New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

cooldude48818
Tribal Scout

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 18 Oct 2017 :  9:00:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've been doing some searching and can't find the info I'm looking for so here I am. I have a bone stock 400 Pontiac engine. I have the heads off getting cleaned up and new stem seals and exhaust manifold bolts fixed. I would like to put a little better cam in it but I'd like to use the stock springs and push rods and such. What would be a good cam to do that with and retain all stock parts? Any and all help would be appreciated!

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2017 :  10:58:41 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm no cam expert, but i feel like we're going to see recommendations for the summit 2801 an 2802 here?
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3406 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2017 :  11:09:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Old springs will not controll the valve action at the mid and hi RPM range.
Clearance must be checked between spring retainer and the top of valve guide at full lift to insure no interference with any cam over stock speck.

Here's a few cams u can investigate
Melling torquer 26204
Summit 2801
Crower 60918
Pontiac Factory cam 068

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 19 Oct 2017 11:12:29 AM
Go to Top of Page

Steve C.
Crazy Horse

1675 Posts

Posted - 19 Oct 2017 :  12:03:30 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't cheap out on valve springs !

Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2017 :  06:41:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a similar build with my 400 and used the Comp Cam XE262H instead of the summit cams. I retained all stock components except for the rockers, I went with roller tip rockers.

I should mention, all brand new parts except the springs. However, we did test all springs before putting them back on to make sure they were good.

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY

Edited by - rkellerjr on 20 Oct 2017 06:42:27 AM
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7218 Posts

Posted - 20 Oct 2017 :  08:09:05 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
First off, what year and head code is the 400? I know you said it is bone stock, but has it been rebuilt at some point or all original?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

cooldude48818
Tribal Scout

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2017 :  02:09:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry guys. Haven't been near the computer lately. The heads are 4x with a 4h code. the car has 50k original miles on it. I found a cam but upon pulling old cam out I found a bad cam bearing so I ended up pulling the engine out and trying to replace the bearings but am having a terrible time with this simple process! I have the tool but for some odd reason when I install the bearing, the cam won't go into it. Do these require filing a bit to make them fit? I am working on the rear bearing on the transmission end of the block.

Chris L
Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Sitting Bull

204 Posts

Posted - 22 Oct 2017 :  5:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You shouldn't have to file anything. Not a good idea to try and change dimensions with a file.. measure the cam bearing surface on the cam.Measure the bearing ID. Since you have it out I would change all the cam bearings. Measure all the mating surfaces. Could be the bearing surfaces were ground wrong on the cam.
Check to see you didn't nick the bearing when you in stalled it. Emory cloth to clean up a nick would be ok. I wouldn't use a file.
I would use new valve springs. Or at least test the old ones, as previously mentioned.

Edited by - Red Horse on 22 Oct 2017 5:05:18 PM
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7218 Posts

Posted - 23 Oct 2017 :  09:32:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So you're replacing the rear bearing only? What brand/type are you using?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

cooldude48818
Tribal Scout

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 24 Oct 2017 :  10:34:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sent the block to the engine shop yesterday and it got all new cam bearings and welch plugs. Should be a happy little motor once its back together! As for testing the springs, when the machine shop had the heads they said that everything looked great and they installed new valve seals and lightly lapped in the valves. The guy said the springs look great and wouldn't worry about them. He also get me the next step up from stock cam and the book said that all old parts would work no problem so I'm hoping he's right! Next thing to do it install the oil pan gasket and oil pan. I like cork gaskets but would like to hear others responses. Do I use sealant on the gasket? If yes what side or both? Thinking about using this gasket(OS30191C2).

Chris L
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 25 Oct 2017 :  10:48:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Follow the directions on the gasket. FWIW i like the 1 piece oil pan gasket, i think butler has them, no sealant? I love that style gasket: no sealant, and snug down until you hit the spacers in them.

I've used cork and the rubber feeling oil pan gaskets without issue on different motors, everyone has a different personal preference.
Go to Top of Page

Rearwheelmaniac
Tribal Scout

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 13 Nov 2017 :  10:25:03 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Curious what cam you ended up going with...

Edited by - Rearwheelmaniac on 14 Nov 2017 10:39:48 AM
Go to Top of Page

cooldude48818
Tribal Scout

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 19 Nov 2017 :  07:51:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ended up going with a 1 step up from stock cam. My engine guy got it for me. Didn't have to change a thing. Runs fantastic!

Chris L
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: