New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Miles
Cochise

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  3:53:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have a set of KRE aluminium D port heads.
I am installing Crower roller rockers and noticed some of the rockers are not quite square to the valve tip. The guide plate is holding the pushrod just slightly forward of rearward enough to move the roller a little off center over the valve tip. The valve tip ends up nearer to one end of the roller than the other.
Wondered if removing the guide plate and filing the slot in the plate wider is acceptable method of correcting this? Anyone have this issue with KRE heads? I don't want the slot in the plate so wide the rockers will move around more than they should.
Anyone know if there is enough play in the stud holes in the plate that loosening the studs will allow the plates to be shifted fore or aft?

Al

Miles
Cochise

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  3:56:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh yeah, the pushrods are 5/16" and straight.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3505 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2018 :  12:00:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Loosen the rocker studs and see if there is enough left and right movement in the guide plate to correct rocker running off the valve at 9 or 3 o'clock . Then re tighten.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 03 Apr 2018 09:52:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3505 Posts

Posted - 03 Apr 2018 :  09:46:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If the roller is close to going over the edge of the valve, 12 or 6 o'clock, then pushrods length may need to be changed.

https://youtu.be/o5is9BsH5OU

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 03 Apr 2018 09:47:35 AM
Go to Top of Page

Miles
Cochise

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2018 :  09:15:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies.
It's not the geometry from the push rod length but front to back that is the concern. I loosened the rocker studs and gained a little, the holes in the plates are pretty tight to the stud, not much adjustment there. I tried to file off some of the metal on the side of the hole in the plate but the plate steel is so hard the file just wouldn't bite. I may have to use a grindstone on a die grinder.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3505 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2018 :  12:45:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If you cut thru the hardened surface, the guide plate will be useless and will ware quickly during operation.
I saw another style of guide plate. They were keyed together but each pushrods slot could be adjusted independently. Can't remember the brand.

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Miles
Cochise

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 21 Apr 2018 :  4:27:36 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I remember seeing some adjustable ones in a mag or catalogue.

I wasn't going to grind the actual slots but the side of the hole the stud goes through. Only need to move the plate over a tad. Once the stud is tightened down onto the plate it shouldn't be a problem.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3505 Posts

Posted - 22 Apr 2018 :  12:53:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK

TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7274 Posts

Posted - 01 May 2018 :  12:16:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have the same problem with mine. Its still fairly new and I don't drive it much but its been on my radar. Plus I have PRW roller rockers which I hate (shouldn't have let Kauffman talk me into those) so I plan to address both at the same time.

I seem to remember P-Body commenting about this some time ago and he had a fix he used successfully. Maybe a search is in order on this forum.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Miles
Cochise

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 05 May 2018 :  10:32:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey Phil, are those the stainless steel 1.52:1 PRW roller rockers? If so I would get them out of there ASAP. Mine failed and filled the oil with metal. I'm not alone with this either, others have suffered the same fate. The rocker arms may be stainless but the trunions are made of a softer metal, the bearing needles wear the trunions.
If you like I can send you a couple of photographs of the damaged trunion, I may have a photograph of the oil filter paper with all the metal in it as well.

Al
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7274 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2018 :  12:23:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Miles, no they are the aluminum ones and so far they are ok but I have no confidence in them. So first chance I get they are outa there. Since I now officially have vintage registration and a PA vintage plate=no more state inspections and thus can start driving it again, I need to address this as I have a lot in the engine.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.

Edited by - Phil on 06 May 2018 12:25:40 AM
Go to Top of Page

Miles
Cochise

Canada
209 Posts

Posted - 06 May 2018 :  09:54:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know what you mean, I have a fortune in mine and it's on the engine stand instead of in the car. Weather just about nice enough to start this years driving.
I sure as H'll didn't want to dump another four grand into it but with the broken, and didn't perform right out of the box, lifters and the garbage rockers I had to rebuild the whole engine. Managed to save the crank by grinding it down 10 thou, but rings, pistons, cylinders, camshaft etc etc were all damaged.

Switched over to Crower solid roller lifters and roller rockers. Haven't read about a whole pile of failures with those, unlike the comp hydraulic rollers and the prw rockers. Over on the Olds sites they are savage over the lifters. I'm surprised they haven't started a class action lawsuit.

I also have Collector plates on my car, sure helps when paying insurance, less than a quarter of what my old truck costs a year.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: