New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

VA-23707
Tribal Scout

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2017 :  08:55:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As my project, '67 resto-mod LeMans, moves forward, I am looking at engine accessories; primarily the pulleys and front of the engine stuff. Water pump and front of engine is based on 1969 and up. The car is a factory non-AC car, and has power steering. I will be adding in an AC unit, most likely from Vintage Air. So, has anyone changed their set-up to a serpentine system? Is there a reason to stay with the typical V-belts?

Rich Senn

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5407 Posts

Posted - 12 Dec 2017 :  9:03:12 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Reason to stay V is cheapness. Serpentine's cost a pretty penny.
Go to Top of Page

VA-23707
Tribal Scout

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2017 :  6:34:35 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cortcomp, yeah, it is a pretty penny for the whole set-up, but I'm gonna have to buy all the parts for either the V-belt or serpintine, as I am starting this from scratch for the new engine. If there is a definitive reason to go one way or the other I'd rather get it done now; if it is about the same as far as how it performs I'll let price have a higher deciding point. I really figure if it wasn't broken, why did all of the manufacturers switch over?

Rich Senn
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5407 Posts

Posted - 13 Dec 2017 :  10:17:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
You can generally find a complete junker motor for cheap and grab all its brackets, clean them up, and use them. I find serpentine accessories quieter, but maybe that's just because they're a newer design? I find parts store alternators and power steering pumps for v belts noisier than serpentine ones, but then again v belt ones have been rebuilt 18 times.

Most people think i'm crazy, the noises i hear and am chasing. Most people couldn't tell the difference between the two listening.

I'd assume serpentine better at higher rpms?
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3143 Posts

Posted - 15 Dec 2017 :  09:09:17 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Serpentine exists to save space. Period. End. Stop. It offers no advantage over V-belts.

Go to Top of Page

Matt H
Cochise

USA
323 Posts

Posted - 17 Dec 2017 :  12:02:20 AM  Show Profile  Visit Matt H's Homepage  Reply with Quote
My Pontiac engine had a March serpentine pulley system on it when I got it. It was constantly throwing the belt. The belt was 28 bucks. I went through 4 in 6 months. I tried everything to get the pulleys straight and lined up. Straight edge and all. It looked straight. Even took it to a good friend to see what he could do with it. Could not figure out why it was throwing the belt. I was done with this junk. A 1300 $ March pulley system. I never would have spent that kind of money on that kind of system. I located some factory pulleys on eBay and brackets. Put it all back on. The factory system with v-belts are flawless. Not one issue at all.

Matt
1981 Pontiac TA Pace Car
461 with 6x8 stock iron heads. 3.08 gears
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: