New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

Gnnrunner
Tribal Scout

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 11 Sep 2017 :  12:44:47 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
New member here, and a new Pontiac guy (I have a '53 Ford F100, but don't hate me for it!). I have a 1974 Formula 400 that I won in a raffle in June from Kruisin Klassics. Guy they bought it from did not do the work on the engine. Nice car, but still needs work. I've been sleuthing to see what I have and have a question about exhaust manifold and cam. Block: YL, VIN matches so original 400 4bbl engine. Heads: 7K3, so seem to be 1972 250HP 400. I think those should have 96cc chambers, screw in studs and 2.11/1.77 valves. Intake manifold: 495106, so 1974 Firebird 4bbl. Rochester Q-Jet carb. Exhaust manifolds: 9796992-2 and 782810-1, so seem to be 1969 GTO. Cam, unknown, last owner only knew "Ram Air Street grind". Car has had a functional glass Ram Air hood installed, with appropriate air cleaner element. Believe the previous internal engine work was a simple rings/pistons/bearings job. With other things I will have to do to the car first, any internal engine work will need to wait for Phase 2. Questions for now: Are the 1969 GTO cast manifolds any good? Don't look like it. Without knowing what the cam is, any value to going to something like Ram Air Restoration's Ram Air style headers? And I'm assuming that with the Ram Air hood, I can't go to something like Edlebrock's Performer intake, as it is probably taller and would not work with the hood. Does "Ram Air Street grind cam" ring any bells? Thanks, lot's of good info on here!
Gnnrunner

KOJ
Tribal Scout

12 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2017 :  02:27:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You can't go wrong with ram air headers, I've used them and Pontiac engines really come alive with them. Not as good as long tube but don't have all the fitting/rustingout/leaking problems. Getting ready to put on long branch cast iron headers on my GP and tried the ram air first but they don't fit the b-body's unfortunately. They were designed for gto/firebirds ,and you'll love them.

63 GP 455/462,4 speed
Go to Top of Page

KOJ
Tribal Scout

12 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2017 :  02:32:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Forgot to mention, the performer manifold is about the same height as stock. The performer RPM manifold is taller and might cause some issues...
Go to Top of Page

Gnnrunner
Tribal Scout

USA
2 Posts

Posted - 12 Sep 2017 :  10:17:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for both those replies! Info on the Performer manifold is good news! The Performer intake and the ram air (style!) headers should help this engine combo. Thanks again.
Gnnrunner
Go to Top of Page

KOJ
Tribal Scout

12 Posts

Posted - 13 Sep 2017 :  12:30:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Not a problem, good luck and have fun...
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: