Stall converter help
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Civilian
Two Feathers

24 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2019 :  2:01:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can someone please school me on stall converters since mine isn't doing what I thought it should be doing?

My specs: 1962 Pontiac, 455 - 0.30 over, 6x heads, Comp Cams XE274H I believe (strong mid range 2000-6500 rpm), B&M 2200-2500 stall, TH400, 3.08 open rear end for now.

My question:
When I put this thing in gear at idle (600-700rpm), it?s going. There is no stall at all; I touch the gas and it drives like any other car without a stall. I was under the impression this thing would not engage until I got the RPM?s up a bit?which is what I am after. Do I have a bad stall converter right out of the box, or do these things just not work the way I thought they did?!

Any help is most appreciated before I start replacing stuff!

Edited by - Civilian on 23 Jan 2019 2:52:18 PM

Steve C.
Chief PONTIAC

1973 Posts

Posted - 23 Jan 2019 :  4:18:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might be helpful

http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/Twisting.html

http://www.badasscars.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=77/category_id=13/mode=prod/prd77.htm

CONVERTER STALL SPEED'S RELATIONSHIP TO ENGINE IDLE RPM

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/converter-stall-speeds-relationship-to-engine-idle-rpm.153115/

Edited by - Steve C. on 23 Jan 2019 4:21:33 PM
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 29 Jan 2019 :  3:12:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the brakes applied, step on the gas and see how many RPMs the engine gets to before the car wants to move, should be around 2200. Can also test it by flashing the converter to see were the converter hits restance while in gear accelerating from a dead stop. It should flash to 2200-2500. If it does not, something is not right.

Some of the street converters are designed tight so they do not slip much at lower speeds. Not sure about B&M. But should flash to the advertised stall speed range. Jay
Go to Top of Page

Civilian
Two Feathers

24 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2019 :  1:40:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Steve, the information you provided gives me a better understand as to the workings of a torque converter. It's entirely possible I need a higher stall for what I was trying to get.

Jay: The car wants to move almost immediately with the brakes applied. It's a hard thing to judge; I have 4 wheel disc on this car and it holds it for quite a while, but it WANTS to go at a very low RPM. 1200-1500?

I will jump on it this weekend to check the flash once again by keeping a closer eye on the RPM's. Having problems with my starter overheating (another problem to solve), so I didn't get much chance this past weekend. While I hadn't been checking the RPM's, when I jump on it from a dead stop, it just kind of rolls off the line like my Camry. When the car gets to 2500 RPM's on the street I can hear it, you now? No rev, no flash, just kinda blah. The thing pulls like hell once it gets rolling, but it's kind of a pig from the hole. I am only running a 3.08 rear and 10" slicks, but it wont even really break the tire loose from a dead stop. I felt like with the amount of torque and HP I should be getting from this engine, I should at least be able to smoke the tires...especially if it's flashing like it's supposed too!
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
388 Posts

Posted - 30 Jan 2019 :  3:51:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With 4 wheel disk brakes you should be able to put it in gear and hold it at 2200 rpm easily. What you have sounds stock, most stock converters can be held to 1600rpm with the brakes. Jay
Go to Top of Page

Civilian
Two Feathers

24 Posts

Posted - 08 Feb 2019 :  12:23:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Update for anyone interested: After testing, it does seem to flash near the correct RPM range. I turned my idle up a bit and my brakes do seem to hold it to the flash range. I think I was expecting more of a neck-breaking launch with the amount of HP and torque this thing should have. (It is a big car though) As previously stated, I do have a 3.08 gear, so maybe I should look there next. Thank you for the education for those that replied.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: