New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Peter Pontiac
Tribal Scout

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2019 :  12:56:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I bought this bird and the previous owner replaced the emergency brake cable, calipers, rotors, lines, and pads. Brakes work great but the cable seems to be too long and when I set the brake there is too much slack to allow the brakes to work. How do I adjust this?

Peter Lomas

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5124 Posts

Posted - 09 Jan 2019 :  9:05:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
If new emergency brake cables were installed on the car, it means the inside of the drums were dealt with to remove the old cables. When the drums were reassembled the previous owner may not have adjusted the brake shoes correctly to correspond with the emergency brake when it is engaged.

There are three (3) cables used. Rather than have me write a lengthy "how-to" on the adjustment of the brakes at the shoes and how to get the correct tension on the cables, I found this helpful link which should get you back in business.

Here is is: https://www.autozone.com/repairguides/GM-Firebird-1967-1981-Repair-Guide/Parking-Brake/Cable/_/P-0900c152800811a9

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: