New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Douglas Willinger
Sitting Bull

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2018 :  7:15:06 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
We are moving from Westchester County, New York, to Southern California sometime in the next few months.

I have my Blue/Blue deluxe interior, 4 speed, 1970 Firebird Trans Am roller in the house garage and shall be transporting it within the moving truck that is going to Southern California (San Marcos), where we have a condo, and have family members in Santa Monica, and in Van Nays. We eventually plan on selling the San Marcos condo and move to a house in the general vicinity of West Covina - San Bernardino. I have a friend in Van Nays who has offered me free outdoor storage for the TA.

Where would be the best area to get the car body restored. To keep costs down, I would like to do much of the assembly myself, which my friend offering me the storage has offered likewise the space to do the assembly. Is Arizona the best idea, to minimize transport expenses from the body shop when done? Are there any detriments to having the body work done in southern CA- higher labor costs and or environmental restrictions that may impact types of finishes etc.

The body needs some rust repair, pieces of floors, inner cowl, and lower quarters.

Also, the powder coat needs re-doing. The job done in 1987 failed, though the SSB stainless parts appear to have not aged a day over the past 2 decades.

This is the car with the engine that is the topic of the thread: "1970 Ram Air III/IV 434 Build"

http://psp.aquacomp.net/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13682

Edited by - Douglas Willinger on 28 Jul 2018 7:59:57 PM

Douglas Willinger
Sitting Bull

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 28 Jul 2018 :  7:19:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

My 1970 Firebird Trans Am Facebook Albums

https://www.facebook.com/douglas.willinger/media_set?set=a.10210921046885270.1073741846.1325925834&type=3

https://www.facebook.com/douglas.willinger/media_set?set=a.10209160961124226.1073741841.1325925834&type=3
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
268 Posts

Posted - 29 Jul 2018 :  11:02:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How about the San Diego area?
Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Cochise

321 Posts

Posted - 04 Aug 2018 :  02:27:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are body shops all over that area go to a couple of cruise ins and talk to some of the locals. They can most likely put you on to a good body shops. Check out the Pomona Swap Meet. Southern Cal is a hot bed of restoration. At least it was when I was there. Classic Industries is down in Huntington Beach,there are numerous specialty shops. I just had my steering box built by Lee they are up in Valencia.You name it if its car related SoCal has it.
Rich
Go to Top of Page

Douglas Willinger
Sitting Bull

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2018 :  2:08:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red Horse

There are body shops all over that area go to a couple of cruise ins and talk to some of the locals. They can most likely put you on to a good body shops. Check out the Pomona Swap Meet. Southern Cal is a hot bed of restoration. At least it was when I was there. Classic Industries is down in Huntington Beach,there are numerous specialty shops. I just had my steering box built by Lee they are up in Valencia.You name it if its car related SoCal has it.
Rich

Wow! That's the area (West Covina to San Bernardino) that I was looking at for real estate. Thanks!
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Crazy Horse

USA
533 Posts

Posted - 10 Aug 2018 :  2:37:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You would like the Huntington Beach area.Donut Derlics has been going on for maybe 30 years or more in HB,about 4-5 of us pontiac guys meet there sat AM if we are in town.One of our guys has 3 pontiacs and owns 3 body shops.!st and last Sunday of the month we meet in Tustin for Bfast.The other sundays we meet in Seal Beach.Also do the Seal Beach car show where we have maybe 25-30 pontiacs on Ocean blvd in April.Cooler than the weather inland.When you get in town let me know and will get you my cell number.Clasic is in HB and OPG is in seal Beach.Tom
Go to Top of Page

Douglas Willinger
Sitting Bull

USA
140 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2018 :  1:51:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tjs44

You would like the Huntington Beach area.Donut Derlics has been going on for maybe 30 years or more in HB,about 4-5 of us pontiac guys meet there sat AM if we are in town.One of our guys has 3 pontiacs and owns 3 body shops.!st and last Sunday of the month we meet in Tustin for Bfast.The other sundays we meet in Seal Beach.Also do the Seal Beach car show where we have maybe 25-30 pontiacs on Ocean blvd in April.Cooler than the weather inland.When you get in town let me know and will get you my cell number.Clasic is in HB and OPG is in seal Beach.Tom

Thanks Tom! Will do shortly after the move to Southern California, which I am now researching the logistics, including the transport of my roller status 1970 blue TA.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: