Burt Reynolds has died
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5202 Posts

Posted - 06 Sep 2018 :  4:19:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Burt Reynolds passed away today at the age of 82. He helped bring fun and excitement to the Pontiac world and made the Black Special Edition TA an icon.

R. I. P.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 06 Sep 2018 6:40:49 PM

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1347 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2018 :  12:10:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was hoping I'd get to meet him before he passed. East bound and down.

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 07 Sep 2018 :  4:09:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Certainly one of my favorite actors. I believe I was about 6 when and saw him drive that black TA out of the semi trailer. Unforgetable! Jay
Smokey and the Bandit Burt Reynolds RIP tribute.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nZZPalUHlxc

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 11 Sep 2018 7:36:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Matt H
Cochise

USA
344 Posts

Posted - 08 Sep 2018 :  12:03:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit Matt H's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Always been a fan of Burt Reynolds. Liked a lot of his earlier movies. Deliverance, Stick, Sharkeys Machine , White Lightning, Gator and of course Smokey and the Bandit. He will be missed.

Matt
1981 Pontiac TA Pace Car
461 with 6x8 stock iron heads. XR 224/230 HR Turbo 350 3.08 gears
13.44 ET

Edited by - Matt H on 08 Sep 2018 12:04:46 AM
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
453 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2018 :  7:35:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Smokey and the Bandit is playing at the theater the week in Omaha for a Burt Reynolds Memorial. Check your theaters. I get to take my son to see it..same age as I was. Going with some friends, there are 14 of us going, very cool. Jay

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 11 Sep 2018 7:57:05 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5202 Posts

Posted - 16 Sep 2018 :  12:16:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Burt enjoyed himself that's easy to see. He was instrumental building excitement for car lovers. How many of you took a second look at Pontiacs because of Smokey and the Bandit. Tell us what happened for you!

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 16 Sep 2018 12:17:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7293 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2018 :  09:03:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[quote]Originally posted by Corncob2061

..I believe I was about 6 when and saw him drive that black TA out of the semi trailer. Unforgetable![quote]

That scene did it for me too and is a big reason I have owned 2nd gen Firebirds ever since. Rockfords Esprit 400 started me on the path, then came McQs 73 Brewster Green T/A, and the coup de grace (Burt pulling that black Trans Am out of the trailer back in 1977). I was in high school then and the movie was shown at an Assembly (one of the few occasional perks at a Catholic HS). Two years later I got my license and bought the Formula. It is still here and I have managed to accumulate about a half dozen other Firebirds & T/A keepers over the years, not counting all the buy/sell ones and parts cars that have come and gone..

Thanks Burt!!

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. LS swaps in Pontiacs should only apply to Fieros.

Edited by - Phil on 18 Sep 2018 09:10:14 AM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5202 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2018 :  09:33:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I was a Burt Reynolds fan for years and saw Smokey and the Bandit when it came out and had fun watching it as I recall. The car was cool, but it didn't overwhelm me as I was driving a 76 Grand Prix at the time. Shortly after the movie hit the theaters, it became evident that lots of people were really taken by the Black TA as more of them appeared cruising the streets. Seeing the fun these people were having boosted my interest in the TA. Then in 1978 my interest peaked when I read a review of the Trans Am in one of the car mags. I said to my wife after reading it, " I got to have one." It was late in the car year and we finally went to JM Pontiac in Hollywood Florida to check them out. All I could get was a Pontiac brochure. I was told all of the '78s like I wanted were no longer available. Disappointed, a few more weeks passed, then another month and on the day following Thanksgiving (1978) I ordered my 79 Trans Am. I was told it would take months to get it because of the equipment ordered WS-6, L78-W72, coupe without hatches, color etc. The months passed by slowly. During those months I was able to get a 1979 Z/28 Camaro, Silver with red interior to drive. I told the young teenagers on my block that I had a Trans Am on order...and they didn't believe me. Besides who in their right mind drives a cool Z/28 as an alternative while a car is on order.

Boy were they surprised. In mid May 1979 my new TA arrived. Bye-bye Z/28, hello Pontiac power and 4 wheel disc brakes. Burt set all of this in motion for me. It took off slowly like an avalanche and gained lots of momentum.

----
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: