New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

edbird
Tribal Scout

9 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2017 :  8:11:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hi there,

I was wondering maybe someone could help me out on a warm start issue with my carter. It's a 9755s 750 AFB on a performer intake. It seems as though when I need to start the car while it is warm, fuel has been boiling into the intake and floods it. It takes a good while to start and obviously something is wrong. I already have a 3/8" insulating gasket and the car doesn't overheat. So I can't imagine what the problem could be. Any help is appreciated.

tjs44
Cochise

USA
412 Posts

Posted - 09 May 2017 :  9:42:39 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Next time you go out to start it(not after it sit over night)remove the gas cap a listen for any noise.I had a issue with my 69 bird having the gas expand in the tank when it sat in the sun,even with a vented cap but no return line and would push fuel past the needle and seat making it hard to start.I found the vented cap would only let air in,not out.I ended up drilling a very small hole in the cap and it became a non issue.Tom
Go to Top of Page

edbird
Tribal Scout

9 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2017 :  5:46:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tjs44

Next time you go out to start it(not after it sit over night)remove the gas cap a listen for any noise.I had a issue with my 69 bird having the gas expand in the tank when it sat in the sun,even with a vented cap but no return line and would push fuel past the needle and seat making it hard to start.I found the vented cap would only let air in,not out.I ended up drilling a very small hole in the cap and it became a non issue.Tom

That does make sense, but I have a return line that isn't actually hooked up to anything so it does vent to the atmosphere. I know it's not very smart and will be addressed shortly, but it should mean that my issue is not one of venting. Thanks for your input anyhow.
Go to Top of Page

68bird
Sitting Bull

USA
221 Posts

Posted - 10 May 2017 :  6:43:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Had the same issue with my demon once I switched to an all aluminum top end. The 3/8 spacer helped but didn't completely solve the issue. I fabricated a nice polished aluminum heat shield to go under it and have minimal issue since. I think I cut it out of 1/8"? It didn't take much time and looks pretty nice. I've had a few people ask where I bought it from. Might be worth a try.

Robb Hermes
Go to Top of Page

Blued and Painted
Chief PONTIAC

USA
3406 Posts

Posted - 11 May 2017 :  11:36:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fuel boiling in the float bowl after shut down is nothing new or abnormal. The problem is when it comes out the main jets and raw fuel goes down the intake creating a flood.
Float level could be a bit high. Or the needle and seat is leaking, letting residual fuel pump pressure to enter the carb after shut down.

Bull Nose Formula/ 461/ Q-Jet/
TH400/ 3.08 8.5 / R44TS.
Go to Top of Page

Dweld02
Tribal Scout

8 Posts

Posted - 14 Jun 2017 :  11:35:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Blued and Painted

Fuel boiling in the float bowl after shut down is nothing new or abnormal. The problem is when it comes out the main jets and raw fuel goes down the intake creating a flood.
Float level could be a bit high. Or the needle and seat is leaking, letting residual fuel pump pressure to enter the carb after shut down.

That makes sense on how they got flooded.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Pontiac Street Performance © 2006-2017 Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. This Site Sponsored By: