New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2017 :  12:55:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A co-worker ran this idea past me yesterday. He want to get the most pristine 2006 GTO and put it on blocks for 15+ years. He thinks it will go up in value.

Opinions?

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2017 :  1:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I guess it would depend on what he got it for, they still seem to demand a premium vs other 10 year old cars. You have to also consider that every year there's a bigger and badder muscle car out, they're not as mean as the last gto was when it dropped 10 years ago. however, when they came out, there wasn't 300hp V6s dropping from every mfr either, like there is now.

I'd say it's 50/50 at best. If you have a collection of GTOs of every year or generation, it wouldn't be a bad idea to round out your collection with a last gen model.

I haven't seen that collectability happen with the 350zs when they came back, or the 2005ish model mustangs, and i wouldn't expect to in 10-15 years, they'd be super cheap like a 90's camaro. 20 or 25 maybe, but now you're looking at electric vehicles and self driving vehicles + the main hobby average age, everyone dying off, killing the hobby, the demand, and the value.

Add in the cost of storing properly, and inflation killing the value of money, even if you made a 5k profit you likely lost money or broke even.

Edited by - cortcomp on 16 Aug 2017 1:23:54 PM
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 16 Aug 2017 :  3:20:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Well, when the "new" GTO came out, it was somewhat exciting that a new GTO would be sold by PMD. However, there was considerable controversy over it being a non-american muscle car being simply modified and rebadged. This bothered many of the die hard Pontiac enthusiasts that grew up with the original GTOs. This disfavor, I believe, will effect the new GTO's value in the future. Rare it will be but not necessarily highly collectible. But, once again, someone out there in car land will jump to own a low mileage 2006, and it may bring as much as it cost when new.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

loosetappet
Sitting Bull

113 Posts

Posted - 18 Aug 2017 :  12:41:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Many people think those GTOs are ugly. Just what I heard during the production run. In 2002 GM sold over 40000 Camaros. Four years later they could only sell 14000 GTOs. Which will be more popular in 15 years?
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 19 Aug 2017 :  8:13:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Non-Sequitur. The 2002 Camaro outsold the 06 GTO 3 to 1. But the latest gen Camaro makes the 2002 generation worthless. So rarity comes into play. But as everyone else said, the initial premise isn't good.

Go to Top of Page

loosetappet
Sitting Bull

113 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2017 :  10:32:42 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok, maybe not the most logical statement. I was just commenting on the relationship between popularity and sales. The Camaro sold more than the GTO when new, hence it was more popular as a new car. Fast forward 15 years. Is there a relationship between rarity and value? Yes, but it's not linear. So, buy a 2002 SS Camaro and a 2005 GTO (both LS2) and put them away. My feeling is the Camaro will be the better investment.
JMHO
Go to Top of Page

loosetappet
Sitting Bull

113 Posts

Posted - 22 Aug 2017 :  10:34:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BTW, in my neighborhood the 2002 Camaros are far from worthless (unless they are rusted to hell 3.8s LOL)
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  09:18:50 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Worth-less is a relative term. Just like Harley's Twin cam motor made the evolution bikes not worth selling. Same with the Mustang.

Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7219 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  09:54:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm not feeling positive about the 04-06 GTO's as a future investment. But I'm banking on the 89 TTA which is why I recently picked up a low mileage one to drive a little bit and mostly store away. I think they are going to soar in a few years although I don't expect them to do as well as the GNX. They're a bargain right now though.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5338 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  11:30:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Ah the venerable GNX. One of the ugliest performance cars IMHO, when i was a kid, beater versions of the same body style were all over. Always made be feel like that body style was always your aunts rusted buick. Great performance and they do collect some money.
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3128 Posts

Posted - 24 Aug 2017 :  11:42:26 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And they were Corvette killers.

Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7219 Posts

Posted - 25 Aug 2017 :  5:19:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yep, Corvette guys back then hated the GN's, GNX's and TTA's.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: