Bleeding brakes
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red Horse
Cochise

315 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2018 :  03:21:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Still have't bled the brakes. The manual says to use a special tool to hold the metering valve open. However this system doesn't have a metering valve. I've been told I need remove the emergency brake sender and install a dummy plug while bleeding the brakes. Haven't been able to find one yet. Another thing I noticed is the master cylinder didn't bleed out when I disconnected the brake lines. Makes me wonder if there is a blockage in the cylinder. I did read some where the procedure is to bleed right front left front right rear left rear.
Comments anyone?
Rich

Red Horse
Cochise

315 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2018 :  03:28:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Correction I checked the car does have a metering valve it has a rubber cover on it. Is that removed in order to depress the valve ?
Rich
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2018 :  11:59:03 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
The rubber boot is to keep the little valve stem clean. It should be temporarily removed so that the metering valve can be depressed and held open. My old 1971 Chilton's states: "The valve stem can be taped or hand-held." Whatever works to keep the stem depressed is the key.

Bleed sequence: start at the PS rear, then DS rear, then PS front and DS front.

Be sure to watch the amount of fluid in the reservoir--add fresh fluid as you bleed each wheel to as you get all the those little bubbles out.

Will you have a "helper" to work the brake pedal as you open/close the bleeders?

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Cochise

315 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2018 :  2:52:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill, the wife helper is not too happy about all this .

Edited by - Red Horse on 12 Jul 2018 9:52:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Cochise

315 Posts

Posted - 12 Jul 2018 :  9:55:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Classic sells a dummy plug that replaces the emergency brake light sensor when bleeding the brakes, does metering valve still have to be open? Is there away to check if the compensating ports are open with the master cylinder installed?

Edited by - Red Horse on 12 Jul 2018 11:56:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Cochise

315 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2018 :  03:44:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Removed the boot but could not depress the valve stem. So removed the valve, the stem is frozen in place. It looks like a new valve is in order.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2018 :  10:44:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Everything gets complicated it seems.

I was bleeding the brakes on my TA after replacing the master cylinder some years back and when I got to the DR bleeder, the damn thing broke off. I couldn't believe it. Got it out and replaced it, but boy was I mad at myself for ignoring the crud around the bleeder. All the other bleeders were fine. Your car is 10 years older than mine, so surprises should be the norm, I guess. Hang in there.

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 13 Jul 2018 10:51:13 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Cochise

315 Posts

Posted - 13 Jul 2018 :  2:06:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This car has become a hanger queen. Of course there are no metering valves for this vehicle on the island. Gotta bring one from inline.
Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Cochise

315 Posts

Posted - 14 Jul 2018 :  02:20:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I disassembled the metering valve, idea was I could unstick it. reassembled it the way it came apart . I couldn't depress the pin I think the valve is assembled incorrectly.
so another weekend wasted waiting for parts. Was hoping to have this ca running before the daughter gets here from Oz. Only ten more days.
Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Cochise

315 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  01:38:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Installed the new metering valve from inline.The only parts not new are the booster and the master cylinder, Before I start bleeding do I have to worry about the brake emergency light switch moving and causing the rears brakes not to bleed? Would a vacuum bleeder be the way to go?
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  06:18:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Rich, I have a vacuum brake bleeder from these folks: http://www.mityvac.com

There system enables me to bleed brakes solo (without enlisting my wife to work the brake pedal).

I don't believe the emergency light brake switch interferes with the bleeding process.

----
Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Cochise

315 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2018 :  2:28:27 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill,That brake bleeder isn't available out here of course. Will try NAPA. Should I start with the master cylinder, it still has fluid in it.

Edited by - Red Horse on 21 Jul 2018 2:29:27 PM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: