Gasket sealing
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

DanM
Sitting Bull

176 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2019 :  3:50:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is your advice on how to seal my notoriously leaky valve covers?

tjs44
Crazy Horse

USA
604 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2019 :  5:22:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I glue the thick gasket to the covers with Hylomar and never have a issue with leaking.I get them from Butler.FWIW,Tom
Go to Top of Page

DanM
Sitting Bull

176 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2019 :  7:02:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Should I also use form-a-gasket on the head side? Basically I have had terrible luck. If I tighten the bolts enough the valve cover will just bend so I am unable to tighten enough to seal without leaking. So it seems like the only way to do this is to use a ton of sealant.

Terrible design. Or is there something I'm missing?
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Crazy Horse

USA
604 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2019 :  8:18:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the thick gasket they seal way better IMO,I never glue to the head.Tom
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5463 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2019 :  8:53:48 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've put studs in, then the felpro steel core gasket, then the valve cover with the little spreaders.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3510 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2019 :  12:13:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With no gasket, test fit covers to head. Tweek and beat covers till they fit flush on head. Install Holley carb studs or studs fron hardware store into head. Order the thick cork gaskets from butler performance. Using permatex ultra black, glue gaskets to covers and allow to cure. Use only enough glue to adhere gasket. Make sure the gasket extends to outer edge of cover. Purchase the long reinforcement hold down tabs, Moroso or mr gasket. Make sure they have the 5/16 bolt hole. Chevy is 1/4. Install covers with light torque. I like a 1/4 drive ratchet and torque with wrist effort only. Use a mirror and make sure you can see gasket all around the head. Re-torque covers after one or two heat cycles.
I use a light film of motor oil on head side of gasket for easy removal and re-use if valve train service is needed.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

DanM
Sitting Bull

176 Posts

Posted - 15 May 2019 :  11:12:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I used a combination of all the advice here and finally got the stupid things to seal. I think the key is to have either the extra thick gasket or to stack two and use some non-hardening sealant to seal the two together. And not over tighten but not under-tighten. And keep everything flat.

thanks
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: