New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter Pontiac
Tribal Scout

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  09:47:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This car has mostly original wiring, still has the point ignition system and yes some of the wiring, batt cables to starter and wiring from the battery to voltage regulator/horn relay areas are all new. The thing is, there is power to the starter, and horn relay areas, but no power to the fuse terminal under the dash. I have gotten my hands on an original wiring schematic and am not sure if the wiring under the dash should have constant 12 volts and if it does is it coming from the regulator? Anyway if anyone has an idea it would be appreciated. Thanks!!

Peter Lomas

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
446 Posts

Posted - 14 Mar 2019 :  7:58:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It has power to the horn relay harness, but not to anything else in the fuse box?

What all has power? Does it crank over from the key switch?

There should be one wire down in the fuse box that is hot all the time. Best guess that I can think of is you are loosing power at the ignition switch, which could be from the fuse box to the ignition switch (if it will not crank by the key), or if it cranks power loss could be at the switch, or from the switch back to the fuse box. The ignition switch is on the steering column, it sends power down to the fuse box to run most everything, except the horn, and IRC, headlights and taillights. If the horn circuit is live, it probably means you have power to the fuse box, and are losing power after it some place. Jay

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 14 Mar 2019 8:00:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

Peter Pontiac
Tribal Scout

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 18 Mar 2019 :  07:40:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. I haven't had this car long and this is my first classic car ownership. Your question got me thinking and I started to look at everything even the not so obvious areas. After poking around I noticed the multiple connector at the firewall moved while checking the power there. I was able to push the clips further together and sure enough it was the problem.
Thanks!!

Peter Lomas
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: