New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Douglas Willinger
Sitting Bull

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2018 :  01:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

If one is planning a car project build that would eventually include adding a Chevrolet 12 bolt, and casting numbers and housing stampings are irrelevant, is it better to buy a used 12 bolt assembly to have rebuilt, or just purchase a complete rebuilt assembly from a company such as Moser?

Am contemplating a 1972 Le Mans 4 door hardtop for a later project.

Eventually I would build a "small journal 455 HO" (1972 455 HO top end on a 1972 400 block with 4.25 forged aftermarket rotating assembly).

Most of these cars came with a 10 bolt which would be either a 2.78 or 2.56, the former being standard with a/c which this car had originally.

I have found for sale a 1965 Chevy Chevelle/Malibu A body 12 bolt in the $500 range, non posi with 3.07 ratio, which has an advantage as a 1965-1967 unit for being narrower to provide space for wider rear tires. And I see that Moser charges about $365 extra for this earlier application.

How would the economics of such a purchase, assuming nothing seriously wrong, measure up?

Douglas Willinger
Sitting Bull

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2018 :  12:07:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I see that the spring perches differ than a 1968-1972 unit.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7286 Posts

Posted - 05 Oct 2018 :  10:47:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think it all comes down to what you have available on hand vs. starting from scratch. If starting from scratch, I'd think the complete assembly (Moser et al) would be more economical plus you can spec out exactly what you want.

All too often we fall into that trap of compromising on something because we try to utilize something we already have in the garage or try to economize by grabbing something on CL or ebay, only to end up with something which was not exactly what we wanted in the first place.

If you are a competent guy as far as setting up the R&P etc., it would be a point in the piece meal column or even if you have a good rear end guy to put it all together for you.

Don't discount the 8.5" 10-bolt either unless you really want the look of the 12 bolt under there.

If it were me, at this point in my life I'd pass on the 12 bolt and go 9" set up for my vehicle.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. LS swaps in Pontiacs should only apply to Fieros.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: