New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2017 :  12:39:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does anyone know if they make a head gasket which is specific to the bore of a .030 over 428? My block had a poor factory weld right at the ring seal area of a felpro head gasket which I was going to use. My machinist said it would be a better scenario if the made a head gasket just slightly larger than the bore. The standard felpro are quite a bit bigger than the bore which exposes more of the welded area. The machinist said he typically takes care of such spots with adding a little metal in the pits with a tig then resurface. I would also mention the block had been zero decked which exposed our problem. With the repair he said were looking at having the pistons out of the hole 5 thou. Any opinions or input would be greatly appreciated. If I get opinions saying this is a bad scenario I would take it very seriously and maybe abandon this build. I?m nervous and would be grateful for any input. Thanks ahead of time. Btw the rods are 5140 and pistons are the older speed pro uncoated skirts. Heads flow 250 at 500. Was going to try for a solid street motor.

tjs44
Cochise

USA
430 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2017 :  10:28:04 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like the Butler gaskets.They a valve angle specific instead of generic like the felpros.Tom
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3432 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2017 :  10:53:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've used the butler gaskets with no issues. .044 thickness after torqued IIRC. They do require a re-torque after a couple heat cycles IMO. Felpro has a good reputation and measures .039 torqued thickness.
Being that scolops are cut at the top of the bore for relief on many blocks, head gaskets are designed to cover these applications.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 18 Dec 2017 10:57:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Merrik66
Cochise

USA
380 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2017 :  12:00:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok I?ll call butler, thanks for info.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic