change from Q/jet to E/brock ?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bober
Sitting Bull

169 Posts

Posted - 06 Jul 2018 :  12:03:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a 76 F/bird and I want to try a New 1411 750 E/B carb I have to see if and how much diff between the 2. I read I will need a 1"spacer to do this and I don't have the room under the hood . I have just the Performer on it now for a intake and a drop a/cleaner with a 14 x4" a/filter. (after /mkt. not E/B) Can I get away with a 3" tall air filter ? Thanks I don't have a shaker hood ,it's a solid F/bird hood .

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2018 :  01:19:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the 3 holds it back you could get the type that has the air filter in the top lid as well. That usually helps on the drop filters, even the 4 inch.
Jay
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2018 :  09:44:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a link to the Engine masters air cleaner dyno shoot out. I have ran a 3x14 drop a 500 hp engine, was likely holding it back, but on the street like you had no room.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OfJ7qnr0JJU
Go to Top of Page

bober
Sitting Bull

169 Posts

Posted - 07 Jul 2018 :  11:04:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the feed back
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Sitting Bull

171 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2018 :  1:39:37 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
ANY carb needs to be tuned to the motor/car, to perform optimally. The Edelbrock/Carter carbs are no different in that regard. Where they ARE different, is that the tuning parts (metering rods, jets, and springs) are quite expensive. I spent nearly $200 getting a decent set of tuning parts for these, and I bought most used off of ebay for about 20-cents on the dollar.

I still find better performance with Q=jets and Holleys (and even better with FAST efi).

CURRENT: '73 T/A clone, starting to get less boring!...
67 Firebird (sold) 11.27 @ 119.6 Feb. '05 issue HPP
69 Falcon wagon, 10.51 @ 130mph Feb. '10 issue PHR (sold)
72 Cutlass Convertible, first car, owned since '82, now with a 6.0 LS, mild, putting just under 400 hp/tq to the wheels.
www.LNLPD.com
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 08 Jul 2018 :  5:57:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have you purchased a edelbrock carb that your wanting to try? Or are you just looking for some more hp on your firebird?

I have run 800 edelbrocks a couple very mild 400s. I usually use q jet and holley though. What engine are you trying this on?
Jay

Edited by - Corncob2061 on 08 Jul 2018 5:59:42 PM
Go to Top of Page

bober
Sitting Bull

169 Posts

Posted - 09 Jul 2018 :  10:58:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm wanting to try it on my 455/30 over 6x4 heads mild cam . Just compare them as far as stinking up the shop all the time after driving it . Not trying to get more performance just wanted to see if it would even perform close to my Q/jet . I'm thinking not but if it's close and all else is good I may want to leave it on. I will more than likely have the q/jet on it when I get done as it's hard to beat the actual running/performance now. I have a couple other items I hope to get on it also that may pep it up some but it's slow coming ! Thanks for the feed back
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Cochise

USA
250 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  01:42:33 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might look at a demon 750 with the composite bowl. I have not tried one, only recently notice they had that. I have a Carter 800 cfm thermoquad on a 455 right now, which has a composite bowl also. It seems like the plastic bowl keeps the gas cooler and it will boil out more slowly, seems to have some benefits when running too. I remember the edelbrock was about the same as the q jet and Holley as far as stinking like gas when parked. Some put the plastic or wood spacer below the carb to keep the carb cooler. I have never tried that, I remember seeing a write up about it in Jim Hands Pontiac engine book.
Jay
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dem-1904
Go to Top of Page

bober
Sitting Bull

169 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2018 :  10:56:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The main reason I have not used any spacers under the carb is (no hood clearance ). I will be trying a small one when I can get to it and see if I can squeeze it in !Thanks
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: