1968 Catalina 4-Door Sedan
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

D1onysus
Tribal Scout

9 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  12:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So, awhile back I traded a Yamaha XS750SE that had been in the shop for the entire six months I owned it for this 68 Cat. Ran fine, drove, decently, front end needs work, no big deal. The engine had been recently rebuilt by the previous owner and he went over the whole thing with me, what was working, what wasn't, etc. Ran into a few problems, not the least of which involves the infamous "Triangle of Death" air filter that came on it, but that's a story for another forum post elsewhere. Absolutely love the car though, do wish it wasn't the sedan, but it's still good fun.

Here's a very embarrassing video of me being way too excited when I first got it home, doing a walk around of it. I was off on a few things, I have a habit of mixing up thoughts when I'm excited.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0uaVL0_I5TE

1968 Catalina 4-door Sedan "Hispaniola"

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4795 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  08:00:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Does your mom know you talk like that?

I gather from the sneakers that you're in your 20s, so it's no surprise that this big Catalina is like a barge to you. Lots of cars from the 60s were long and wide with trunks that could hold enough Christmas packages for a family of 12. Driving a car with a hood that is half a football field wide is also problematic at first considering cars of today that typically have small 4 or 6 cylinder engines sport short sloping hoods.

Looking at the Catalina, it certainly is restorable. Body work is needed to repair rust and that's something a good shop could do. New paint and interior would make you proud to drive it.

Good luck with the Cat and enjoy the journey.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  08:44:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ahh the venerable yamaha triple. I had an XS850, nearly the same bike. Sounds like a radial engine when you're up there in the rpms. Congrats on the catalina, they're a great car. Honestly if i was going to build a track car, the b-body is where i'd want to start. I loved driving in my 66 while i had it.
Go to Top of Page

D1onysus
Tribal Scout

9 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  4:13:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yeah, my mom knows I talk like this, lol. I was in the Army, it's expected.

I've had big cars before, of one type or another, but I've been driving a 78 280Z that I've been restoring for the past couple years. One of my first cars was a 1980 Wagoneer, and another was a 78 Bronco, I also had a 91 Caprice at one point. It's just so wildly different than what I have been driving. I still can't park it very well. I do have a picture of it in a parking spot though and tires are basically on the lines on each side, so Oregon may just have small parking spots.

I was originally planning on tackling the rust myself, but I've since decided that for a first bodywork project, this is a bit much. There's a shop down the street that I've been meaning to get a quote from. The interior is my biggest worry, since there is no way that's going to be cheap, and it's white, which there is no way I'll be able to keep clean. Also, you can't see it with the carpet down, but at least on the front passenger side, the floor pan needs replaced.

Yeah, still in my 20's for another year.

1968 Catalina 4-door Sedan "Hispaniola"
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: