New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

NOTROD
Two Feathers

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2017 :  7:59:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/general-motors/2017/06/06/shareholders-sound-off-at-annual-meeting/374425001/

Apparently some GM shareholders are concerned that they won't become overnight millionaires. Somebody at their meeting actually said that GM needs to figure out how to better market to millenials. Ludicrous, a good chunk of these young people have no disposable income and won't for sometime.
So anyway, I'm skimming through the comments after reading the article and saw the best comment. It said, "if GM wants to sell cars to millenials it needs to bring back Pontiac."

It's been said that some music/songs transcend time and I believe that. Maybe it's true of certain makes of automobile too.

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5354 Posts

Posted - 07 Jun 2017 :  9:13:13 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I have a friend who is a millennial, and his wife. No kids, both professionals. honda lovers forever. Finally got them over to GM for their latest leases. You know why they were honda forever? Because his parents told him that was the way to go. Millennials like to over-research everything. Afraid to pull the trigger on even small decisions. Marketing to millennial's is easy: Have shills post and recommend GM on sites where they ask what they should do, like reddit, and give uber and lyft drivers cars to use so they end up seeing the inside of one and go "hey, this is pretty nice!"
Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Two Feathers

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 08 Jun 2017 :  11:33:35 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're right about the hesitancy to make a decision and over researching. I'm sure that's a product of growing up with the internet and having all this "information" available at their finger tips. They are looking for a concensus and when they can't find one they don't know what to do. I've had a few straight out tell me that they are afraid to make the wrong decision. If it's a personal choice matter how can they be wrong?
I think all companies would be better off focusing on building a decent product at a price that their "target market" can afford rather than trying persuade them into buying an overpriced POS through crafty marketing schemes.
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3129 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2017 :  12:33:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Honda is the superior vehicle. GM is garbage.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5354 Posts

Posted - 09 Jun 2017 :  1:22:10 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've had the opposite experience here. Good friend has a new honda, overheating issue, has a new motor under warranty, STILL overheating. Other acquantances with transmission issues. Nothing crazy, but certainly not the "buy it and forget it" that they were in the early 2000s.

I feel hondas are just plain basic cars, nothing special. All of the GM's i've been in have been great. I think buick has really stepped up in quality, and style, for their market. Chevy has done a good job of being better at being the basic american transport car.

pricing i haven't compared, but the friend who went 2 GM leases couldn't get honda to touch the rate, he's super cheap and would cross allegiance to yugo if they leased and it was cheaper. I don't know why trucks are 30K+ though, only thing that holds value you in this area. It's still worth 50% 5-7 years later, cars can't touch them.
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3129 Posts

Posted - 03 Jul 2017 :  1:01:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least 12 law enforcement agencies in the SW are having fuel delivery problems with their Tahoes that GM can't fix. Things are gonna get interesting soon as there is a big meeting coming up in Phoenix with factory reps.

Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5354 Posts

Posted - 04 Jul 2017 :  08:37:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Up here it was the challenger's eating transmissions in police cars. Ram trucks suffered from the same for awhile. All in all though, i can't think of a car brand that i wouldn't accept if it was a screaming deal (save a jag, i'd always sell the jag before it could break down.) Hell, even Kia's are nice cars now.
Go to Top of Page

loosetappet
Sitting Bull

113 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2017 :  12:53:00 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

?What are we doing to win the hearts of drivers around the world? ? I just don?t see that passion for our vehicles. Can we do something??

My thoughts exactly. Young buyers will look at a WRX, a Ford ST, a Dodge RT, Civic SI, Audi S4 etc. Aside from a Vette or SS Camaro where is the comparable passion-inspiring vehicle in the GM lineup? Why don't those sweet twin turbos from Cadillac find their way into other lines? Where is the long-rumored Cruze SS with the 2.0L? The Aussies make a great car
(G8) and are rewarded with a complete pull out by GM. Feel free to add any of a multitude of other examples of corporate ineptitude. They make good cars and trucks, but most inspire no more passion than a toaster.
Go to Top of Page

Cobrabill
Talking Dog

Aruba
3129 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2017 :  11:02:55 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
GM has its head so far up its (collective) a$$,that it needs a glass belly-button to see where it's walking.

Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3415 Posts

Posted - 10 Jul 2017 :  12:54:20 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I started working for a huge corporation several months back.
Even on the local level, its way way top heave of management and reminds me allot of the Government job i had years ago.
In my department, there are 3 managers and 3 grunts. The grunts are over worked and the manager walk around spewing corporate cool-aid.
The higher you go, the tighter the management layers become. Massive department waist and high personnel turn-over seems to be of no consequence.

Each manager, all the way up the food chain, have there own pet peeves that all trickle down to the grunts.

I just keep my blinders on and preform the task at hand to the best of my ability.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.

Edited by - Blued and Painted on 10 Jul 2017 1:07:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

loosetappet
Sitting Bull

113 Posts

Posted - 15 Jul 2017 :  9:58:01 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
the soul is crushed inside a large org. Break free. Time waits for no man.
Go to Top of Page

Red Horse
Cochise

209 Posts

Posted - 28 Sep 2017 :  11:08:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Australia is out of the car building business. All they have are imports now.
Go to Top of Page

NOTROD
Two Feathers

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 12 Oct 2017 :  11:03:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
B & P and loosetappet,

Someone who has never worked for a large organization or corporation will never know how right you both are.
"Time waits for no man." Such a simple statement, yet so extremely profound.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: