Correct timing tab?
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author  Topic Next Topic  

deez nuts
Buffalo

63 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2017 :  5:29:19 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hopefully my question is posted in the correct section.

I have a 77 T/A 400 4 Spd. I built a 461 Stroker using I believe a 71 year block. The harmonic balancer I have on the engine is from Butler Performance. My issue is that the new harmonic balancer is larger diameter than the original one and now the timing tab does not align properly.

Where or how do I get the correct timing tab that will work with my new harmonic balancer?

I think the balancer I have is at this linke: http://butlerperformance.com/i-24453461-powerbond-dayco-pontiac-1968-up-except-301-performance-street-4-bolt-harmonic-balancers-dampers-w-timing-marks-non-sfi-pbo-pb1056st.html?ref=search:http%3A%2F%2Fbutlerperformance.com%2Fsearch.html%3Fq%3Dharmonic%2Bbalancer

Thanks in advance for any guidance!

tjs44
Cochise

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2017 :  8:15:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Does yours have the removable bolt on timing tab?If so you will just need to establish TDC and bend the tab to clear and line up with your balancer or make one. Tom
Go to Top of Page

deez nuts
Buffalo

63 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2017 :  9:50:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd like to just buy one that is already the proper fit. That way it looks professional. Does anyone sell a part that fits my needs or is there something I can buy that's close enough that it wouldn't take much modification?
Go to Top of Page

deez nuts
Buffalo

63 Posts

Posted - 21 Jul 2017 :  9:51:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by deez nuts

I'd like to just buy one that is already the proper fit. That way it looks professional. Does anyone sell a part that fits my needs or is there something I can buy that's close enough that it wouldn't take much modification?

The one that I have is the original and is all one piece.

Hopefully that answers your question
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3370 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2017 :  10:24:03 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is it the 11 bolt or 8 bolt timing cover.

http://butlerperformance.com/c-1234742-engine-components-external-timing-covers-accessories.html

Bull Nose Formula, 461, TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2017 :  11:36:15 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Late 11 bolt covers dont have a castin timing tab,they use a bolt on.Tom
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5269 Posts

Posted - 22 Jul 2017 :  8:53:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
IIRC, there are two diameter balancers for the pontiac and they are interchangeable. Maybe someone else can confirm? Since it's not an SBC and you don't have to beat the crap out of it to get a balance on and off, maybe get the balancer to match the cover and swap them?
Go to Top of Page

deez nuts
Buffalo

63 Posts

Posted - 23 Jul 2017 :  11:43:01 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blued and Painted

Is it the 11 bolt or 8 bolt timing cover.

http://butlerperformance.com/c-1234742-engine-components-external-timing-covers-accessories.html

I am pretty sure it's the 11. Honestly I'd have to look at it to make sure but I'm 99% sure it's 11. Whatever would have come on a 77 trans am
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2017 :  4:54:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Like I said,there were diff style 11 bolt covers.See if your timing tab is castin or if it bolts on.Tom
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5269 Posts

Posted - 24 Jul 2017 :  9:35:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
the few 11's i had were cast on the cover, and i recall when looking for timing tape, it was all for the size balancer i didn't have.
Go to Top of Page

deez nuts
Buffalo

63 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2017 :  01:16:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
My timing tab is bolt on style. The problem is when I'm holding it to the timing cover to bolt on the area where the actual timing marks are is hitting the harmonic balancer. I wish I could post a picture of it on here. I have pictures showing the problem saved on my computer but for some reason I can't post them on the forum.

Can I email them to anyone?

Edited by - deez nuts on 25 Jul 2017 01:36:09 AM
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2017 :  10:09:40 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You need the cover with the cast in timing tab or need to fab a new one for your cover.Tom
Go to Top of Page

deez nuts
Buffalo

63 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2017 :  6:01:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I figured I would have to make something from scratch. Be nice if the aftermarket made something for this as I'm sure I'm not the only one with this problem.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5269 Posts

Posted - 25 Jul 2017 :  10:06:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
They do make a new, timing marks cast in timing cover.
Go to Top of Page

deez nuts
Buffalo

63 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2017 :  03:47:21 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by cortcomp

They do make a new, timing marks cast in timing cover.

If I bought the new timing cover that had the marks cast in it would definitely cause interference with the harmonic balancer. Plus they're pretty expensive.
Go to Top of Page

tjs44
Cochise

USA
381 Posts

Posted - 27 Jul 2017 :  10:09:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have not seen a balancer that would not clear a castin 11 bolt cover not work?Some of the 8 bolts wont clear some balancers.Tom
Go to Top of Page
   Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: