Brian R
Crazy Horse

USA
1660 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2017 :  8:27:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Warning!!!

Tubular A-Frames - dangerous - see link below

Classic sh!t Chinese ball joints.

Finally putting it together. Got the spring in, put the spindle back, snugged up the nuts on the ball joints, did not tighten much at all - figured I would get weight on, bounce the car up and down a few times and re-check to make sure they seated well and then tighten up - never got there. Both nuts spun right on clean. Put in the cotters, slowly let the jack down and the nut on the bottom ball joint sheered right off from the spring pressure. Sheered through the cotter pin too. I had not even backed off the spring compressor yet. Just a loud pop...

These ball joints are f@#king dangerous. I can only imagine if it had held initially and started I driving - possible death situation. My son drives this car too.

I should have listened to others and gone straight with some Moog ball joints. I thought, well, cash is short, they should last a while. I never even considered the damned metal in the stud
to be so bad that it would pop.

These should be outlawed as they are a serious hazard with those ball joints. I only hope the rest of the construction is safe.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161632556139?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4590 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2017 :  9:04:52 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Damn! Glad you weren't injured just putting them in. Glad you posted your experience. Stay safe.

Bill

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
Go to Top of Page

cortcomp
Coyote

USA
5200 Posts

Posted - 19 May 2017 :  11:30:11 PM  Show Profile  Visit cortcomp's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I ran those on my 71 but the balljoints had so much play they couldn't align it. Had to put moogs in. Had a CPP pitman arm, brand new, in my 56 straight up break (ball weld broke and dropped out) after 500 miles earlier this year.
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3320 Posts

Posted - 20 May 2017 :  10:49:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oh Snap!!
Does it take the standard ball joint per vehicle?
I would also keep and eye on the control arm welds after you have been thru a few road hazards.

Bull Nose Formula, 461, TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Phil
The Great White Buffalo

USA
7146 Posts

Posted - 25 May 2017 :  4:09:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Scary stuff. But is this really a surprise from ebay bargain parts? caveat emptor.

Bowties are for Pee-wee Herman. "Chevy": even the name sounds cheap, but not as cheap as your Pontiac will be with an LS transplant.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: