New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

FenixPhiendOwn
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2017 :  03:33:41 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hello everyone and thanks for having such a cool place to get advice etc. I'll start with a little basic info-

This is my first car build/rebuild and I'm 16 y.o. I have a pretty good grasp on how engines function but I am fairly new to 'Pontiac power' but I pick things up quickly most of the time.

I got a 79 T/A off craigslist almost a month ago. It had a 455 in it that I hoped and planned on changing some 'bolt-on' things and hopefully being able to use the base of the engine as it was. Well, that changed quickly when my dad pulled the distributor and we found more milk in her belly then a cow with twin calfs. Anyhow, a good surprise was the .030 rebuild the last owner claimed was actually a truth. And with TRW forged pistons and what my dad think may be a 'B&B'ed bottom end'?? He thinks maybe since its been drilled on the end weights outsides ends(with 1 partially refilled with some melted metal stuff but the other end has 4-5 drill holes) the rods are all stamped with the # cyl. they go in on the rod and cap and I noticed each piston has drill marks on the insides of them, some have more metal removed but some only a little and a couple nothing. I'm replacing the 7X5-2 with #62 heads. They have big valves in them.

It came with an older performer edelbroc manifold my dad said 'take to the scrapyard next trip' and put an old stock Pontiac pre EGR back, but I need a square bore to run the setup I planned on running in it. I was thinking a RPM A/G for my manifold and any ideas on that too would be awesome too. Dad said the camshaft erson hifl1 that came with it 'won't work and had an overzelous barber'(he really lost me here lol) and we'd absolutely not use that for this but for some reason is entirely leaving it to me to find a 'well suited cam' for it. And thats where I am at this point and I'd REALLY love a roller set-up but I am sure I will spend the extra $$$ having the bottom end cleaned up from the water leak in the vally cover, which I may need one of these too unless we can weld it.

Almost forgot to mention it came with 411(Dad says it could be a 410 if it matters) gears in the rear end(axle) and a TH 350 transmission but we drove 7 hrs. a couple weeks ago to pick up a 200r4 with a brand new TCC. Not sure if it matters but it has a tag on it that says TR on it and came from a mid 11second 1/4 mile car that is similar to dads car. He says it should bolt right up and has a great first gear. Also overdrive and can lock the clutch on it so it shifts good as a stick can after first.

Sorry for going into so much detail but I hoped it could help me find an awesome cam to match what I have. I almost forgot we are going to run 93 and build a custom meth-water injection system or maybe e85(not sure about e85 tho) and a fuel injection setup instead of a carb. Probably FI-Tech setup from Summit or Jegs. Thanks!!

[Edited into into paragraphs for easier reading--by webmaster]

Fledgling in the Flock

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3407 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2017 :  11:38:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
here is a list of pontiac chamber sizes and a compression calculator.
-- http://www.pontiacstreetperformance.com/psp/heads.html --
-- http://www.wallaceracing.com/cr_test2.php --

Compression ratio is a huge factor when picking a cam. Higher compression engines can tolerate more duration when speaking tune-ability and driveability.
Generally speaking, longer duration will increase rpm,s where higher lift will increase power.

Before changing camshaft, the water leak ( internal leak or rain water) must be repaired first.
Then preform a compression test to confirm all cylinders are within 10% of each other.

The eldebrock intake is a bit of a choke point on a 455. Not so much on a 350. Its not scrap metal.
You will need a minimum 750 cfm carb to feed the beast.

Here is good article on basic camshaft events
-- http://elgincams.com/campaper.html --

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 01 Jul 2017 12:02:03 PM
Go to Top of Page

Lee
Sitting Bull

101 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2017 :  11:40:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Lee's Homepage  Reply with Quote
FIRST, the "62" heads have too small of a chamber to use on a 455 with flat top pistons. Your compression ratio will be too high to use pump gasoline. MAYBE they would work with E85, but you'll need a carb that is special built/calibrated to work with the E85. Do some searching through the archives here, find a couple of compression ratio calculators online, and start playing around with them to get a feel for what will/will-not work for you. You'll probably end up looking for heads in the 90-100cc chamber size range.

2nd: Don't throw away the Performer intake. If you are going square bore (either carb or EFI) then I'd rather use the Performer than a factory intake w/adapter. In my own testing, the Performer was virtually the same as a stock pre-EGR iron intake.

3rd: There may be better cams out there, but if you are on a budget and the cam & lifters are in good shape, that cam should still run pretty decently in a pump gas 455.

Before you do ANYTHING though, you need to figure out where the water came from. Good luck!

CURRENT: '73 T/A clone, boring at the moment...
67 Firebird (sold) 11.27 @ 119.6 Feb. '05 issue HPP
69 Falcon wagon, 10.51 @ 130mph Feb. '10 issue PHR (sold)
72 Cutlass Convertible, first car, owned since '82, now with a 6.0 LS, mild, putting just under 400 hp/tq to the wheels.
www.LNLPD.com
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3407 Posts

Posted - 01 Jul 2017 :  12:05:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Welcome to PSP Owen..

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

pitts64
Sitting Bull

207 Posts

Posted - 31 Jul 2017 :  08:42:44 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dude use the 068, enjoy the torque and call it a day. Those new 6 cyls will blow you into the weeds so there's no sense trying.

I've seen so many nice running street motors ruined by long duration drag cams that only belong on a strip car..

Try to find the Nunzi 2041 cam.. It's a bear in the old 455.. The Summit 2802 is as big as I would go.. Find some low compression heads from 71 up and use the Summit 2801 (Jim Hands favorite).. Don't let them talk you into using hi compression heads with a big cam that bleeds off compression, it will run like crap on the street were you need instant torque, smooth idle and hi vacuum for the brake booster..

Edited by - pitts64 on 31 Jul 2017 08:50:07 AM
Go to Top of Page

FenixPhiendOwn
Tribal Scout

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2017 :  06:03:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey guys, thanks for your replies and advice. Sorry for taking SO long to get back. My summer was over too soon(mid Aug) and I worked alot, plus some other stuff too. Oh yeah, we also just had Irma rolld through and a big pine tree blew down on a corner of our shop. It barely stopped before hitting my T/A!!! Good news is machine work is about done but I needed a sleeve and had to go 060 over so new pistons etc. But its moving along and I'll try and post the pics of the tree and parts(which came in the same week the hurricane did!) as well as the machined components and a list of work they did. Thanks again for the advice! More details to follow. I gotta get ready for school so I'll check back soon

Fledgling in the Flock
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4794 Posts

Posted - 18 Sep 2017 :  08:21:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Owen--take your time with the car to do things right the first time. At 16, you're probably a little impatient about getting to drive your TA. This is a car that you will have lots of fun with in the future--maybe even keep it for many, many years. Just take your time and spend your money wisely.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: