Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2018 :  9:40:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]

[/URL]

[/URL]

I thought I'd start a post on another project that has been in the works for 15+ years. Some of you long-timers may recognize it, as you helped me early on with some of my initial posts. I purchased this 1967 with a BBC and a bunch of ugly in the interior as well. This is my main 2018 project moving forward and will be posting old shots all the way to current. As of today, 3/26/2018, she now has Pontiac power.

Got Poncho?

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2018 :  9:55:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]

Here she is as of today. Hopefully by Easter, she will have risen as well! I will back track to show how we got to this point.

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2018 :  10:01:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
I bought this car from a bank customer of mine as a repo. I didn't want a BBC powered Bird, but was able to STEAL it. I could hold my nose for a while with the powerplant (though she was a runner, I'll admit), but the interior had to go.

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5468 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2018 :  10:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Holy crap, that interior!
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2018 :  10:08:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
She sat at a local garage for 3+ years waiting to be re-wired, when my then 12 year old son Benjamin asked where she was at and could we start working on her. That was all the motivation I needed. My car hobbies had been on hold for 12 years with the birth of Benjamin, and then Daniel, so lets get this party started.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2018 :  10:13:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This baby was total 1973 retro vibe, like a real like Hot Wheel. Rear fender flares, speedboat heavy metalflake paint, crushed velour interior. Will keep the exterior as-is for a while, gradually changing as I go. First up was a stock black interior
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2018 :  10:17:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
With the interior in and minor mechanical tweaks, she was deemed roadworthy and thought we'd take her to some shows- this was the first one.
[/URL]

And Benjamin's first award-!
[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 26 Mar 2018 :  10:18:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cortcomp

Holy crap, that interior!

I know right? Was that ever is style?!?

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2018 :  10:27:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, as luck would have it, that 454 apparently wasn't put together correctly and though she didn't blow up, it was no longer drivable. Also determined the front end was a mess, needing new control arms, bushings and the like. Not really wanting to take on that project just then, I took baby steps. I purchased a 1978 400 XX short block to build up, and a separate subframe (actually 20). My thought was I could build it complete without tearing the car apart and having to remember how it went back together- knowing the time lulls that life seems to bring.
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

This frame was usable but needed more work than we wanted at that time, so we were able to find a disc brake one

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2018 :  10:30:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
More disassembly, more fun. The extra parts did come in handy-
[/URL]

[/URL]
Began work on the 400 too

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3518 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2018 :  10:49:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Subscribe !

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1724 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2018 :  3:14:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Great to see a Pontiac engine back. Going to be beautiful when you are done.

Only thing that hurts it is that old Colts shirt....Sorry, couldn't resist.

Keep the pics coming - love them.
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1359 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2018 :  4:22:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Awesome car! Love it, and great work

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2018 :  7:55:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
[/URL]
Little "DuPont" overhaul- 6X-8 heads with a Summit 2801 Cam
On it's way to break in and Dyno-
[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2018 :  8:01:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Subframe 2- disc brake from early Nova
[/URL]
[/URL]
back to the sub-frame- stripped down, cleaned and painted=-
[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2018 :  8:05:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
skipping ahead- more re-assembly
[/URL]
not sure if I recommend this method, but worked great for me to install springs in a frame with no engine-

[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2018 :  8:12:54 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Brian R

Great to see a Pontiac engine back. Going to be beautiful when you are done.

Only thing that hurts it is that old Colts shirt....Sorry, couldn't resist.

Keep the pics coming - love them.

Thanks Brian- He used to be a Dolphins fan like his old man and younger brother, but then Madden Football introduced him to Payton Manning..

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 27 Mar 2018 :  8:13:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rkellerjr

Awesome car! Love it, and great work

Thank you sir-!

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 28 Mar 2018 :  10:05:52 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
Little out of order, but had the clearances double checked on the short block- all good!

[/URL]
had it test run-plenty of oil pressure and compression

[/URL]
Old school on the valve covers. We always called these "Mel Tillis" covers. May he rest in peace!

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  9:35:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
Test fitting in the subframe
[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  9:56:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
Probably had this in and out 10 times..

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5468 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  10:00:39 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Looking sharp!
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  10:01:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
Preping for Rat removal- this is December 2017
[/URL]

[/URL]

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  10:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]

The point of no return-!

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 01 Apr 2018 :  10:08:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
BBC is BIG
[/URL]
If you don't have a set of these, get some- I have been able to remove sooo many rounded bolts

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  9:12:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
[/URL]
[/URL]
Benjamin riding the rat-18years old, senior in high school. Where does the time go? Did I mention my project got put back on the front burner because Benjamin wants to take this car to prom!

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  9:18:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
During the "down time" we swapped out the bumper and grills- not new but a definite upgrade

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  9:24:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
So like those reality car shows, I've taken you 5+ years in like 20 posts. This was Monday 3/26/2018- Spring break vacation (not mamma's choice..)
Subframe loose and ready to pull
[/URL]
My best friend for years stopped by with his son and helped- 4 sets of hands, eyes, and muscle made this almost as easy as the youtube video..
Replaced the brake booster- master cylinder to wait for new subframe and to be bench bled

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  9:30:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
Still Monday morning- rebuilt subframe with Pontiac 400 and TH350 rolled into position
[/URL]
Some jockying back and forth, in and out, up and down- she made it in. New polyurethane frame mounts, bolts
[/URL]
She is in and loosely bolted- did the final measurements the following morning-all checked out! (we hope)

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 02 Apr 2018 :  9:45:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
Dropped tank and cleaned out- 5 year old fuel but no gumming- must have stabilized the heck out of it
[/URL]
[/URL]
WOuld you believe it took us longer to replace the u-joints on the driveshaft than replace a subframe?! If you've never replaced the stock u-joints, you have to melt out the old. Comes out like silly string, but wear gloves and eye protection!

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

js292
Sitting Bull

USA
171 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2018 :  1:02:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Always like seeing father and son projects, nice job.

71 Formula 455
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5288 Posts

Posted - 04 Apr 2018 :  3:41:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Getting our cars to where we really want them takes lots of time, energy, some busted knuckles, bruises, cuts, and of course money. Working with your son--priceless experience--for the both of you. In the long run, it will be very memorable. Enjoy each and every moment.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2018 :  7:52:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]

[/URL]
The weld nut on the passenger fender was no longer welded, so we re-welded it

[/URL]

Front clip re-installation

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2018 :  7:56:42 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
The aftermarket aluminum radiator had a different size lower outlet that the Pontiac water pump. I guess they make radiator hoses that have 2 different size ends, but I engineered a fix that seems to be working. The picture before this one you can see the upper radiator hose needed trimming to fit under the hood. I took a 2" or so "sleeve" into the lower larger radiator hose as an adaptor- so leaks so far!

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2018 :  8:00:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
[/URL]
Bench bleeding a master cylinder? Get one of these! It is easy and works fantastic. Youtube has a video on using it. I'd add it to this post but not sure if we can post a link? Here's my best effort!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHLi4tyFcJo

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2018 :  8:04:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
I told Benjamin- us older folks actually like to lay ON the mat..
Definitely gonna need some touch up paint!

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2018 :  8:06:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
This is what a 4-stall garage looks like when a project is going on. I can't wait to get 3 cars back in here.

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2018 :  8:10:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
So I about have you up to date- this is from this weekend (4/13/2018). Bumper fitment is off, but much closer. I have to have this car ready for senior prom by 4/28, and I'm out of the country the 20-26th! I feel like a reality car show..

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2018 :  8:19:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
The wiring harness was new, so we got to plugging things back in. My number one son did NOT mark the electrical as well as he should have and the "before" pictures are gone. I think most of us have to learn this lesson first hand at some point- but should not have to learn it twice!
Benjamin put the "stock" exhaust back on-long tube headers, 2.5" pipes, mufflers and turn downs before the rear axle. We will upgrade, but not before prom. After hearing it open header, we were excited to see what see sounded like with exhaust. It sucked! Mufflers are off, and cherry bombs will be here MOnday! Hopefully that will give us at least a temporary roar. Benjamin wants 3" with cut outs and glass-packs- and I'm totally on board (tho Mrs Asher is not! lol)

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2018 :  8:27:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
So now you're caught up. I adjusted the clevis on the rod to the brake pedal because I was out of adjustment on my brake light switch. Using this cool pair of $20 JEGS safety glasses that have a built in flash light (get some!). I have tail lights, brake lights, and high beams across the 4 headlights, but I hit the dimmer and loose the front lights all together. The dimmer switch was newer a few years ago, so we'll swap that out tomorrow and see where we are. Being that they all light up on high kinda makes me think the grounding is good-? I hate electrical.. Kinda got that Christine look going on here!

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 14 Apr 2018 :  8:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sunday is swap out the dimmer and add the front valance. Monday the call is made for the shop to pick her up for front end alignment. Hopefully early because I'd like to have her back before I leave on Saturday to get a "shake down" run. Not sure prom is the place for that. And for the record, I firmly believe that the '67 is Benjamin's true date, the chick is just "because"-! Chip off the old block..

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3518 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2018 :  11:38:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The bbc has value and could fund another project. Or pic up a Chevy body and install.

I've fumbled and bumbled around with u-joints for decades. My latest method is to use the tourch cutting tip and cut thru the cross trunnion till it hits the floor, then tap the caps out with a large drift.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 15 Apr 2018 11:41:21 AM
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2018 :  8:48:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blued and Painted

The bbc has value and could fund another project. Or pic up a Chevy body and install.

I've fumbled and bumbled around with u-joints for decades. My latest method is to use the tourch cutting tip and cut thru the cross trunnion till it hits the floor, then tap the caps out with a large drift.

I do have a taker for the 454- swapping out body work on one of my projects yet to be determined. If it didn't need mechanical work, I'd consider dropping it in my 68 camaro (which is trading stock for another Bird!)

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 15 Apr 2018 :  9:03:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, we swapped out the dimmer switch to see if that would allow our dim lights to turn on- no luck. I left the headlights on dim (so no light) and started jiggling wires. Got to the firewall where the harness plugs in and found the loose connection. Installed the front valance and turn signals- all worked! Had to adjust the push rod from the master cylinder to gain adjustment on the brake light switch- all fixed as well! Everything we touched was fixed! Not wanting to stop, we went to my Dad's to pick up the hood (fiberglass) and could NOT get it to fit! Took it back off to try another day. Tomorrow (Monday 4/16) will schedule pick up for front end alignment.

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2018 :  11:17:29 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
The headlight issue ended up being a loose connection at the firewall to fuse block. Moved on- could not get the hood to fit. Car was going to alignment the next day- crisis, but not. Could go without hood, just didn't want to. Ended up loosing core support bolts to subframe and shifted enough to fit. Still not right, but close enough for now- time is ticking!

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2018 :  11:21:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
First light of day she's seen in 5+ years. Waiting for the truck to take her to alignment
[/URL]
[/URL]
Off she goes on rollers on the front- pitman arm still not attached (totally)

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2018 :  11:25:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
Back from alignment- I have a week before leaving the country for a week. When I return I have 1.5 days until prom..plus track meets, lacrosse games, ect..
Adjusted carb to keep running-had to order longer glass packs for Benjamin to install while I'm gone-plus a laundry list of miscellaneous stuff. Wires to tuck, etc- back burner stuff for now

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2018 :  11:30:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benjamin installed exhaust, bled power steering pump, had new tires mounted on rims, and even took it on a quick test spin- but didn't wash! Kids. I get home and take a look Friday 4/27. Add some chrome, put the shifter back together and go for a spin to add gas and WASH! Looking better, but shifter needs more adjustment and no electric fan
[/URL]
This is outside the carwash- she's loud and proud, but not cooling

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2018 :  11:33:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Today (4/28/2018) D-Day. Got fan figured out, added more gas. Interior needs cleaned up- assigned to Benjamin as I went to his brother Daniel's Lacrosse games
[/URL]
Alot of work and re-work to do, but..

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Cowpatty69
Cochise

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 28 Apr 2018 :  11:38:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[/URL]
[/URL]
For tonight, MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! As of this post, 10:30CST, still waiting for his return (as he changes his clothes and goes back out with the truck), but no texts or calls with issues. No real shakedown cruise, so keep your fingers crossed-

Got Poncho?
Go to Top of Page

Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1724 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2018 :  12:55:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Looking great - congrats!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic