New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Douglas Willinger
Sitting Bull

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2018 :  2:20:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Am moving to Southern California during the next two months, and thus am taking my 1970 Firebird Trans Am roller (no engine, transmission nor front clip and windshield) along.

The condo we are moving into has a two car garage, but condo rules disallow storage of inoperable automobiles "within the community".

I shall be putting this car into some automotive body restoration shop sometime within the next following months upon locating such a suitable facility.

But where can I find storage in the interim? Every storage facility tat I have found on line so far insist that such cars be registered, insured ad operational.

tjs44
Crazy Horse

USA
523 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2018 :  8:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stored a 70 RA IV trans am for a guy for a couple month.I could put it on one of my lifts if the engine runstand and cheery picker leave before you need it.The rub is going to get it down the ally,make the turn into the driveway and get it pushed up on the lift.Will need a few guys forsure.Tom
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5088 Posts

Posted - 26 Aug 2018 :  10:44:06 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've resided in California two different times and found the automobile laws to be problematic for me and hope you are able to figure things out soon for your own peace of mind.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Douglas Willinger
Sitting Bull

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  12:58:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tjs44

I stored a 70 RA IV trans am for a guy for a couple month.I could put it on one of my lifts if the engine runstand and cheery picker leave before you need it.The rub is going to get it down the ally,make the turn into the driveway and get it pushed up on the lift.Will need a few guys forsure.Tom

Tom, thanks. I shall keep you in mind as a backup plan.
Go to Top of Page

Douglas Willinger
Sitting Bull

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  1:00:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Boyle

I've resided in California two different times and found the automobile laws to be problematic for me and hope you are able to figure things out soon for your own peace of mind.

Bill, it is ridiculous as to the type of residential that authorities in California have allowed for residential development at least since the 1970s, with about zero extra off street parking.

It stinks to me as a means of maximizing profits and tax revenue, as well as to discourage our hobby and work to force people into newer cars.
Go to Top of Page

Douglas Willinger
Sitting Bull

USA
139 Posts

Posted - 01 Sep 2018 :  01:25:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I might be in need of another spot for something that just appeared and seems to be too good to pass up.

This would be short term for the sake of settling in after our cross country move, and for installing an engine and transmission.

This car is a 1972 Le Mans 4 door hardtop.

The short term plan is to put this together as a driver, with minimal expense, such as a stock brake job and better shocks and perhaps larger sway bars and some new bushings. And nothing all that special under the hood.

The longer term plan of course is to obtain and install a proper GTO or T-41 front clip, factory cold air system, duck-tail spoiler, and a repaint in its original color. Interestingly, Pontiac built no 4 door Le Mans with the T-41 nose for 1972, only 2 doors and wagons. IIRC they built very few 4 door T-41 cars for 1971, and weirdly, the only 1972 Le Mans 4 door hardtops were the "Luxury" variant with rear fender skirts.

At some subsequent time, I can always upgrade the drive-train. Build it a more suitable engine, say, what I would call a small journal 455 HO. AKA a date correct 400 block with 4" or 4.25" stroker internals, and the proper factory aluminum intake and 7F6 heads, 2.5" outlet RARE exhaust manifolds, etc. A 4 speed automatic. 12 bolt Chevrolet differential, or more radically a HEIDT IRS.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: