ABS and Traction Control equipment
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 21 Jun 2019 :  09:09:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The last iteration of Pontiac V8 performance vehicles (e.g. GTO) came equipped with ABS and traction control. I was wondering if anyone has attempted to install these features into a 1st or 2nd generation Firebird or other traditional powered rear drive Pontiac. Is a traction control system (TCS) feasible to install on older rear driver Pontiacs? Are there two many variables that make it extremely difficult to make it work?

I'm curious as to what components were used to make it all work on a Pontiac and what vehicle's parts were used to make it work.

It doesn't seem there's any after market ABS /TCS kits.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 21 Jun 2019 09:29:08 AM

Corncob2061
Crazy Horse

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2019 :  01:26:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have looked into this, more on the traction acceleration side of things than the abs. Never tried it. But this GPS based system looks like it might be manageable. I have seen them for around $600 for the ABS. The TCS is more complicated. Something to look at if you have never seen systems like this. I know of a couple others too. I will post them when I get a chance. Jay

Here is one of the gps based systems:

https://www.racetronics.com/

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 28 Jun 2019 01:30:23 AM
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Crazy Horse

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2019 :  01:37:27 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For interest for the DIY crowd:

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/hrdp-1108-abs-for-hot-rods/

Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Crazy Horse

USA
544 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2019 :  01:49:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The gps (global positioning system) based TCS looks like a far superior system in many ways. Probably has some draw backs depending on the signal accuracy. But the interface between the wheel sensors that control a normal abs system would be difficult to tune tune a particular car. So many varibles. These gps systems appear to have potential where the vehicle is carrying one of the wheels in a corner or both off the line drag racing and tractor pulling. Jay

Go to Top of Page

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
172 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2019 :  4:28:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not a fan of either one on my C6 or truck.

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

DanM
Sitting Bull

191 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2019 :  12:58:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
FWIW: I love the traction control on my 2013 Dodge Charger. I'm told that all cars built after 2012 come with ESC (Electronic stability control). Since the Charger is rear wheel drive I find it an absolute necessity during New England winters. With 4 snow tires and 200 pounds in the trunk used in addition to ESC I can go anywhere anytime and the Dodge drives like a salt truck through newly fallen snow 6" deep.

Bill, if you can get that type of system working on your car then I will be envious. However, I don't drive my Pontiac in the salty slushy weather.

May I ask, why do you want to install traction control?
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5324 Posts

Posted - 17 Sep 2019 :  09:27:23 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Dan, I'm simply curious. Today's cars with twice the power of many of our old iron engines would not be very safe to drive without traction control to help stabilize the power to the ground in dry summer weather let along during rainy and winter months.

Wouldn't it be kind of neat to have a "bolt on kit" for GM cars that could be installed during a weekend of wrenching. Cost might be the only hurdle if it was done correctly. Can you imagine an old GTO or Firebird simply getting terrific traction 95% of the time and not breaking loose.

My C5 Corvette uses traction control with ABS. There's an on off switch to release the traction control. I've never released it. Getting traction under hard acceleration is more important to me than smoking the tires and that would be a nice feature to have in my TA.

In reality, such a package will never become available. There is just no market for it.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: