Car Show Tips for Displaying Your Car
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Boyle
Horse Feathers (Charter Member)

USA
4590 Posts

Posted - 17 May 2017 :  12:18:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Bill Boyle's Homepage  Reply with Quote
After refinishing the TA in '93, it was ready to participate in some Pontiac car shows. The car competed in open car shows too in Virginia and Maryland. The car had a modicum of success and several trophies are scattered about in the garage. Move ahead to the next century...

The car was still competitive in 2001-2003 in California but no recognition came from those efforts. After leaving California and retiring to South Florida, the TA soon lost it competitiveness so I proceeded to pursue more power in hopes of competing at the strip. Mods were made and power was increased. However, things just didn't work out as there were few people in my area that held the same interests as me. Consequently, as the car sat, it was decided to bring the car back cosmetically and compete in car shows in South Florida (Palm Beach, Broward and Dade counties). That became my focus for the TA. No more auto-crossing, no more drag racing or rallies.

Since 2009 I've competed in at least three dozen car shows with my 2001 Millennium Yellow Corvette Coupe. Corvette competitions are far more competitive than I ever experienced with the TA. There are only a few all Corvette shows that I've participated in, mostly are open shows.

What I've learned detailing the Corvette and competing has enhanced my appreciation of what must be done to have success is showing a car. Here are some tidbits--

Condition of the car's paint is very important. Great paint doesn't have to be new but it must be free of acid rain, water spotting, and swirls.

Also important is what I will call contrast. Your car must contrast itself with itself. The paint must pop, the wheels, wheel wells, tires, rims, chrome, black trim must jump out and contrast itself with the paint--whatever color it is.

Detailing, means just that. It deals with the small stuff. Emblems can't have remnants of polish or wax. Dirt can't exist anywhere. The car must pass the white glove test. inside and out. Glass must sparkle. Chrome must sparkle and swirls on chrome--doesn't work for the judges.

Rims are very important to the overall appearance of the car. Scuffed rims with dings and curb rash--defeats an other wise great paint job and a car clean as a whistle.

Carpeting must be devoid of particles, dirt, lint, and dog hair. At show time, the trunk should be empty but for jacks, tires, etc. Coolers, chairs, hats, rain gear etc...out of the car.

When the judges come to your vehicle, be there to answer questions and to open the doors, trunk etc, if asked. The hood must be open. There may be questions asked about the engine. The engine bay has to really sparkle--not dirt, no grime, no oil, nothing that looks bad or out of place.

So, there you have it--tips culled from experience.

I hope that all of you competing in car shows have great success. Good luck.

"Dedicated to keeping the classic Pontiac engine alive."

----
400 bored +.030, forged TRW pistons, ported 62 heads, Hedman headers, 2.5 SS dual exhaust X Pypes, Comp 276AH10 cam, Scorpion 1.65 RR, 850 Q-jet, stock intake & tuned HEI; original owner.
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: