New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mike389
Big Trees

USA
597 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2018 :  7:24:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a Auto Meter sending unit on oil filter housing & to move to oil outlet next to distributor will be a pain due to it's size, has anyone ever ran a line from top to the oil filter housing spotting a tee there for tubing ? will it work & give a better pressure reading is the ????
Mike

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2018 :  11:12:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds like a good plan to me. I do not think will be a better pressure reading, just more convenient hook up by the sound of your project. I have many, many engines with remote sending units, ,Murphy gauges, senders tee d in for both electric and mech gauges, etc. I would suggest getting the copper line instead of the plastic tubing though. Most parts stores will try sending you home with the plastic tubing, the copper tubing is pretty bullet proof. Jay
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 15 Aug 2018 :  11:19:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Reading your post again. Are you just trying to get a better reading? Maybe I miss read.jay
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
597 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2018 :  02:51:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i read that the more accurate reading is next to the dist. but there is clearance issues with the big sending unit so running tubing to the oil filter connector might improve the reading that's all !
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2018 :  09:48:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, I follow you now. I thought you where just trying to move the sender unit. If you are blocking of the flow from the filter housing and just reading up above that would work fine. It would not work to put a tee down there, the line would be bypassing the oil filter. The sender at the oil filter housing is before the filter and by the distributor is after. You could do that if you put a check valve going to the sender unit from up at the dist. But it will always be reading the higher reading which is before the filter.

Awesome engine compartment pic on your profile! Jay

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 16 Aug 2018 10:11:55 AM
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
304 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2018 :  01:36:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some other smaller sending units that could work as well in place of the auto meter unit. Just have to make sure they use the same ohms. Some you can also adjust the ohms/pressure to get better readings.

I imagine you have this unit
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/atm-2242?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-autometer&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjtnfjuL13AIVhYSzCh1MKA8gEAUYAiABEgIhu_D_BwE
Go to Top of Page

mike389
Big Trees

USA
597 Posts

Posted - 20 Aug 2018 :  4:45:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I do have that unit ! it came with the gauge & is big compared to most !!
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: