Best head gasket to use?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

deez nuts
Buffalo

67 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  8:32:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Project is a 77 T/A 400 4spd. I built a 461 Stroker and upon my first attempt at starting it we encountered problems. I found water in cyl #6 which leads me to believe it blew a head gasket prior to even starting. We had been cranking it over quite a bit but weren't getting it to start due to some timing and spark issues. I will mention that a lot of my issues were from a defective Accel coil. My fault for buying junk Accel.

Anyway, so obviously I need to tear down and install new head gaskets. Is there a specific brand and part# anyone recommends?

Also I was told by an engine builder that it would be a good idea to install the gaskets wet to prevent this from happening again.

Engine is a 400 bored .035 with an Eagle bottom end. Ported 6x-8 heads for 9.5/1 compression. Cam is a hydraulic flat tappet from Crower. If you need anymore info let me know.

Thanks in advance to everyone on the forum!

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  8:56:26 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had that issue once, leaking in when not even done to be fired yet. 2 things: milled the heads a bit too far, and turned out the block's ends were slightly down; the middle of the block was higher than the ends.
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 21 Sep 2017 :  09:35:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have been using the Butler head gaskets for 20 plus year with no issue.They make them for both the early and late valve angles.READ and follow the directions!Tom
Go to Top of Page

deez nuts
Buffalo

67 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  02:35:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cortcomp

I had that issue once, leaking in when not even done to be fired yet. 2 things: milled the heads a bit too far, and turned out the block's ends were slightly down; the middle of the block was higher than the ends.

crap I hope that's not my problem. When the heads were down they weren't milled really at all because I wanted to be conservative with compression so I could run pump gas.

What is the best way for me to check the deck of the block after pulling the head off? Like all I can really do is lay a ruler across and I don't think that's going to be more accurate than the machine shop
Go to Top of Page

deez nuts
Buffalo

67 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  02:36:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tjs44

I have been using the Butler head gaskets for 20 plus year with no issue.They make them for both the early and late valve angles.READ and follow the directions!Tom

I should have just started with Butler Performance. They always come through.
Thanks
-Ken
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 22 Sep 2017 :  10:03:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I believe you run a machinists straight edge across them and try to sneak feeler gauges under different areas to see what you're working with. It's somewhat rarer to have a block issue than a head issue.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: