68 firebird solar red color question
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ponchpowpow
Buffalo

42 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2017 :  12:02:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im set to have my 68 firebird painted and the original color code is solar red,GM code WA3804. other codes are PPG 71634 and Dupont 4948. some websites for those color codes for the 68 year also have the same color codes ie GTO, Tempest and chevy Camaro. the names, however, are different ie matador and scarlet red. despite the different names, is the color essentially the same?

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 29 Sep 2017 :  3:48:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
not speaking directly to this code, but yes, that happens. When i wanted chevy engine orange in single stage, it was the same code as carousel red for GTOs. I believe it was also hugger orange.

On my 56, the crocus yellow is the infamous mayfair maize from late 60's muscle cars like the GTO.

A second reason this happens is that, as paint lines condense and eliminate formulas, lose them over time, etc. You may have two colors that are very close, so one formula for that paint line is now listed for both colors. You wouldn't try and paint half a car with that formula because it's a little off, but doing an all over for both color names with the same formula would be acceptable.

I've also ran into situations where there's no formula for a code in one line but there is in another, same brand. I couldn't get laurel green for my 56 in centari, but it was readily available in nason ful cryl ii. I think both yellow and green were avail no prob in the BC/CC lines.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: