Pontiac Performance
 Blocks / Cranks/ Rods and Pistons
 removing piston sharp edges
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

359 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2018 :  6:52:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I know you are supposed to remove new piston sharp edges. My question is what do I use to remove the edges? I have Speed Pro 2359s.

sandpaper? what grit?

scotch brite pads?

something else?

5391 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2018 :  6:59:41 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I read i think scotchbright pads in jim hands book iirc. I wouldn't be afraid to use like 400 or 600 grit sandpaper as far as texture, but you'd have to crazy clean them, i can only imagine the sand wants to stick to the light oil on them and that's disastrous. Maybe emery cloth instead?
Go to Top of Page

Sitting Bull

153 Posts

Posted - 25 Feb 2018 :  7:23:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit Lee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Try to do it BEFORE the pistons are attached to the connecting rods. That way it is easier to get them totally clean.

When that hasn't been an option, I've used masking tape to totally tape off the ring lands, and then put the connecting rod/lower piston in a plastic bag and sealed that to the piston with more masking tape.

A dremel/die grinder with a small stone is usually what I start with. But using 320-grit sandpaper would be safer if you've never done work like this before. I use a stone, then 320, then 600 grit. Most of the time I'll sand blast after that, then apply a thermal barrier coating - overkill for most applications.

CURRENT: '73 T/A clone, starting to get less boring!...
67 Firebird (sold) 11.27 @ 119.6 Feb. '05 issue HPP
69 Falcon wagon, 10.51 @ 130mph Feb. '10 issue PHR (sold)
72 Cutlass Convertible, first car, owned since '82, now with a 6.0 LS, mild, putting just under 400 hp/tq to the wheels.
Go to Top of Page

359 Posts

Posted - 26 Feb 2018 :  1:31:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the replies. I will check Jim Hand's book and see what he says.
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: