New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

frankie
Two Feathers

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 29 Apr 2018 :  11:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay you wizards at electrical wiring. My headlights flash on and off when the headlights are turned off when i turn on my right blinker.go figure. not left just right. When headlights are on no turnsignal at all on the right side. where do u think i should look first. also the turnsignal light in the dash on the left side stays on when headlights are turned on. I have the grill out and tracking down any grounding issues..non found as of yet.. thanks in advance you heros out there
Frankie Muscutt
Auto Angels member

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4993 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2018 :  06:07:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Have you recently rewired anything? Or, have you pulled any of the connectors off the headlights and turn signals and put them back on wrong? Were you under the dashboard changing anything? Did this problems start out of the blue?

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3496 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2018 :  09:26:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The head light switch has an internal auto reset circuit breaker. So flashing head lights indicates a short to ground on the positive side.
I would look for a pinched harness in the core support between left and right headlights.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

frankie
Two Feathers

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2018 :  10:18:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill I have done all of that ,, added new one wire alternator , romoved dash to remove cluster and clean lens. This all started when i put in the new 462 last summer , while it was out i redid the engine compartment by cleaning it down to bare medal and re painted it . Had the car repainted last summer to Carousel red.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4993 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2018 :  1:00:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Okay, something changed when you were doing all that upgrade work on the car.

With the engine off, does the emergency flasher operate correctly? Tail lights and turn signal lights operate in emergency mode. Left and right turn signals should not effect emergency flashing.

Did you re-wire the head lights?

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

frankie
Two Feathers

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 30 Apr 2018 :  11:10:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bill
I have done so much to the car.. i interrupted the current from the acc to a on off switch, just like the electric fans running from relays, and even the main power has a on off switch all placed in my counsel.

I work for the Seattle Mariners and we have a 6 game home stand this week..just as the weather warms up too. The good news is my wife is going to Vegas for business for three days.. no what are u doing to that car now!!!!

Go to Top of Page

frankie
Two Feathers

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  5:25:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is what i know about it now. I have a positive short somewhere that shows up on my right parking lamp. when i ground the power senor to the ground and touch the housing of the parking light , the light for the senor comes on. The head lights will blink on and off when i activate the right turn signal. when the head lights flash on the ground sensor light goes off, then the sensor lights up when headlights cycle off. i have opened up the dash some by dropping the steering wheel to see for pinched wires. I wonder if it is in the steering wheel at the turn signal actuator?
I have to head off to the Marines now ,,we won last night again.. we never have had such a great April since 2001
Go to Top of Page

Corncob2061
Two Feathers

USA
59 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2018 :  9:49:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That sounds like a bad ground to me. If it were me, for trouble shooting and narrowing down the problem, I would run a new ground wire from the negative post on the battery or off the engine a go up to the radiator support or where ever the wiring harness is getting its ground for the lights. You could also test for a bad ground by pulling a halogen light bulb out and grounding out the ground terminal on the light harness socket. If your not sure which outlet is negative use a test light

My 2 cents
Jay
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7259 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2018 :  12:17:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When you repainted the engine compartment, did you remove the fresh paint where the grounds were reattached?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

frankie
Two Feathers

USA
77 Posts

Posted - 08 May 2018 :  11:14:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
yes i did repaint the engine compartment and i am still tracking down the issue. i will remove the grounding strap from the inner fender and frame and clean the connection. i like the idea of providing a new ground for now from the battery, however , i think it may be inside the steering housing . it is all not rocket science but it is frustrating .
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: