New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

67blkbrd
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  2:51:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Time for a new build. The last engine served me for almost 9 years with little trouble ran high 10.30's to mid 10.40's at 128-131 on 92 octane depending on typical factors, ran mid 9.40's at 146-149 with a little nitrous help. This was a Kauffman D port 467 with a solid roller in a 3700# 67 Firbird, TH400 4300 stall converter, 3.70 gear on 275/60/15 DR. Long story short I blew out a lifter bore, yes, I was running a bore brace.

The new build will be based off of a 4.5" stroke aluminum IA II, Other than that the slate is blank. I'm looking for head recommendations from people that have or are running the heads they are recommending. I would like my new build to run as strong or stronger N/A as my old build could nitrous assisted. I would like to keep it a pump gas build but im not as dead set on it as I was with the last build. I will run nitrous on this engine too. The only racing I do these days are heads up, grudge and a little index racing. I have been following the progress with the aluminum versions of the RA V heads and the Tiger heads.

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5354 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  7:13:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've not run anything that sexy, but i did see a video of a single carb, NA RAV headed engine putting out like 1200HP. I'll go see if i can find it.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5354 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  7:20:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Here is is, 609 with RAV heads with a lot of work, single carb, supposedly 1200hp. I mean, if it was streetable and i got 900 that'd be ok too?!

http://www.hotrod.com/articles/609ci-pontiac-ram-air-v-chief-stomp-em/

I would love to win the lottery, build a streetable 1000 hp pr street a body with custom chassis, suspention, everything. cette wide tires, giant brakes, computer controlled. just something to toy with the hellcats.
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  7:41:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
No way a head with the push rod thru the port is going to compete with one without.Wide port E heads or Tigers and then the Hi ports.The 1200 Hp "V" head did not have the push rod thru the port.There had been huge money spent to make that happen along with the one off intake,also was over 600 CI.There are other heads like the Warp 6 that has made more HP per CI N/A than any other pontiac head at this time.Pickett made just under 2.4 HP per ci with their N/A 428 engine.Have a friend building a short deck Alu block W6 engine as we speak.
Go to Top of Page

67blkbrd
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  7:49:53 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
That's pretty cool, also pretty far out of reach for me but always good to see the high end of a product/ designs ability.
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
422 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  8:09:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well how are you going to cam it and chose CR?Setup for the juice and then run N/A or set it up for N/A and then spray it?When you get to that HP level N/A bad things can happen if you lean one out on the spray.Tom
Go to Top of Page

67blkbrd
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  8:21:58 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cam depends on the heads and compression when that's decided. Bad things happen when you lean out on nitrous or any power adder at any level, they just happen faster with more collateral damage at the higher end of the food chain. I know enough about running nitrous that I haven't damaged an engine with it in over 30 years. The engine mentioned above has been in the car since 2009 with many 100's of pounds of nitrous run through it, on pump gas.
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1691 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  9:12:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it helps, our combination....

I helped sponsor our Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE

IA2 block
4.315 bore x 4.500 stroke
6.7 alum rods
526 cid
13.2 compression
HP heads / 403 cfm @ .800"
2.200" intake valves
UltraDyne solid roller / 50mm core
314 adv
285 @ .050"
.5000" lobe lift / 1.7 rocker ratio
114 Lobe seperation
( cam set up for nitrous - intake specs only indicated )
2-1/4 / 2-3/8 stepped headers
Victor intake / HP8896 Dominator carb

920 hp at 7000 rpm (NA)

Specs shown are when we built the engine years ago in 2007. There have been changes since then.

Edited by - Steve C. on 03 Dec 2017 9:18:52 PM
Go to Top of Page

67blkbrd
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  10:37:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you Steve, that is above and beyond what I was hoping for.
Go to Top of Page

67blkbrd
Tribal Scout

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 03 Dec 2017 :  10:52:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tjs44

No way a head with the push rod thru the port is going to compete with one without.Wide port E heads or Tigers and then the Hi ports.The 1200 Hp "V" head did not have the push rod thru the port.There had been huge money spent to make that happen along with the one off intake,also was over 600 CI.There are other heads like the Warp 6 that has made more HP per CI N/A than any other pontiac head at this time.Pickett made just under 2.4 HP per ci with their N/A 428 engine.Have a friend building a short deck Alu block W6 engine as we speak.

I looked at the W6 heads but those are way out of my budget. The RA V heads are a little closer but I don't see the value in going that route when there are 2-3 traditional style heads out there that can get the job done for what I'm wanting, KRE HP, Tigers and Butler or SD E heads
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1691 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2017 :  08:56:58 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For interest and a bit of entertainment use these calculators...

CFM Flow Calculator for CID/RPM
Flow at RPM Calculator
Max RPM at Flow Calculator

Those and others here:

http://www.wallaceracing.com/Calculators.htm

I might mention that in late 2005 I purchased raw unported cylinder head castings and we had them done here in Texas. They were done by Rick McConathy who is well noted for work with Texas Pro Stock engines and at the time worked with Naiser Racing Components in Houston. He had never seen a set of these Pontiac heads before and he just treated them as he would his race Small Block Chevy heads. Back then 10+ years ago our flow numbers were very good, but with today's heads out there they are certainly nothing exceptional. With these, and the other makes you mentioned, given this type of race head involved they are the norm. Now with this all said I might note that by using the calculators above they will indicate you may not need as much CFM airflow as you might expect to accomplish your goal.

Also I did not mention any numbers for the exhaust lobe on the cam. If designed with nitrous use the amount of additional exhaust duration (and lobe separation) will be different than without. That and much will depend on the cylinder head exhaust ports in use and the exhaust-to-intake flow ratio thru the lift entire curve should be evaluated and a custom cam ground. Personally we use Bullet Racing Cams and get a custom cam suited for the specific combination.

http://www.bulletcams.com/

Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3415 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2017 :  10:47:09 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A common acronym at another sight.
EHTTFMF
That's Edelbrock Heads to the front, expletive.

Although I have never owned a set.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 04 Dec 2017 10:55:32 AM
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1691 Posts

Posted - 04 Dec 2017 :  11:37:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It doesn't always take a ton of airflow to make power. On a previous combination my 72cc Edelbrock heads that were 329 cfm, with a 234cc intake runner volume and 2.150" intake valve supported 700 hp at 6900/7000 rpm. This was 16 years ago with a 4.125" stroke 450 CID combo.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: