New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob Kaplan
Cochise

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  10:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What brand of car paint have you used and are you happy with the results?? I'm repainting my GTO and would like some feed back. Thanks

The surgeon general said nothing about smokin a chevy...

Cartman
Sitting Bull

USA
224 Posts

Posted - 02 May 2007 :  10:32:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have used both PPG and DUpont, both are excellent paint systems.

Hippies, they say they want to save the world, but all they do is smoke pot and smell bad.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1050 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  12:00:36 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
PPG is some good product...as is DuPont.

I used Omni on my funny car body. It's PPG's "generic" brand. Shot 6 different colors on the car:

Black
Silver
Orbit Orange (with a ton of gold pearl mixed in)
2003 Viper Red
2003 Dodge Vibrant Blue
2003 Hummer Blue (Sky blue I think)

We used the base coat/clear coat system, and it turned out great, albeit the body has not left my garage since we placed it there on sawhorses in February 2006, so I can't really say how it's "held up". It's got many many coats of clear over it.

Now considering the clear...my painter advised not to go cheap on the clear if the car is going to see alot of sunlight and not be garage kept. He's had issues with the Omni brand of clear turning yellow over time, particularly noticabel on darker colors, on cars that spend most of their life outside in the sun/elements. He said it wouldn't be an issue for my car, or someone with a garage kept [pleasure car that isn't driven daily.

Will Rogers never met a liberal.
Go to Top of Page

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4797 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  06:32:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Bob,
I've used DuPont mostly and have been happy with the product overall. The last process was a base coat/ clear coat system. The times before that was acrylic lacquer without a clear. My painting experience is limited to my own cars spanning almost 40 years. The new paint processes the companies have are all pretty darn good. I choose DuPont the last time because of the convenient location of the paint store to me. I also was able to get literature on each product that helped me to apply the product correctly. I think that's important. If you can't get that, there's something wrong with the paint store. The process is critical today. If you're going to farm the painting out to someone else ask lots of questions. If you're going to do it yourself, look for a process that is "forgiving", that is, easy to apply and to correct if you goof. Finally, know the required saftey factors for your health. Some of this stuff can kill you or cause lasting problems for you brain and lungs.

Hey Brian, I'm looking forward to seeing the colorful paint scheme on the funny car. Will the car be ready this year?

Bill

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  11:37:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I've been using RM Diamont for the past few years with good results. I used to use Dupont but the store closed that sold it so I switched to RM. Ditto what Bill said on safety. I use a full face respirator. Remember your eyes absorb chemicals too and need protection as well as your lungs.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

Bob Kaplan
Cochise

USA
417 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  4:37:48 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for the info on the full face respirator. I'm no beginner when It comes to auto body, I worked for a Lincoln dealer back in the 80's doing jobs start to finish. Being out of it for 20 years I need to get back up to speed on all the new products.

The surgeon general said nothing about smokin a chevy...
Go to Top of Page

mike mcarthur
Pony that Jumps

USA
2475 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  4:52:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit mike mcarthur's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I understand the getting up to speed thing. I basically grew up in my Dad's shop in the 60's and 70's. When I left the Army in 91, I started to get back into it. What a huge change! I discovered things like if you put a base/clear over old lacquer primer/surfacer, the paint will lift right off. I understood very quickly that there are significant compatability issues with modern products. Best to pick one manufacturer and one line of product and stick with it from start to finish. Good luck in your endeavors.

It's the stuff you learn after you know it all that's important
Go to Top of Page

Brian Baker
Mongo

USA
1050 Posts

Posted - 03 May 2007 :  6:41:59 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Won't be ready for VMP, and I think I can safely say not for Norwalk either. I went to see the neurosurgeon on Tuesday about my back problems and he's going to schedule me for surgery within the next two weeks, with the surgery likely falling sometime in June. Not as major this time, just going to go in and carve away at the discs that are bulging and pinching nerves, rather than removing them and performing a boen fusion like he did 7 years ago on another part of my back.

For those wishing to look at the funny car progress, I'll make another post.

Will Rogers never met a liberal.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  8:27:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Brian, what's the waterless car wash you use?

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page

Christ
Howling Wind

USA
1808 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  9:00:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit Christ's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Phil

Brian, what's the waterless car wash you use?

I have one those buldging disk as well. Suxs getting older.Seems the winter not making feel any better either. I have tried those injection i gave up on those makes it hurt worse.

I feel your pain!
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7222 Posts

Posted - 03 Mar 2010 :  11:16:15 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Christ, try using the reply button rather than the quote button for each post. FYI my friend. ;)

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: