New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ponchpowpow
Buffalo

42 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2017 :  4:14:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
hi everyone,

ive been looking for a 17" air cleaner lid and base for my newly rebuilt stock 400. i would prefer to have the stock appearance look but do not want the single snorkel or RA set-up nor do i want the local parts store universal lid and base. my Pontiac parts books list just the lid for 68's but no base. it looks like the only way to get the base is if i go with the snorkel or RA set-up. anyone have trouble finding the base when starting fresh? anyone have ideas or similar experiences looking for the base? is the 17" only available in the snorkel or RA? thanks.

carb: stock Qjet

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 26 Jun 2017 :  4:30:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
So the only options would be a dual snorkel base then, right? They're repopped for a couple hundred, or sometimes you can find them on ebay.

There's dual snorkels, ram airs, and single snorkels stock IIRC. I have a gorgeous early 70's camaro dual snorkel i need to get up for sale, but it has a 327 decal on it, and the snorkels were shorter and wider for the chevy's.
Go to Top of Page

ponchpowpow
Buffalo

42 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  12:36:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
im not really looking for the duel snorkel either. mainly needing the 17" base for the standard 68 appearing lid. my parts books list the lids for the 67-69 year but do not sell the base. only bases available come in the snorkel or RA options. thanks
Go to Top of Page

rkellerjr
Many Feathers

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  2:22:55 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You might buy one of the bases and then modify it to satisfy what your looking for. I'm going to be doing something similar when I move to EFI on my '75. Just modify my existing air cleaner base so my shaker/etc. all fit like they would have stock.

Rich
1975 TA - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aR86YT69yeY
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  3:45:55 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I'm confused...you don't want the single snorkel, dual snorkel, or RA...what's left? Am i forgetting something? Can you throw a link up to a pic that shows what you're after? Like this one?

https://gearheads.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/68-gto-engine-barrett-jack.jpg
Go to Top of Page

ponchpowpow
Buffalo

42 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  3:46:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
that's a good idea. the snorkel and RA set-ups are expensive tho. I might just buy the 2 piece RA base and lid for now then modify the base later. or just use the base as is. would it be wrong to us the RA base even tho the engine/car is not a RA? I have to admit that the RA base and lid look cool but in my case it would not be functional. any thoughts? thanks
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  3:49:20 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Nothing is really wrong if it's what you want. However, if the hood seals it off, then maybe the open element style is what you want?
Go to Top of Page

ponchpowpow
Buffalo

42 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  3:50:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cortcomp...that is correct, I don't want the duel or single snorkel or RA set-ups. also,I don't want the local car parts store generic chrome lid and base either. I see in my parts books that I can buy the after market original appearing lid from the 67-69s but no base is included...

but ill probably get the RA set-up as previously stated and see how it looks/works

Edited by - ponchpowpow on 27 Jun 2017 3:53:16 PM
Go to Top of Page

ponchpowpow
Buffalo

42 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  3:55:10 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cortcomp...when you say open element style, are you referring to the hood scoops been open to allow the air flow into the carb? thanks
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5335 Posts

Posted - 27 Jun 2017 :  6:42:29 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Open element being the generic kind where you see the air filter 360 degrees around the air cleaner. Here is an open element air cleaner:

https://cdn.barrett-jackson.com/staging/carlist/items/Fullsize/Cars/117422/117422_Engine_Web.JPG

I'm missing something in translation here. So, the base is the part with the snorkels or air inlets of some kind on it, and it sits on the carb. The lid is the flat frisbee part that goes on top and is usually chrome or black. The only factory bases that i know of are single snorkel, dual snorkel, and ram air. You're saying you don't want any of those three options, but then say you are looking in the parts book for the stock base part number. That number would give you a single snorkel, dual snorkel, or ram air base, which you say you don't want. You say it gives you a lid part number, which, honestly regardless of the GM make, 100 different lids will fit on those bases and look correct, just depends if you want black or chrome.

Can you go to http://images.google.com and then google like pontiac 400 engine, or 68 pontiac engine, and find a picture of one that shows what you're looking for? Right click the picture, click copy image address or copy, and then come paste the link here and we'd have a better idea which base style you'd like to find.
Go to Top of Page

ponchpowpow
Buffalo

42 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2017 :  10:51:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
cortcomp...I didn't realize that the only base available was in the single, duel snorkel or RA option. I thought maybe there was a standard 17", non-snorkel or RA, style base. good to know. ive decided to use the RA style base and lid. that being said, is it necessary to have the foam ring on the base so that it will seal to the bottom side of the hood when the hood is down? thanks
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3405 Posts

Posted - 28 Jun 2017 :  11:34:26 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This ram air dual snorkel has a K&N under the lid. The wing nut was new from Ace hardware then antiqued to match with cold blue for firearms.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 28 Jun 2017 11:43:37 AM
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: