New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

phil400
Cochise

Canada
456 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2017 :  9:57:57 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Last April I installed a Summit brand dizzy in my car and all has been well until now. I`ve been having issues it intermittently misses like it`s dropping cylinders and will break up bad at WOT.

It does this with no ryhme or reason hot cold. one day runs fine, next runs like crap.

things I`ve checked are, 12v to dizzy with key in run position, checked pickup coil and ignition coil with multimeter, all check ok.

this was a `ready to run` dizzy while working on it I noticed there was no grease under the 4 pin module, could the heat have damaged it?

Anyone have any other ideas?

78T/A 4-SPEED Marty blue 400/milled 6x-4's/268H,comp roller tip rockers/ performer Q-jet/RA manifolds 2.25" exhaust with x-pipe/ mine since '99 3rd & final owner as long as I'm alive
"sometimes I do what I want to do,rest of the time I do what I have to"

phil400
Cochise

Canada
456 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2017 :  10:02:32 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I was thinking of adding a ground direct like in Jim Hands book. It`s just odd that it just started out of the blue.

78T/A 4-SPEED Marty blue 400/milled 6x-4's/268H,comp roller tip rockers/ performer Q-jet/RA manifolds 2.25" exhaust with x-pipe/ mine since '99 3rd & final owner as long as I'm alive
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2017 :  10:24:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I had TWO bad from them for my SBC. One the post the weights hook too came off, weight went through rotor, broke it, cracked cap. Second rattled from new, the weights were loose. So, it would rattle from idle until you reved it to put tension on the springs. My pontiac ready to run didn't stop advancing, and didn't advance quick enough despite what the sheet said. Bill dialed it in for me.

The ground is easy to check, put a jumper wire on and test drive. but i'd swap another disty in JUST to rule it down to that, make sure it's ignition related.
Go to Top of Page

phil400
Cochise

Canada
456 Posts

Posted - 19 Sep 2017 :  10:39:09 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Cort, this summit one was always planned to be temporary. Guess I'll rebuild my original and throw it back in.

Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  07:18:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Magnetic pick-up? Check the magnet for cracks.

Go to Top of Page

phil400
Cochise

Canada
456 Posts

Posted - 20 Sep 2017 :  7:23:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes magnetic, I'll check that thanks.

Go to Top of Page

phil400
Cochise

Canada
456 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2017 :  07:01:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So the problem became much more consisent, basically all the time, I had randomly checked a few wires but now decided to go through all of them, sure enough # 5 wire had burned inside with no visible signs it was bad. swapped on a spare wire I had lying around and the engine runs fine. live and learn, should have taken the time to check every single one first.

I'll be shopping for new wires, I had accel on there for 15 years with no complaints, but now I've read the quality has dropped off in recent years. I was thinking Taylor, anyone run these or have another suggestion?

Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2017 :  09:29:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
For what it's worth, I've used Moroso's Blue Max Spiral Core since 1984 on my TA's engine; I'm on my second set. The first set was still working fine when a new set was purchased. The reason for the second set was because the 'blue' wires would not clean up after 25 years. They are not Pontiac V8 engine specific and require the enthusiast to measure and cut the wires to length and then install the ends and straight boots. It takes time...can't speak for Taylor or any other brand...never used them on the TA. However, I did use Accel wires on my old Blazer truck's Chevy engine and replaced them at 50,000 miles. I didn't re-order them as I went with some generic brand of assembled 8mm wire that worked fine too.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2017 :  09:44:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've run taylor and they've been fine and i like the stockish look of their black sets. Also napa wires have never let me down, they're dark blue and glossy.

How'd you find the number 5 was bad? Resistance test?
Go to Top of Page

phil400
Cochise

Canada
456 Posts

Posted - 26 Sep 2017 :  11:38:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks Bill.

Cort, yeah resistance test wasn't getting a reading I looked in the spark plug end boot and the actual metal clip seemed farther down in the boot so I thought a wasn't actually touching it, so I went to pull the boot off and the wire came apartment was completely black and burned up. I guess it had started "going" for awhile, not one crack or mark on the outside of any of the wires. I threw on one wire for now (Beldin Napa 8mm) till I get a new set,

Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3407 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2017 :  10:34:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When u have a dead wire, the spark goes to ground somewhere else. Closely check cap, rotor, and coil for burnt spots.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 27 Sep 2017 10:37:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

phil400
Cochise

Canada
456 Posts

Posted - 27 Sep 2017 :  2:39:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok thanks, I'll check it out.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: