is still long but getting shorter day-by-day.

----
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Ye Olde Webmaster

862 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  11:46:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This is just a test.

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 14 Sep 2019 :  11:50:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update: 14 September 2019

Work on the car was temporarily stalled this week with family activities. What I was able to do was make a "short list" of things left to be done on the car. My wife was quite happy to learn what I was doing.

First on my list is to get the rear spoiler and end caps re-coated to my satisfaction. With luck they will be finished and mounted before the end of the month.

----

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 14 Sep 2019 12:18:48 PM
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1726 Posts

Posted - 15 Sep 2019 :  7:35:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill,

Regarding carpet. Go to a Janitor Supply house and get a gallon of scotch guard. Its not branded as scotch guard but you can get it in concentrated gallons to mix in a spray bottle. Just ask the guy at the counter for it. Been doing it to house carpeting, couches, cars, etc for 25 years.

Its fantastic - no stains AT ALL. Does not change the color at all so no concern there. Just remember to re-apply after a shampoo of any kind.

That carpet will stay nice for many years longer.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2019 :  11:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The days are just flying by and I've got to get the spoiler end caps and the front right wheel spoiler done.

Update: 27 September 2019

With most family and house matters out of the way for awhile, this morning my work area was cleaned up for impending re-coating of my two spoiler end caps. I've decided to re-coat both with base coat and then apply several coats of clear. The front right wheel spoiler needs to be fully prepped for base coat so that will be done before I shoot any paint. Everything being sprayed will be allowed to dry for several days and then cut and buffed and installed on the car. Let's see how this progresses.

----
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1367 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2019 :  10:01:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nice progress!

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2  Topic Next Topic  
Next Page