New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

p.rat
Tribal Scout

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2018 :  06:44:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just registered here at PSP. Is anyone still around?

68bird
Cochise

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2018 :  08:30:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5448 Posts

Posted - 20 Dec 2018 :  09:51:56 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We're all here. It's winter project time!
Go to Top of Page

p.rat
Tribal Scout

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2018 :  05:28:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
WOW, responses! I have been following along on PSP for a few yrs. and have finally joined. I like PSP and have gathered alot of info from here. Thanks, everyone for sharing! I will be working on my profile and pics, but briefly I will highlight what I have: 1) '79 T/A w/4spd (ST-10)., WS-6, n.o.m. RAM-AIR III (blown-up),no t-tops, no a.c., no p.w./p.l. 2) '71 Lemans Sport (Calif. car, non-running, no rust), built TH400, 12-bolt rear(Olds?), Pontiac 350(stock), a.c. 3) '75 Grand Prix SJ (original 75,000 mi. from Fla. (rusty from living it's life by the ocean), 455/TH400. The T/A and Lemans are "keepers" and the G.P. I bought just for the engine. The plan was to swap the 455 from the G.P. for the Lemans' 350, get the G.P. running and peddle it. But then, I blew the T/A's 400. A friend was selling a relatively low mi. Cadillac 500 c.i. engine, which I bought with the intent of putting that in the Lemans (sacrilege?) and then the 455 into the T/A. Now keep in mind, I accumulated this stuff 10-13 yrs. ago. Then Life got in the way...(sound familiar?). I have since acquired a "period correct" 400 (non-thin casting) engine w/6X-4 heads that needs a rebuild, another set of 6X-4 heads and various other parts. I won't know the condition of the T/A's RAM-AIR III engine until I pull it and tear it down. So, sorry for being so long with this, but in a nutshell, I am ready to proceed, starting with the Grand Prix. Also, my goal for the Lemans is to make it a nice, dependable cruiser, yet fast enough to not embarrass me. And, the T/A to be a dependable high 11's-low 12 sec. street/strip car. Thanks for any suggestions anyone my have, and I'm glad that I finally joined your "club"! Pontiac Street Performance is a great site and hopefully it and the Pontiac legend will be around a long time!
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 21 Dec 2018 :  1:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome. Thanks for posting your projects.

Out of curiousity, is the engine in the t/a an actual 69-70 ram air 3 then? Or is it the original w72 for the car?

LOL. Not the first person wanting to shoe-horn a Caddy engine into something. Sometimes we use what we have. I have a 1970 455 Olds w-34 engine in a 71 chevelle. Olds has been in the car longer now than the SBC was from the factory.

Sounds like you have some great short blocks to start with now. If your going to sell the GP: versus doing the 350 swap. My guess is it is worth enough being a original 455sj that you could keep it together, and it would be worth more than enough additional with the original engine to buy the engine parts to turn the 400s into stroker engines. When you can buy a 4 or 4.25 stroker crank for 300 dollars, no longer any reason to start with a 455.
Jay
Go to Top of Page

p.rat
Tribal Scout

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 22 Dec 2018 :  10:27:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the welcomes, all. Jay, in regards to your reply about the GP, I have thought long and hard about this. I bought the car over 10 yrs. ago for the engine. I don't think that affordable stroker kits were available then. Keep in mind that this car, even though it is original, is very rusty (qtrs., fr. fenders, floor, trunk, even the hood!). It's interior needs: dash pad, carpet, seat covers, etc. It does have good glass and trim, though. I really wonder if the car is worth restoring. It would make a good "parts car" or "driver". I took an early retirement from Ford (gasp!) and am living on a fixed income (partial pension and S.S.Disability), so I have to work with what I have... I guess I could get it re-running and try to sell it the way it is. But, I need to get it out of the garage by Spring, one way or the other. Also, the Pontiac 350 doesn't fit into any plan except for in the GP. Thanks again, and Merry Christmas to everyone!
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1339 Posts

Posted - 23 Dec 2018 :  07:44:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome and Merry Christmas! Just a personal preference, I'd get the TA done first course, I"m not biased.

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 27 Dec 2018 :  8:25:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Kevin it sounds like your on the right track if the GP is that rusty. Bang for the buck it is hard to beat a 455. Through the 6x-4 heads on it, with a better cam, rering job if it needs it, put it in one of the cars and have some fun. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! Jay
Go to Top of Page

p.rat
Tribal Scout

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 02 Jan 2019 :  07:15:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Re: Grand Prix SJ. I sold the Caddy 500 c.i./trans. over Christmas. Got $900 for them (paid $300), not bad! Will put the $$$ in my Pontiac fund. After considering everyone's advice, I think the option of keeping the GP's 455 and putting the 350 into it is the best one. Once it is running and some bugs sorted out, I'll sell the GP for whatever I can get. Then concentrate on the T/A. I still don't know exactly which 400 is in it now or what damage was done when I blew it. The "YS" stamping at the front of the block suggest it isn't anything special. I thought that the friend that I bought the car from said it is a RA III, but the more I think about it, I think he said the heads were RA IIIs. Anyway, I also have another mid '70's 400 (non-"557") that would be "correct" for a '79 T/A w/4 spd. This engine has the 6X-4 heads and I have another set of bare "virgin" 6X-4 heads. So, I have various options available. Whichever way I go, the motors will be rebuilt using quality parts and machining processes. I'm leaning towards the 455 in the Lemans and the 400 currently in the T/A (if savable) built for street/strip. The other 400 just keep it to go with the T/A in case myself or someone else wants to restore the car in the future. I hope that everyone enjoyed the Holidays and their New Year gets off to a good start! I'd like to hear your suggestions...
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
346 Posts

Posted - 03 Jan 2019 :  12:03:28 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like you did well selling the caddy.

The 455 might be in pretty decent shape looking at the miles the car had. It might not need much for machine work. May be able to consider just rings and bearings and put it in the one of the cars. Lee Atkinson has a 455 build here on psp that IRC, was rerung and put together with a custom cam and stock valve terrain.

Then you could use the machine work toward a 400 stroker for the future 11-12 second engine. Many times by the time you start doing the machine work on used parts you get close to just buying new. Some of the new cranks and rods need machining to get them in spec. That is the only risk.

Have you checked the the head identication numbers on the engine in the t/a? Jay

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 03 Jan 2019 12:04:41 AM
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: