For Strip Action Only
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  09:26:42 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
We all run with air cleaners in place on the street. Some of us have open shaker scoops, some closed. Some of us still run the stock set up with air being fed from the driver's side of the car up through the tube through the snorkel. While the air cleaner is 100% necessary on the street because that's where we drive, strip action is different. If you're making a few passes at the strip, eliminating the air cleaner will produce a few more pounds of torque and that will increase hp production. It's possible improve your ET and trap speed with this small change. However, once you're ready to get back on the road, get that air cleaner back in place.

Also , a velocity stack is a great way to direct air into the throats of our carbs. So, while the TAs look cool and normal with the shaker scoop in place; try eliminating it and replacing it with a velocity stack for a few passes at the strip. You may be surprised on the performance over and above running without any air cleaner in place with the shaker and base in place. Again, when done, put the air cleaner and scoop back in place.

Something to think about.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3505 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  11:05:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Run what u brung.
If you have spent many hours dialing in your street car carb, a change at the track in some cases, could be counter productive.
When bracket racing, half a tenth won't make a difference In a win or loss. Running dead on your dial-in run after run is of most importance.

But certainly try what ever brain storm you may have on test and tune night.

IMO, a clean air cleaner or K&N should be fine for street cars at the strip.

It will be good to here other opinions on the topic.

Was always fun to watch the racers in the staging lanes run to cover up there carbs when the jet cars were fired up.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 12 Jan 2018 11:07:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Chief PONTIAC

1866 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  12:22:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Related, Finding 14 hp in the Right Air Cleaner Assembly....

At a "truck motor" 5000 rpm the difference between no air cleaner and the best set up was 5 hp.

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/air-cleaner-assembly/

Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Chief PONTIAC

1866 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  12:27:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One opinion....

Back in the day, if you wandered over to the NHRA Pro Stock Truck pits between rounds you'd find something pretty interesting. Nine times out of ten, those race trucks used some form of filter element in their air intake system. They were there to filter out dirt and dust, of course. But more critically, those filters were being used to straighten and diffuse the air before it entered the carburetors. The air cleaner elements weren't hurting performance, they were improving it. And an air cleaner can do the same thing for your high performance street or race car.

"A couple of years back, we CHASSIS dynoed a 358-inch SB2.2. Removing the 4"x16" K&N brought it up from 700 HP to 701..."

Edited by - Steve C. on 12 Jan 2018 12:43:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  12:43:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
A consistent ET dialed in with a near perfect reaction time wins races.

Using a velocity stack may improve torque and hp above that of using no air cleaner, or a high flow air cleaner assembly.

Remember the Gasers that ran Hilborn Injection?

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  1:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My 79 TA runs the stock base and top plus the shaker scoop. The snorkel is closed off as the back of the scoop is open. For years now, the car has sported a K&N filter. I've also used WIX and Fram. I choose the K&N filter because it could be cleaned and because K&N claimed it would flow very well. Sounded good. It has done it's job for me and I have no complaint with it; but had no complaint over the other air cleaners used previously. They all seemed to do the job.

Lets get in the time machine and go back to 1968. My friends and I were campaigning a 57 Chevrolet wagon with a bored out 283, dual WCFB carbs sitting atop a Chevrolet intake manifold. We ran solid lifters with the Duntov 30-30 camshaft. We had two small chromed air cleaners in place. There wasn't much available back then. We did many passes with these air cleaners in place and several the same day with them off. The car ran faster without the restricted air flow from those two separate units. This was a car that ran stock class and it ran 14.40s back them on skinny cheater slicks. I shifted the car at 6000 rpm. It was probably developing 275 to 300 hp, not much more than that. The NHRA record for the class we ran was 13.90 as I recall, so our drag racer ran good but was not near any record.

We ran the Chevy during races with windows up and air cleaners in place. The difference between the performance with or without was marginal but it did exist.

----
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Chief PONTIAC

1866 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  4:12:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Into the time machine.....

I remember Hilborn injectors and velocity stacks. Inspiration, about 55 years ago on my Volkswagon I put a used orange juice can on top of the carburetor. My' velocity' stack looked cool. Drove it 50 miles to Fontana Drag strip and won a trophy in the "BUG" class !

Fast forward...

VOLKSWAGEN BUGS DRAG RACING IN FONTANA:

https://www.autoclubspeedway.com/Articles/2016/10/BugIn-at-Auto-Club-Dragway.aspx

Notice the velocity stacks :)

Edited by - Steve C. on 12 Jan 2018 4:47:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle

USA
5092 Posts

Posted - 12 Jan 2018 :  5:25:54 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Steve, thanks for joining me in the time machine.

----
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: