New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

BDH79TA
Tribal Scout

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2017 :  12:48:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So here's a beat to death question I'm sure. I'd like an opinion on head selection for this 428. A couple of things up front. This is a street car. I'm not looking to own the fastest car in the state. I DO NOT have unlimited funds. This means KREs and E-heads are out for now. I will do any port or chamber work myself. I'm looking to stay between 9 and 9.5 to 1 static. I've got flat tops with 6cc valve reliefs. Pistons are currently in the hole .015, but I can still have this milled if needed for quench. Current configuration means I need around an 85 to 88 cc chamber. Here's the heads I have available to work with or can attain easily. 670s that are rebuilt. #13 rebuilt. #62 that need rebuilt and 6X-4s that need rebuilt. So my question. Is it possible to work the chambers of the 670, 13 or 62 and get to my targeted 85 cc? Would it be better to mill the 6X-4s and smooth the chambers? Remember, I'm not looking for hog wild here. A set of aluminum heads are being considered down the road. This is to get the engine up and running, develop some decent power, run on 93 octane and be reliable. Current cam is an 068 cam, power brakes and auto trans. No high stall converter yet. The end goal is either a 4 speed (preferred) or higher stall converter and something in the lines of the 744 cam. Or a close updated version. That's about as wild as I ever plan to build this engine. Thanks in advance for any opinions or advice.

'79 428 T/A

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4750 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2017 :  3:09:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'd look at the 62 heads. The heads need to be cc'd to learn the exact chamber size. Once that is known, mods can be made to the head that will increase the chamber by several CCs. 62 heads came on 428 engines back in 68-69. You can CC the heads yourself.

I'm running these heads on my .030+ 400. Running 93 octane gas at 9.6 or so static compression.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

BDH79TA
Tribal Scout

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 10 Oct 2017 :  3:48:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the reply. I've got the stuff to cc the heads. I've already cc'd the 670s. I was also looking at the 62 heads since this is a 69 428 and that would have been the correct head. I just wasn't sure if I could safely remove enough material to get to the low to mid 80 cc volume. I dont own the set of 62 heads so I don't have cc info, but they are available to buy close to home. I know I can use dished pistons, but that seems counterproductive for the quench factor. I also realize that a larger cam will bleed off some of the compression, but that would involve a high stall converter, lower rear gears and a myriad of other "improvements" to make it work. I love the sound of a radical cam as much as anyone else but I'm willing to sacrifice that for good street manners.

'79 428 T/A
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: