Quench Distance
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mkpontiac
Two Feathers

55 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  10:46:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My understanding is that Optimal quench distance is between 0.035" and 0.045.

My pistons are 1.70 from the pin to the top of the piston since stock was 1.72 that would put me 0.020" further in the hole. Stock pistons on average are about 0.020" in the hole. My head gasket is 0.039". This would make my current quench about 0.079".

Is there any benefit to using a 0.021" copper head gasket which would put me at about 0.061" to improve quench, reduce heat and detonation? Or does being out of the ideal range mean there is no benefit?

I am not prepared to change pistons. I am just looking for a way to improve current operation and would be willing to change the gaskets.

Mark

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3432 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2017 :  10:36:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Do the copper gaskets require any particiular finish on block and heads for optimum sealing.
If so, I would have the block decks squared up. Only enough to true the surfaces.
Are u using the jobber 8 eyebrow cast Pistons with the big bevel on the top edge. If so, detonation and spark knock could be an issue even if quench is optimum.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

mkpontiac
Two Feathers

55 Posts

Posted - 18 Dec 2017 :  10:33:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, they are the 8 eyebrow cast Pistons. I was hoping to avoid full disassembly and piston replacement but it looks like if I want to solve the problem that will be what is required.
Thanks,
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: