New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Douglas Willinger
Sitting Bull

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2018 :  12:53:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Shall be moving from New York to Southern California during the next 2 months.

I need to transport my roller 1970 Firebird Trans Am. It has the full suspension, powder-coated in 1987 with all 1987 new components, including 1LE 12" GM front discs, with 1973+ 15" Rally IIs, and Stainless Steel Brakes stainless steel hydraulic lies that look like they have not aged a day in 31 years. The front clip was removed, and the engine and transmission are not installed. The car suffered additional rust (trunk, floor and cowl over 14 years of plastic wrapped outdoor storage and would need such repairs, making it not feasible to just drop in my spare engine to make it driveable.

I had the idea of placing it inside a rental truck, but research tells me that is not very feasible, owing to matters of ramps, securing and a perhaps a point inside the truck to attach a hand winch.

Don't yet know if U-Hall's car trailers allow rollers rather than complete automobiles, and wanted to use that for Mom's car.

What are my options?

Thanks in advance.

Douglas Willinger
Sitting Bull

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  12:57:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Penske is no good, they do not allow cars prior to 1972 model year on their car trailers.

Never mind that a 1972 Firebird is practically the same car as a 1971 or 1970 Firebird. "Insurance liability" is given as their excuse.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5095 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  8:37:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've criss-crossed the country several times pulling my TA. Most of the time U-Haul was used, dual axles. When the price became too high in 2000, it was more prudent for me to purchase an open trailer. The new trailer was used twice once in 2000 (VA to CA) and then in 2003 (CA to FL). it paid for itself on the second use. Try U-Haul and check out their price. What vehicle are you going to use to pull it? There are some long, steep grades out west.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Crazy Horse

USA
533 Posts

Posted - 28 Aug 2018 :  9:28:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Douglas,put a post on PY,there are a couple car haulers on that site.Tom
Go to Top of Page

Douglas Willinger
Sitting Bull

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2018 :  1:13:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bill Boyle

I've criss-crossed the country several times pulling my TA. Most of the time U-Haul was used, dual axles. When the price became too high in 2000, it was more prudent for me to purchase an open trailer. The new trailer was used twice once in 2000 (VA to CA) and then in 2003 (CA to FL). it paid for itself on the second use. Try U-Haul and check out their price. What vehicle are you going to use to pull it? There are some long, steep grades out west.

Bill, I was going to use a Budget 16' truck, which I ended up doing for their car trailer with the family 325XI. That truck's brakes were not up to par once loaded, but I made it to California safely.

I am seriously considering an eventual purchase of an adequate trailer and pulling vehicle for corralling virtually rustless bodies to the southwest for a continuation car venture.....
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: