New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2018 :  3:25:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not sure why I got to thinking about this topic, just some funny memories.

Favorite Classified car ad of all time was in the Omaha World Herold sometime in the early 90s. It said:

For sale: 1970 Duster, red, no chunk, $3000.

LOL, that is exactly how the ad was written, guessing the car had a chain link steering wheel and fuzzy dice hanging off the mirror. A friend could not contain himself and called on the car, LOL, he learned about as much from reading the ad.

Another ad that I will never forget was an ad for a 1970 Oldsmobile Tornado that we went and looked at. It was advertise as 30,000 ish milage. My dad called and talked to the owner, the owner bragged how good it ran, which it probably did run good it had the 400hp 455. The owner said no one had sit in the back seat, it still had the factory plastic cover over it. No issues to report, but it had a dent in the front fender. My Dad, brother and I went to look at the car. We saw what looked to be the car, but drove around the block a couple times because it did not fit the description, that and the owner was power washing out the interior of the car. We stopped, it was the car. We all still laugh about it. The cars dented front fender was from plowing into a bridge at high speed. The back seat, it was as described, but mice had removed the cloth and left the springs behind. On top of that, it did not have a title. LOL. Did not bring that one home.

Several more stories to come...
Jay

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 11 Dec 2018 9:31:47 PM

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2018 :  6:15:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A car buying story from my high school days. During shop class a classmate bought a 73 Road Runner. He would bring some parts in to shop class to work on. I was a sophomore, he was a Junior, and not the sharpest fella. He bought the car with a bad engine and found what he called was a STRONG runner to do a engine and trans swap. The new transmission had a longer tail shaft, when he was doing the swap he asked about what he should do. I think I told him to go to a salvage yard. Following week he was asked if he figured it out. He said he did, him and another guy shortened the driveshaft. Same week he brought the trans linkage mount for the shifter in to be modified because the new transmission had no provisions for it. At the time I did not really realize what he was modifying.

Later he claimed he got it running, everything was great but the shifter did not work right. He offered the car for sale to my brother and I for $150. We bought it, and brought it home. We got it running after working and working to get it too start. It was a dog, could barely pull itself. It would also randomly shift gears with little to no control from reverse to first. We drove it 3/4 of a mile and turned around for fear we were going to have to walk. We got it home and it died. The quote STRONG runner did not have enough compression to start again. Did a compression check and the best cylinder had 80lbs. LOL, most of the cylinders would not move the needle.

So we started too work on the car. LOL, Right away we noticed the 3 foot long bracket bolted to the floor board running to the transmission linkage as the reason for the shifting problems. Then we found the drive shaft was indeed shortened. I remember my brother saying, NO, he could not have. LOL, he shortened the drive shaft IN THE MIDDLE.

This was the first of many purchases that were: STRONG RUNNERS! LOL

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 10 Dec 2018 10:35:44 AM
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2018 :  6:46:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Another couple car buying stories from the past. Have you ever coveted a classic car your elderly neigher drove that your pretty sure the car never made it over 50mph? A neighbor had a 6 cylinder 67 plymouth 2 door valiant that we wanted to buy to drive for a while then turn into a drag car. Ugly brown car we renamed the vomit. The only option the car had was the option to delete all options, not even a radio. He went to a retirement villa and that year his car came up on auction. I know the car had an easy life, mostly 40 mph. What should have been the tip off on the engines condition was the empty bottles of RECYCLED non detergent engine oil. They did not try to start the car for the auction. We figure since it was just parked it should run, no problems. Put a battery in and cranked it over. SCREECH, SCREECH....LOL..the sound of rings scraping against dry cylinder walls. It never ran again.

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 10 Dec 2018 3:09:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 09 Dec 2018 :  7:28:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not to be out done, the second coveted daily driver car was much cooler. It was a 1972 Dodge Charger bought new by my neighbors. Nearly every day driving to highschool we would pass the car with our first car which was a 71 chevelle. We did not know it was our neighbors car at first, and the first time we came up behind the car, which LOL, never exceeded 50, we thought he might be messing with us, and would blow our doors off when we tried to pass it. LOL, it became a daily routine, our neighbor drove to coffee in the morning and we would pass him.

Sometime in the 2000s our neighbor contacted us and he said he would like us to buy the car for whatever we thought it was worth. We did, so we are the second owners of the car. He had logged 276,000 miles on the car, only thing he said he did was put a waterpump and fuel pump on the car since new. It still ran good and we drove it home.

LOL, sooo, aparrently our neighbor was a little easier on cars than we were. After we got it home, we drove it 4 miles. Proceeded to run a quarter mile to check the performance out. Somewhere during the testing, the motor mount broke, destroying the shroud and the blew the exhuast off. Went immediately home and as we pulled into the driveway the engine died. The timing chain jumped a couple teeth. He drove it for 276,000 miles, we killed it in 4. LOL,Jay

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 10 Dec 2018 11:44:09 PM
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2018 :  3:36:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A 1973 Grand Prix SJ 455 came up for sale in a classified add a while back. It was in a bad part of the city. Trying to get direction from the owner he kept saying, that will not work, too dangerous of an area to drive through. After a few minutes of trying to find a way to get there the owner said: there is no way to get from where your at to where the car is at. LOL, not a good sign...

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 10 Dec 2018 3:41:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 10 Dec 2018 :  11:26:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
70 GTO, 455 auto test drive. Everyone has those memorable test drives that you never forget. Sometimes a person gets lucky and gets to test drive something for a day, week, etc. Not the same experience, but this was fun because of the car and the setting. It was a very original 455 car. In addition to the car, another memorable aspect was that the car was on a farm with the closest town 20 miles away. But for about 3 miles next to the farm was a black top that did not go anywhere, did not connect to a highway, with no houses on it. Man would I love to live there! The owner took it out a couple times. Then he let us take the car out and we flogged it even more. Everyone car enthuseist should have their own drag strip. SOLD. :)
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5202 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2018 :  08:55:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Back in 1966 right around HS graduation, I was tired of driving my Mom's very cool Chevrolet Impala 2 door coupe (bubble top) because it was under powered with a 283. It would not chirp the tires. Bummer.

So, I began my hopeful quest for a muscle car. Cost was going to confine my reality. At that time, there was no real market for used muscle cars, so new was my ticket to power.

I was interested in the 66 442, 66 GTO, and the 66 Chevy Nova SS. I went to each dealership and looked and looked. Both the Olds and Pontiac were well beyond my purchasing reach, so it fell to the smaller Nova.

Here is what happened.

I drove to the main Chevrolet dealership (Slayton Chevrolet) in my Mom's 61 Impala and parked. Inside the showroom was a light green Nova SS, 327, 350 horse, 4 speed with black interior. Wow, I thought. After sitting in the driver's seat dreaming of cruising in this car, a salesman approached and we talked. After a while he asked if I would like to take the car for a ride. "Of course," was my reply. He asked if that was my Impala out front and I told him it was and he asked where I lived and I told him. My home was about 9 miles away. He said okay and backed the Nova out of the showroom, went to their gas pump and put several gallons of gas in the tank. I handed over my keys to the Impala and without even looking at my driver's license, allowed me to drive solo with temp tag in place, to my home 9 miles away to show my parents the car.

The car was quick it drove like nothing previously experienced and I was thrilled every minute driving the SS to the house. At each light the SS was first off the light. What a blast.

When I pulled into the driveway at the house, my heart was pumping because my Dad's Caddy was also in the driveway which meant he was home and that meant I had a chance of persuading him to allow me to buy this very cool car.

I told him why I had the car and persuaded him to drive the car around the block. So he hopped in the car and off he went with my 8 year old brother buckled up in the passenger side bucket seat.

After he came back my dad was a little perplexed. He didn't tell me for years why he wasn't in favor of me getting this car, but did contact the dealership twice to work a deal.

After his ride, my 8 year old brother joined me and we drove 9 miles back to the dealership. At one traffic light, I got on it and saw just how easy it was to smoke those skinny tires. Very impressed...I drove easy after that demonstration and pulled into the dealership and spoke to the salesman and told him my dad took the car for a ride and would be calling him (which he did).

Let me remind you all reading this that this type of permission to drive solo doesn't exist today. I was given total control over this 350 hp muscle car. I was still 17 years old. People trusted people back then. They had no reason to doubt my sincerity. I had this dealership's trust.

My dad negotiated with the dealership on my behalf and he would not budge over $2600. I had saved $1400 and needed the balance from my folks to meet that target. The purchase never happened. A new car however was in still my future though. Can you guess what it was?

It was dark red, 2 door, bucket seats, off white interior, 4:12 rear gearing, dual carbs atop the biggest most powerful engine in the line up. Pretty cool for a 17 year old.

Give up?

It was a VW Fastback, not a Beetle with a whopping 65 hp engine. This car was driven often and it did not get me into trouble. It was my daily car. It was my race car at auto crosses and at the local drag strip. It was my N/PS winner and several of my old trophies from the car are still around.

The muscle car of my 17 year old dreams never came to fruition. Not until 1979 at age 31 was I able to afford a cool muscle car and as most of you know by now, I still own it.

Knowing me, if I had gotten that Nova SS in 1966 I would still own it today and it would be far more valuable than my TA. The paths one takes...makes a difference.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 11 Dec 2018 :  9:06:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome story! The VW Fastback was a cool car. Kind of reminded me of the Karmann Gia. LOL, had me on the 4.12 gears. I assume the 61 Impala was the highschool ride then? Was it a glide or manual? My Dads school car (LOL still have it) was a 62 Chevy Biscayne, blue, 4 door, 235 cid 3 speed with the overdrive, drove it through college. Which leads into another car buying story :)

Era: Christmas Present for Dad, 1987, the second car I bought and brought home at the age of 15. Generations of my family have lived on a farm with several generations of cars and trucks hidden around the family farm. At the age of 13, my twin brother and I, with the help of Dad, did body work and painted our first car, 1971 Chevelle 2 door, more bark than bite, 307 2bbl, 275/60r15 cragars out back and a cowl hood. We completed it and drove it to school in the 8th grade. My brother and I knew Dad drove the 62 chevy in the treeline to highschool. But, we were unimpressed by his old ride. We went on a quest to find something COOLER, LOL. We found a 1962 Impala 2 dr hardtop, 327 300HP 4 speed at a junk yard. My brother and I snuck around town on our SCHOOL PERMIT to find the car. We proceed to buy it for $50, and would give it to Dad a week later for Christmas. We took Dads 79 Ford F150, called a neighbor to barrow his car trailer. Proceeded to sneek around to town, loaded the Impala up with a hand winch, chained it down and brought it home. :) I do not recall asking to use the pickup...I can only imagine what the man that ran the junkyard thought. LOL Those same two kids grabbed a 1969 Dodge Charger from the same yard earlier that summer with the same rig. :)

Interesting thing to note: The engine for the Impala is getting assembled out it the shop right now, at one point we planned to do a Pontiac engine in it, but settled on a 348 W engine with a 4 inch crank, making it a 427 in front of the M22 4 speed. 31 years after we brought it home...Jay

[URL=https://s350.photobucket.com/user/jaystukenholtz/media/d2080949-9d70-4ceb-adb1-3281b037e299_zpsaydhgffg.jpg.html][/URL]

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 12 Dec 2018 12:28:31 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5202 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2018 :  11:31:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Powerglide tranny. First could wind up to nearly 50 mph before shifting. It took light years to get to that mph though. I'm guessing--probably an 18 sec 1/4 mile--never tested at the track. It didn't stop me from getting dates...that was the saving grace in HS--it looked cool. In my last year of HS, my dad put new custom roll and pleat interior in the car. The sun was brutal on the original fabric. This car had tinted windows yet the amount of glass made the inside like an oven.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 12 Dec 2018 3:03:22 PM
Go to Top of Page

clnrobert
Tribal Scout

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 23 May 2019 :  11:28:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had fun reading those story. Now I know what to avoid.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: