68 Trans AM?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Red Horse
Sitting Bull

202 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  02:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw a 68 Firebird auctioned off at Barrett Jackson as a Trans AM. I always thought 69 was the first year for Trans AM. All information I have says 69. Am I missing something?
Just found it on the auction list as a 68 recreation. Went for over 40 thou.

Edited by - Red Horse on 21 Oct 2017 03:21:33 AM

tjs44
Cochise

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  09:58:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You found out BJ is full of crap!Tom
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4793 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  11:42:02 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I saw/heard one commentator on BJ in the past reference a Firebird with a small block 400. It got my attention thinking somebody swapped in a 400 Chevy SB? Wrong! It was a Pontiac.

Once at MIR the local announcer made reference to my car as the dark blue Camaro. My fault entirely for having no decals to show it wasn't a Camaro. Commentators are often uninformed and or sloppy in what they say to their audience. Some things can be overlooked, but calling a 68 Firebird a 68 Trans Am is really, really sloppy.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.

Edited by - Bill Boyle on 21 Oct 2017 11:43:06 AM
Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Sitting Bull

202 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  2:56:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thinking about it how could you recreate something that didn't exist? What got me was the two MC's kept calling it a Trans AM. You would think the buyer would be very angry when he finds out what he bought isn't what he thought he bought. I take great pains to tell people my 69 is a Firebird with Trans AM paint and Emblems.
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1672 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  5:44:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Lot #368 1968 PONTIAC FIREBIRD TRANS-AM RE-CREATION

https://www.barrett-jackson.com/Events/Event/Details/1968-PONTIAC-FIREBIRD-TRANS-AM-RE-CREATION-210295

Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Sitting Bull

202 Posts

Posted - 21 Oct 2017 :  8:26:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thats the one it is a nice looking car. Since it says in the description its a recreation someone may have just been looking for a nice ride.

Edited by - Red Horse on 21 Oct 2017 10:07:35 PM
Go to Top of Page

loosetappet
Sitting Bull

113 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2017 :  11:24:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Red Horse

Thinking about it how could you recreate something that didn't exist? What got me was the two MC's kept calling it a Trans AM. You would think the buyer would be very angry when he finds out what he bought isn't what he thought he bought. I take great pains to tell people my 69 is a Firebird with Trans AM paint and Emblems.

I agree. Isn't it more properly called a "tribute" car? "Re-creation" supposes that there is, somewhere, a real 68 Trans Am that is being "re-created".
Is that splitting too many hairs? LOL
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7214 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2017 :  09:26:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I agree with you guys. A "recreation" by definition would require prior existence. I can't even watch Parrot Hack-son or even Meek-ham anymore. Might as well call it Vette/Mustang/Camaro Auction highlights. Apparently there's so many, much more interesting cars being sold that never make it on screen.

To be fair, I don't expect live announcers to be "script accurate" but some of the flubs and stumbles belong at the Friday night cruise at the In & Out Burger.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: