Heat Soaked Starter?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Civilian
Two Feathers

24 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2019 :  1:21:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm having intermittent starting problems when hot with my 455 and I was wondering if anyone else has experienced the same. It starts every time cold and have had the issue since I built it.

I am running the long tube exhaust manifolds and had to go with a mini starter to clear them. They are still really close and I am wondering if I am heat soaking my starter. When it's hot, I get a single click from the solenoid and nothing else...no cranking. When it cools down, fires right up.

Has anyone else experienced this? When these long tube manifolds came out, was this a problem in Pontiacs, or were the starters mounted to the transmission back then, making it a non-issue?

Next question: what do I do? I already have a starter blanket (no help) and I am going to exhaust wrap that side this weekend. My concern is, there isn't a whole lot of room there. I'm afraid with the blanket and wrap, they will actually touch, defeating the purpose.

I have a 1962 GP (if anyone has experience with this body style) and I have very little clearance between both the steering gearbox and the starter. Am I looking at custom headers to clear the starter better?

Any help or experience with this would be helpful. Thanks!

Edited by - Civilian on 08 Feb 2019 4:20:30 PM

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
488 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2019 :  5:50:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Which mini starter are you running?

It is probably a problem with the starter since new. Tolerences to tight or solenoid not set up righty from the factory. QC has been a problem on a lot of parts lately. I would try a different one. Jay
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Crazy Horse

USA
613 Posts

Posted - 09 Feb 2019 :  9:23:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I run the RARE long branch on my 421 62 GP and never have a staring issue.I use the I think EMI? mini starter made in Whittier CA.Battery is most important,have it load tested,then cables must be good with good contacts of where they are bolted up.IMO there is just no use for headers on a street engine if good exhaust manifolds are avail.Good luck with your project.Tom
Go to Top of Page

Civilian
Two Feathers

24 Posts

Posted - 10 Feb 2019 :  12:28:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I?m running a powermaster XS 9510 I think. I am also running the Longbranch manifolds from Ram Air restorations. I bought some header wrap, but my dad actually told me to try shimming the starter a little more first. Said the starter is probably heating up, but if it binds at all, it won?t start when really hotI. I did that yesterday and ran the hell out of it a few different times. I didn?t have a single starter issue for what that?s worth. I?m going to try it again today and drive a little farther. Hopefully it doesn?t leave me stranded. Battery and cables are both brand new.

Edited by - Civilian on 11 Feb 2019 10:18:23 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: